PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Classes in Calgary

awd
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I am interested in taking some cooking courses in Calgary -- not as a trade.

Other than SAIT, does anyone know of any specific courses offered in town?

QuasarCav
01-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Willow Park wines and spirits runs a cooking course. More of a Wine pairing course but it's informal and will give you some ideas.

The library offers some but they might be a 30min meals kind of thing.

What are you looking for? General knowledge or a specific style?

sputnik
01-26-2005, 04:19 PM
One of the Italian Supermarkets in Bridgeland has Italian cooking classes. I dont remember which one though.

gggunit
01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
a friend of mine is an awesome cook.. he teach's at the cookbook company.. go there they have class's if you want 1 on 1 he might be able to do it for the same price of a class.

awd
01-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by gggunit
a friend of mine is an awesome cook.. he teach's at the cookbook company.. go there they have class's if you want 1 on 1 he might be able to do it for the same price of a class.

I was actually looking at their courses -- thanks for the heads up.

Gondi Stylez
02-10-2005, 12:32 AM
ill teach u for basically nothing!

whatever it is u wanna learn odds are i can make it! PM me if ur interested!

i use alot of my own receipes so u will learn more techniques and cusine then learn to create your OWN style of food! :thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by gggunit

whats ur friends name? and what type of cusine does he prefer? i may be interested in 1 on 1 for skill honing!

awd
02-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
ill teach u for basically nothing!

whatever it is u wanna learn odds are i can make it! PM me if ur interested!

i use alot of my own receipes so u will learn more techniques and cusine then learn to create your OWN style of food! :thumbsup:

Are you a chef? Don't get me wrong, I can cook -- really well actually, just would look some professional training on some more complicated sauces and classic french dishes.

Gondi Stylez
02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by awd

Are you a chef? Don't get me wrong, I can cook -- really well actually, just would look some professional training on some more complicated sauces and classic french dishes.

haha no im not, but i am a personal chef!! yes i guess the reson why u want some classes is the same reason why i want some! o well, worth a shot!

300rwhp
02-13-2005, 07:47 PM
i suggest you try this out
go to a restaurant that is quality and ask to speak with the chef when it is not busy and not on the weekend so try for a monday or tuesday
express your interest to him and ask if he would accept a volunteer make sure the place is good and hope for the best has worked for many people including myself and daniel boulud a michelin starred chef otherwise join egullet

awd
02-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
i suggest you try this out
go to a restaurant that is quality and ask to speak with the chef when it is not busy and not on the weekend so try for a monday or tuesday
express your interest to him and ask if he would accept a volunteer make sure the place is good and hope for the best has worked for many people including myself and daniel boulud a michelin starred chef otherwise join egullet

Thats actually a good idea, thanks -- and I have been an egullet member for a long time :D great forum.

ole dsm
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
if u guys want some tips , just ask away

i was a profesional chef for 12 years , apprenticed in germany , and travelled around the world .

the swankiest hotels/restaurants i worked for:
bridenbacher hof- germany
suveretta house- switzerland
laCoquile - bermuda
south hampton princess- bermuda

DowntownCowboy
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
My work had a team building at The Cookbook Company. We had Judy Wood, a Parisian trained chef who uses lots of butter and cream. It was a lot of fun, educational, and we had unlimited red wine :)

Oh ya, food was great too. We did Italian.

danno567
04-06-2005, 08:34 AM
if you have questions about the classes offered at the cookbook company, pm me. I assist in some of the classes there. The food is amazing, and you will learn lots with the "hands on" approach.

-d