PDA

View Full Version : supra

90Tegra
01-26-2005, 08:34 PM
can anyone tell me why toyota stopped making the supra?

A_3
01-26-2005, 08:40 PM
From what I know they became too expensive to be practical. In the early 90's every company was making relatively high performance sports cars because there was a huge market for them. Mitsubishi 3000gt, Toyota Supra, Nissan 300zx, etc... At first the cars were affordable and people ate them up, but as time went on the cars became better and these improvements began to cost. The price tag became too high for the average joe interested in a sports car but the cars weren't prestigious enough for the people with money who bought cars like Porsches. All three of the cars listed above were eventually phased out by there respective companies. It's shame they were all beautiful cars, I hear rumors of a new Supra though and we all know about the massive success of the 350z.

90Tegra
01-26-2005, 08:48 PM
if there is a new supra i just hope it looks like the ones in 1994 and performs like one of them too.

CalgarySupra
01-26-2005, 09:32 PM
i think because at the time people didnt know if it was a good purchase. but think of it. in calgary in 1995 someone i know texst drove one and it cost $45.000 but if he would of purchased it, he could of drove it for for 10 years and he would of sold it for for a little less.

Lo)2enz0
01-27-2005, 01:11 AM
all of the japanese companies are starting to move away from forced injected cars as well, nissan was supposed to produce an s16 and they had all of the layouts done for it but than emmission laws got even harsher so they didn't produce it because it was going to have the sr20det in it and this didn't pass the tests.

they are still looking at producing an s16 with an NA engine and I believe that will be the same turn out for the new supra if produced.

Laurier

finboy
01-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
all of the japanese companies are starting to move away from forced injected cars as well, nissan was supposed to produce an s16 and they had all of the layouts done for it but than emmission laws got even harsher so they didn't produce it because it was going to have the sr20det in it and this didn't pass the tests.

they are still looking at producing an s16 with an NA engine and I believe that will be the same turn out for the new supra if produced.

Laurier

the golden years are over :cry:

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
if there is a new supra i just hope it looks like the ones in 1994 and performs like one of them too.

I have seen the prototype pics of the new supra and it looks nothing like the last gens. As of proformance they will probably screw that up to.

pressure_ratio
01-27-2005, 03:19 AM
The rumors are that it will probably have a v8 based on the one from the lexus 4.3L.
Turbo...don't we all wish!

heavyD
01-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by pressure_ratio
The rumors are that it will probably have a v8 based on the one from the lexus 4.3L.
Turbo...don't we all wish!

What the hell's wrong with a V8?:rolleyes:

oddjob
01-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

:werd: v8 is better than v6. slap on a turbs and it'll haul. :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by zoorocz

I have seen the prototype pics of the new supra and it looks nothing like the last gens. As of proformance they will probably screw that up to.

I dunno about you, but it keeps a lot of what made the MKIV a beautiful car...look at it's lines as those compared to a MKIV...and tell me you see dont similarities??...come on buddy...

And as far as a V8 in that thing goes...there are lots of MKIV's already swapped in with the Lexus V8's in the U.S. last time I heard I think there was like 10 or so...instand TQ...and the ability to maintain said TQ all thru the rev band...

240ssx
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I dont mind the prototype. its still got great flowing lines. I like the side and rear profile of it. still unsure about the front but only time will tell how people react to it.

BumpinTalon
01-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by finboy

the golden years are over :cry:

they are starting again, don't worry
except this time, domestics are leading the charge ;)

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 02:09 PM
ya why not go the easy way and slap in a V8.
The 2jz will be mised :(

Godfuader
01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

I dunno about you, but it keeps a lot of what made the MKIV a beautiful car...look at it's lines as those compared to a MKIV...and tell me you see dont similarities??...come on buddy...

:werd: :thumbsup:

rockym20
01-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
i think because at the time people didnt know if it was a good purchase. but think of it. in calgary in 1995 someone i know texst drove one and it cost $45.000 but if he would of purchased it, he could of drove it for for 10 years and he would of sold it for for a little less.

Are you on drugs? No one in their right mind would pay that much for one of those cars (stock) now.

finboy
01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by oddjob

:werd: v8 is better than v6. slap on a turbs and it'll haul. :thumbsup:

yea, they just SLAP right on there.

the reason the supra was such an amazing car was the 2jz, the fact that you could make over 700 rwhp w/o even pulling off the valve coverr.

the new design is nice, but still needs some work, i actually don't mind the retro design of the headlights.

a v8 would be an interesting choice, but i still don't think it will be as nice as the 2jz, because it isn't as engineered for boost. the 4.3 is still a nice motor, and i'm sure it would do great for a STOCK or mildly modded application, but putting out big numbers will really require $$$ for fabricating parts, turbo kits, etc.

finboy
01-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by rockym20

Are you on drugs? No one in their right mind would pay that much for one of those cars (stock) now.

you would be suprised, going rate for a good supra is between 30-40 grand in calgary (from ads i've seen over the last couple years)

right now on canada trader there are 2 for sale, one in burnaby for 35,000, and then some crackhead in vernon is asking 70,000 for a 1995 with 12,000km's

both are auto.

i personally can't wait until 2008 when they become legal to bring over from japan and the prices will be MUCH lower :thumbsup:

pressure_ratio
01-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I don't know you tell me?:confused:
Where in my post did I say there was anything wrong with a v8,it would be really cool if it got the twin turbo treatment,but I doubt it.

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 02:58 PM
heres some more pics i read it ill probably have a v8 or a v10

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 03:00 PM

brandon
01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
the second picture is nasty looking! the first one looks like a long shot away from what it will really look like.

zoorocz
01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
i dont know what this is but i look kind of like an enzo

90Tegra
01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
i gotta wait 3 years so i can import one from japan. i want the 1993 badly

CelicaST-162
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

And as far as a V8 in that thing goes...there are lots of MKIV's already swapped in with the Lexus V8's in the U.S. last time I heard I think there was like 10 or so...instand TQ...and the ability to maintain said TQ all thru the rev band...

There's a fellow on SF that swapped out his 7M in favour of the 1UZ-FE...man that thing hauls and sounds like the meanest V8 youve ever heard!

streetarab
01-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by zoorocz
i dont know what this is but i look kind of like an enzo
HOLY SHIT!!!!! KILL IT, QUICK!!!!

1-Bar
01-27-2005, 11:02 PM
some1 correct me if I'm wrong. But the "super cars", like the big 3 (Supra, RX7, 300ZX) in the 90's couldn't keep up with the high demands of SUV's in North America. Sales dropped considerably in this market and thus they pulled production.

Also, didn't they continue producing some Supra's, RX7's in Japan after they discontinued them in North America?

Team_Mclaren
01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
some1 correct me if I'm wrong. But the "super cars", like the big 3 (Supra, RX7, 300ZX) in the 90's couldn't keep up with the high demands of SUV's in North America. Sales dropped considerably in this market and thus they pulled production.

Also, didn't they continue producing some Supra's, RX7's in Japan after they discontinued them in North America?

yes, i think the RX7 went as far as 2001, no idea about the supra tho...

CalgarySupra
01-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by rockym20

again, i seen many that sold even on ebay , stock , for 30 grand us in the last few years. stock. and about 100,000 miles. people dont care about the miles on it they just want the car.

CalgarySupra
01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

yes, i think the RX7 went as far as 2001, no idea about the supra tho...

yes the supra in japan was made all the way till 2002. not many cars are made for 10 years the same.

1-Bar
01-28-2005, 02:31 PM

again, i seen many that sold even on ebay , stock , for 30 grand us in the last few years. stock. and about 100,000 miles. people dont care about the miles on it they just want the car.

Yes...I'm sure if you had a choice between a Toyota Supra MKIV or a RSX Type S, I think the Supra would win....

I know I'd buy it.....shiet, come to think of it, shouldn't have bought the lude...:banghead:

Mad$ella
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

they are starting again, don't worry
except this time, domestics are leading the charge ;)

Go homeland cars, espically the Mustang which has been HUGE with the new 2005 body style, soooo sexy i want one!:drool:

SUPRAPHAT
01-28-2005, 06:03 PM

yes the supra in japan was made all the way till 2002. not many cars are made for 10 years the same.

I don't know what your smokin but they stopped production of the supra in 1998!

I have never heard of any newer supras!

Jason

90Tegra
01-28-2005, 06:05 PM
no they stopped shipping supras to the north america at 1998
but i beleive japan still made IN JAPAN till 2003

CryoCarnage
01-28-2005, 08:06 PM
yeah they did till 03. So Tegra, youre importing one too huh? I already have a deposit waiting for import concern and they told me that they would hook me up with one. They said they'd send it in advance so it would reach canadian borders on te exact date :P. I'm gonna be the first one in Ontario to have one!

CalgarySupra
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Jason

jason its me what are u talking about. id ont do drugs. they are trashy. read it again , in japan they were made till 2002. look some up .

CalgarySupra
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Jason

jason its me what are u talking about. id ont do drugs. they are trashy. read it again , in japan they were made till 2002. look some up .

SUPRAPHAT
01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, I guess you learn something new everyday.

Jason

oddjob
01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by finboy

yea, they just SLAP right on there.

the reason the supra was such an amazing car was the 2jz, the fact that you could make over 700 rwhp w/o even pulling off the valve coverr.

the new design is nice, but still needs some work, i actually don't mind the retro design of the headlights.

a v8 would be an interesting choice, but i still don't think it will be as nice as the 2jz, because it isn't as engineered for boost. the 4.3 is still a nice motor, and i'm sure it would do great for a STOCK or mildly modded application, but putting out big numbers will really require $$$ for fabricating parts, turbo kits, etc.

ok finboy i obviously did not mean stick it on with a bolt or two. you would obviously need more custom work (mani, dp, fuel, etc).