PDA

View Full Version : buying a snowboard?

sml
01-26-2005, 03:13 PM
When's the best time of the year for getting good deals on some snowboards? I know ski cellar and sport chek are having some crazy sale this week, but is there a bigger, better sale towards the end of the season (say in April/May)?

sml
01-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah, maybe some recommendations for not too expensive brand for boards/boots for a beginner! :thumbsup:

abyss
01-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by sml
Oh yeah, maybe some recommendations for not too expensive brand for boards/boots for a beginner! :thumbsup:

My board, boots and binding are all LAMAR form sportmart. I have been VERY happy with all of them and they have lasted me over 4 years now. The only thing I could reccomend for a beginner is that you get a board that's not too stiff, makes learning to turn MUCH easier. :thumbsup: and DO YOUR RESEARCH, find what is within your budget and fits your needs.

Welcome to the sport! It's DAMN addictive! :D

3g4me
01-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Usually during summer is the best time to buy snowboard equiptment. try looking at burtons low end boards, lamar's low end boards, k2 satellite, santa cruz, pretty much any board at sport check is a beginner board. You should just wait untill summer and buy a nice pro model board, you wont regret it and it will last you longer then some crap board from sport check. TIP: Dont cheep out on boots and bindings. TIP 2: The guys at sport check have no clue at all about what they are talking about when it comes to snowboards. Go to chico, skaters, and source and ask them to explain the difference between boards and the pro's and cons of each, that should answer alot of your questions and youll be that much smarter.:thumbsup:
hope that helps

Kirbs17
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Id say go to The source everyonce in a while, and see if they have any layways. I got my Burton 162 FL PRO board there at 60% off because some guy never came and picked up the board after he put a deposit on it. Also, if they dont have anything, end of season sales IMO are gonna bring the best deals. Id say k2 bindings, or lamar bindings, vans boots, and a lower option board would be good.

3g4me
01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
oooooohhhhhhh nnoooooooo say no to K2 bindings, i snaped those cheap things after 1 day riding. Other then that the set up Kirbs17 said sounds pretty good.

rc2002
01-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey Les, wait till end of season. That's the best time. Actually, go the day before the sale. They usually still give you a deal, you won't have to wait in line and everything won't be picked through already!

RiCE-DaDDy
01-27-2005, 02:38 AM
be wary of burton boards, they use their own pattern which is nice but forces u to use burton bindings...

ryder_23
01-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
be wary of burton boards, they use their own pattern which is nice but forces u to use burton bindings...

no, u just need the 3 bolt center battern. Which you can pick up. I know alot of riders with burton boards, and non burton bindings. Alot of them come with universal center mounts for this problem anyways...

I've had alot of burton products over the years. There bindings work great, boards great, boots great. Some of it is a little pricey, but work well. K2 bindings,i do not like, even the "high" quality versions, dont seem to meet the "low" quality burton ones.

Its all personal choices. Maybe you can borrow a friends board to get into it this season, and then purchase some stuff at the end of year sales :thumbsup:

3g4me
01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I heard this year's burtons are ditching the 3 bolt pattern. Maby next years not sure.

mazda_maniac
01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Thsi year burton ditching the 3 bolt pattern? Who the hell told you that if anything they made a change in the other direction. Take a look at this year's Uninc its a two bolt pattern. If you are just beginning snowbaording get a softer flex board. A softer flew is more forgiving to a beginner. Also get about the same level bindings and boots. You'll also have to decide whether you will just want to use it riding or if you're going to plan on eventually hitting jumps. End of the year is best for sales or even middle of the summer, they'll be wanting to get rid of last years stock for the upcoming year. Dependant on what you want a Burton Dominant would work well as a learning board, and then its got the park feel to it. Check out some Capita's, Jeenyus, Forum, Burton, Sims, K2, Rome, Rossignol, Academy. There's lots of brands, go with something with a better reputation though.

3g4me
01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Thats just what i heard, i dont know. I dont like burton i think their all gimics, im actually against burton, but if you want the same board allmost everybody has on the mountain GO FOR IT.

blinkme_210
01-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't use non-Burton bindings on a Burton board. My friend had to send his in for warranty work, cause his board was cracking. However, Burton refused to honor the warranty, because they could tell that he used a non-Burton binding just by looking at the imprint of the mounting plate. $400 board down the drain :thumbsdow

SOAB
01-27-2005, 11:04 PM
if you are on a budget, get a cheaper board, but good boots and bindings. if your feet hurt cause your bindings suck and are cold cause your boots suck, you won't have any fun. a cheap board will still get you down the hill.

hampstor
02-03-2005, 09:01 AM
if you're a beginner, get a cheaper board with good bindings and good boots. You're probably going to end up scratching/chipping it to hell as a beginner. No sense in spending money on a more expensive one until you're better. You can carry over the bindings and the boots (generally).

If you don't plan to buy right now, they're usually cheapest right at the end of the season. Even buying a used rental board from a good place may be a good idea. Again, just make sure you get good boots/bindings.

Lasz
02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I rented the first few times, until I was confident that I wouldn't f*ck up my own board then bought one. I think it's better to go for an intermediate board b/c you wanna replace the beginner board after a season and end up spending more in the long run.
just a side note: I have a burton board with ride bindings, it all works great.