PDA

View Full Version : 3 series in snow

g-mcstud
01-26-2005, 04:51 PM
What are they like? I've heard conflicting reports from various people. Some say they are amazing in snow due to their weight distribution and traction control and some say they are just brutal.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say E36 3 series, and would like to know especially about 2 door coupes.

C4S
01-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by g-mcstud
What are they like? I've heard conflicting reports from various people. Some say they are amazing in snow due to their weight distribution and traction control and some say they are just brutal.

Thanks

yes ! they are amazing on snow ! ( late model, with DSC/ASC plus snow tires )

One of my my friend, he has a 2002 A4 and 2002 325i .. A4 with all-season and 325 with snow tires now .. he end up like the 325 more on snow .. and rather drove it in the past few weeks ! :thumbsup:

For last 10 years + I never got problem with 3 series on snow. ( I am from EDMONTON ) :thumbsup:

Kaos
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
You're going to get a mixed bag of answers.
I dont have traction control on my 3 series but winter tires are a definate must.
They rock with winter tires on.

bol
01-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I've had an '01 330Ci and I have a '98 328is right now. Both were winter driven.

They're AMAZING in the snow. With good winter tires and the proper driving attitude they are great to drive. I regularily pass SUV's and trucks uphill.

Traction control can be a bit intrusive at times and you do need to turn it off occasionally when on deep snow or very slick ice to get going from a stop.

Anyone who says they're not good in the snow isn't running the proper tires.

RSeXy
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Sam's 330ci has traction control and winters and its amazing! Much better than any AWD/FWD I've driven.

He also had a 323i with TC and winter tires and same results.

BMDUBS
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bol
I've had an '01 330Ci and I have a '98 328is right now. Both were winter driven.

They're AMAZING in the snow. With good winter tires and the proper driving attitude they are great to drive. I regularily pass SUV's and trucks uphill.

Traction control can be a bit intrusive at times and you do need to turn it off occasionally when on deep snow or very slick ice to get going from a stop.

Anyone who says they're not good in the snow isn't running the proper tires.

Totally agree, good driving attitude is key. I do not have traction control, but LSD, with Michelin Pilot alpins 225/45/17. I have even better performance with 205/60/15 winters but they are good either way. Narrower the better.

t-im
01-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't have traction control on my bmw and it handles fine with good winter tires and sandbags in the trunk

in e46, it's even easier with asc+dsc

m10-power
01-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Non traction controlled, non LSD E36 on all seasons and never an issue in the winter and I live in the 'country'. Calgary doesn't get enough snow during the winter to warrant 'snow' tires, perhaps if your going alot of highway winter driving.

E36's are amazing handling cars, very balanced. Pitch the car sideways and hit the brakes, it straightens right up. This chassis would make an awesome drifting car.

2m0a0x2
01-26-2005, 07:44 PM
E36 with traction control here, and I must say they really DO rock. A few friends of mine couldn't make it up a hill with FWD, I had no problem. However, the ASC light was on constantly. And I have winter tires.

g-mcstud
01-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Calgary doesn't get enough snow during the winter to warrant 'snow' tires,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

so you're one of them

Clockwork
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

so you're one of them

g-mcstud, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!

how can having ice and snow on the roads NOT warrant winter tires Does your life mean NOTHING to you? I drive a 2001 330Ci with new winters and asc and it is great, BUT it still should have winter tires just to provide extra acceleration in times of need, or better traction for braking, HOW IS THAT AN OPTION?

ACS-e36
01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
i love the winter! i have no asc+t just winter tires and a few sandbags. i have no problems what so ever.

SteveMo600
01-27-2005, 12:07 AM
I drove a 95 318i for a couple winters and didn't have a problem at all. Considering the car isn't too fast, I didn't have any trouble on icy days. I just had All Season tires and a sandbag in the trunk. RWD isn't that bad as long as you're not a dumbass driver.

m10-power
01-27-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Clockwork

g-mcstud, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!

how can having ice and snow on the roads NOT warrant winter tires Does your life mean NOTHING to you? I drive a 2001 330Ci with new winters and asc and it is great, BUT it still should have winter tires just to provide extra acceleration in times of need, or better traction for braking, HOW IS THAT AN OPTION?

One of them what, people who know how to drive?

Snow tires are great, but certainly not required.

bol
01-27-2005, 10:59 AM

One of them what, people who know how to drive?

Snow tires are great, but certainly not required.

You said you used all seasons right?

I know on my summer tires I wouldn't be able to make it up the hill to my house so for me winter tires are a must. I'm not willing to sacrifice performance with all seasons.

digi
01-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I have 01 325i with NO winter wires, just all seasons. Been driving it all winter and had no problems. Never been stuck or anything. It was brutal at first wen i didnt know how it would drive then I put sand bags in the trunk and its not so bad. I havent had a problem Once I got a feel of how the car handles in the ice/snow. Although, it does get a bit sketchy going around corners, just have to take it extra slow.:drama:

max_boost
01-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Snow tires are a must IMO, just because I'm always on the road, whether it's doing deliveries, or just cruising out and about.

Not much to talk about, one set of tires for summer, one for winter, you don't have to get new tires for years.:thumbsup: Really affordable if you ask me.

I've never driven with the stock summers on my 330 in the snow, if I did, I bet it wouldn't get me anywhere.

brandon
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Snow tires are a must IMO, just because I'm always on the road, whether it's doing deliveries, or just cruising out and about.

Not much to talk about, one set of tires for summer, one for winter, you don't have to get new tires for years.:thumbsup: Really affordable if you ask me.

I've never driven with the stock summers on my 330 in the snow, if I did, I bet it wouldn't get me anywhere.

agreed my mom has a 330ci with snowtires and it out performed my x5 in snow!

m10-power
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Well one would expect summer tires to be of no use in the snow...which they are.

I have one set of summer wheels and one set of the other seasons wheels.

The problem with snow/ice tires is they wear out very quickly on dry roads, where as the all seasons I run, conti extreme contact, actually handle very well in the dry yet are no problem in the snow. Again Calgary doesn't get enough snow to be an issue.

BMDUBS
01-28-2005, 12:09 AM
I have experienced snow/ice with winter, summer and all season tires. Summer tires, youll be lucky to get out of the driveway. As for all seasons, they are adequate if you arent driving like a jack ass and realise and test you grip levels and winters are ultimate for acceleration and braking confidence. I agree that Calgary doesnt get enough snow to really need dedicated winters but all seasons are a must.

GT4rally
01-28-2005, 12:09 AM
The snow is not the problem, it's the amount of ice on Calgary roads that make winter tires mandatory... especially with stiff suspension and rear-wheel drive! A set of Nokians or Kummos with lots of "sipes" will transform your BMW from quite scary, to very capable on winter roads... it will cut your stopping distance IN HALF. Ask anyone who sells tires for a living and they will tell you that "All Season Tires" is just a marketing ploy. All seasons are really just for summer/wet use.

m10-power
01-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Anyone who sells tires for a living see's the value in pushing winter tires.

My car rides on FK konigsport coil overs, and urethane bushings all round. The e36 is just a really great chassis for all conditions on the road.

The only thing scary on ice road days are other drivers, extra effort and attention is paid to them.

GT4rally
01-28-2005, 04:30 AM
A good friend of mine is a district manager at Kal Tire. He will tell you that the general public (who think that a tire is a tire) doesn't want to fork-out the cash for 2 sets of tires/wheels (summer and winter) for a single car. Therefore, the tire manufacturers market "all season" tires, even though they know these tires are only suitable for dry and wet conditions.

Granted, winter tires do wear-out quite quickly on dry pavement, but will last at least 2-3 seasons if you don't drive like you're on a solo course. Also, they have the added bonus of allowing you to avoid those "other drivers" much more easily.

Slap a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI to your Bimmer, and then tell me how effective your summer tires are... smartest 600 bucks you'll ever spend on your car.

m10-power
01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
?

I've driven on winter tires, and came to the conclusion that they are not worth it on our roads.

I don't drive on summer tires in the winter, not sure what thread your reading.

Again if I sold tires I'd recommend winters as well.

bol
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
95% of people in calgary probably drive on all seasons year-round and they seem to get around just fine.

For the rest of us... it's cheap insurance. I know for me that if i'm going to spend money on an extra set of wheels/tires they might as well be winters :)

SuPhistiKatEd
01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
I have heard great things about these BMW's in snow. As long as you have winter tires, you will be just fine. Don't drive on summers as they are made of a different rubber compound and will harden under harsh temperatures. You can get away with all seasons, but winters are a great investment.

It's not an e36, but my father has an 03 e46xiT with a set of winters...absolutely incredible in the winter!!

interlude
01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
I bought 16 inch Micheline X-Ice for my e46. I would say they are the best investment into my car so far. I have all seasons on my other set of rims and they SUCK in the winter (they are pretty new.. I would say 85% rubber left) The x-ice bites really hard into the snow.

You cant put a price on safety, I never trust all seasons for the winter.. if you do use all seasons.. your just part of the reason why theres so much ice at traffic intersections. Assholes like you put others in danger! :thumbsup: (just kidding about the asshole part.. well.. kinda)

When we had our week of -30 and below weather.. the intersection at sacee trail and john laurie blvd.. (turning lane on to john laurie) there is usually a stretch of black ice.. why? because all I see is people stepping hard on the gas causing more friction on the ice.. for me.. I gas slowly.. traction control kicks in a bit.. and im off.. no problems.

GT4rally
01-28-2005, 04:38 PM
?
I don't drive on summer tires in the winter, not sure what thread your reading.

My whole point was that people, in general, don't realize that:
All Season Tires = Summer Tires

Originally posted by bol
95% of people in calgary probably drive on all seasons year-round and they seem to get around just fine.

Do they?
When it's minus 20, the roads are completely covered with snow and you're more likely to get an icing call than a traffic violation at an intersection, I'd say, everyone is on borrowed time... I've seen (and been in) many accidents that could have been avoided if all involved had proper winter tires.
Actually, I'm surprised that insurance companies haven't caught on to this and offer discounts for vehicles equipped with the "Severe Service Emblem", which all true winter tires have.

bol
01-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

Do they?
When it's minus 20, the roads are completely covered with snow and you're more likely to get an icing call than a traffic violation at an intersection, I'd say, everyone is on borrowed time... I've seen (and been in) many accidents that could have been avoided if all involved had proper winter tires.
Actually, I'm surprised that insurance companies haven't caught on to this and offer discounts for vehicles equipped with the "Severe Service Emblem", which all true winter tires have.

Regardless of that fact it's unlikely (but not necessarily unreasonable) that people are going to equip their cars with winter tires. Not everyone can afford to do so and even if they can; often don't care. You have to take into account the general arrogance and misinformation that is abundant when talking about any topic, especially one that is taken so emotionally as vehicles.

That is exactly why I run winter tires - so that I can be responsible for my own safety and have the ability to avoid those who don't care.

E36M3
01-28-2005, 05:18 PM
The only 3 series I have driven in the snow is a 95 M3 without traction control, and it is the best winter car I have ever driven.. this is without winter tires, but I would highly recommend slapping them on.

When I put winter tires on my SL55, it went from certain death to a snowmobile.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say E36 3 series, and would like to know especially about 2 door coupes.

GT4rally
01-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bol
That is exactly why I run winter tires - so that I can be responsible for my own safety and have the ability to avoid those who don't care.

...couldn't have said it better myself!

That said, the E36 and E46 are very capable winter vehicles (especially with stability control) if proper tires are installed.

quad_turbo
01-28-2005, 06:35 PM
how much would a set of really good winter tires run me for a '92 318i??

Kaos
01-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by quad_turbo
how much would a set of really good winter tires run me for a '92 318i??

Kinda need more information.
tire size?
The pricing for winter tires varies.

I would say mine cost around 150 a tire (Dunlop Graspic DS-2)

FiveFreshFish
01-28-2005, 11:57 PM
My snow tires are worth their weight in gold on those few winter days in Calgary when they're really needed.

Wearing out my snow tires means I don't wear out my expensive summer tires.

She's a good winter car. :love:

interlude
01-29-2005, 03:16 AM
I bought the Michelin X-Ice at about $198 per tire

2m0a0x2
01-29-2005, 12:56 PM
My dad's 545 came with tires that were supposedely all season, and the very first snow storm we got, he got stuck and couldn't make it up a hill, and I had to go get him. I just took the M3 and I had winters on and got him home in no time:D

Snow tires are a MUST.

GT4rally
01-30-2005, 02:30 AM
If price is a factor, you can get good Kumho KW19 winter tires for cheap from "My Tires" in the N.E.

15" start at around $75 each, and 16" start at $100 each. My girl friend got them for her car and they work just as well as my Nokians (under $500 balanced and installed).

It's a small shop, but he's a nice guy and he knows what he's doing... quick too, we were in and out in less than an hour.

www.mytires.ca

T-Dubbs
02-12-2005, 04:29 AM
my modded e30 with no traction control is great especially with good winter rubber

raishin
02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
DSC+winter tire is all you need.
or simply get the XI awd, then you don't even need winter tires :burnout:

t-im
02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by raishin
DSC+winter tire is all you need.
or simply get the XI awd, then you don't even need winter tires :burnout:

:rolleyes:

Ben
02-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by t-im

:rolleyes:

Not sure what you're rolling eye at but my Audi Quattro is amazing on ice and snow with bald Bridgestone Potensa RE92's.

AWD in cars is a lot different than SUV's, dont have the weight and high center of gravity in the equation.

Ferio_vti
02-22-2005, 10:44 PM

The problem with snow/ice tires is they wear out very quickly on dry roads,

That's not exactly true. Winter tires wear out quickly at outside temps over 0-5degrees.
If it -10 and 'dry' roads, winter tires don't wear out that quickly. Winter tires have better traction on those cold 'dry roads' better than all seasons. There's always that bit of sheet ice from exhaust/condensation.

The_Doctor
02-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Not sure what you're rolling eye at but my Audi Quattro is amazing on ice and snow with bald Bridgestone Potensa RE92's.

AWD in cars is a lot different than SUV's, dont have the weight and high center of gravity in the equation.

Well it may help you get off the line and not stuck but it sure isnt going to be much use during braking, and only sort of helpful in the corners.

Snow tires are by no means required, if they make you feel warm and fuzzy by all means :rolleyes:

t-im
02-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ben

I drive a 02 E320 4M throughout the winter and I just find that their is a noticeable difference with and without them. Especially where I live they really help w/emergency braking (deer, etc etc), and all the other good stuff - that's just what i think.

ZorroAMG
02-23-2005, 11:56 AM
My car, while it is not the same as an E36 series, has the same basic principles: RWD, German, torquey, no TC/ESP and the car is night and day with Winters as opposed to all seasons. Calgary gets more than enough snow to warrant them if you actually drive where other cars do.

ESP on newer MB's is the most fantastic technology IMO (is that similar to the ASC on a BMW?) and all cars should be equipped with something similar. Keeps shitty drivers from hitting good drivers like us in the winter :D.......

t-im
02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
My car, while it is not the same as an E36 series, has the same basic principles: RWD, German, torquey, no TC/ESP and the car is night and day with Winters as opposed to all seasons. Calgary gets more than enough snow to warrant them if you actually drive where other cars do.

ESP on newer MB's is the most fantastic technology IMO (is that similar to the ASC on a BMW?) and all cars should be equipped with something similar. Keeps shitty drivers from hitting good drivers like us in the winter :D.......

ESP is similar to DSCIII

keroppi
03-17-2005, 01:16 AM
I have had no problem with my 330i on snow for 2 winters in Calgary as long as I have the winter tires. With summer tires, I was once stuck on my own driveway :P
Anyway, I think the bimmer is just handling fine on snow even with rear wheel drive -- i actually like a bit of oversteering which could be controlable by throttle and counter-steering. The traction control is a safe feature but i often find it's too intrusive if you know how to control the car yourself. I just wish there's a way to turn it off by default and i can activate it only when i want it :)