PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Pontiac GTO. Yea! or Nay!

Hollywood
01-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Not sure what I think of it myself. Pontiac kinda sucks in the past too. But 400hp/tq is cool though, too bad it was'nt a 4 door. Steering wheel looks kinda goofy too but otherwise interior looks not too bad. I realize the car has been posted before but I'm just seeing what people think poll wise.

http://www.fastdrive.org/img/2005-Pontiac-GTO-FA1.jpg

http://www.fastdrive.org/img/2005-Pontiac-GTO-2.jpg

http://www.modernracer.com/intthumbnails/pontiacgtointthum2.jpg

Superesc
01-26-2005, 09:02 PM
emm... why not wait for the new Mustang cobra? This car just look like a regular pontiac...

finboy
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
emm... why not wait for the new Mustang cobra? This car just look like a regular pontiac...

:werd:

the new gto's are really bland

1badPT
01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
^agreed. I don't know if they ever produced the Judge version or not but if they were to, I'd get that!
http://i.tnpv.us/2004/WKA200408/WKA2004082742146_pv.jpg
The styling of the regular GTO is just too plain IMO.

Not like we'll be getting the GTO in Canada anytime soon anyways...

Ekliptix
01-26-2005, 09:14 PM
it looks boring.

Toms-SC
01-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I'd tap that

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Weapon_R
01-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Hmm, looks too much like a grand am to me :dunno:

But the power is there, reliability is probably really good too with GM

BumpinTalon
01-26-2005, 11:46 PM
the new gigantic motor is a nice touch but they really really really need to liven it up... like big 19" chrome wheels with 295 wide tires at least, instead of those really fuckin boring generic parts bin five spokes.

A_3
01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
It looks like the basic design has alot of potential and that judge version is amazing. Kind of reminds me of a Mazda 6, I'm thinking it will sell pretty well.

NickGT
01-27-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't love it. But I like it. A few changes here and there to add some muscle to that styling would be good. God that's some nice torque figures tho :burnout:

Mosquito_R
01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
This car is worthy - if they labelled it as a Holden Monaro and used the HSV front end instead of the cheesy Pontiac grille. GM, you suck! :thumbsdow :( Thanks for screwing up whatever chance this car deserved in North America!

Altezza
01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm not fond of it....

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Well you could always do a Monero conversion. Looks like only the front bumper and a few fog lights.

http://autoscoop.topcities.com/autoforum/viewtopic.php?t=6597

http://www.excelerate.com.au/downloads/monaro/monaro2.jpg

JordanLotoski
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
looks like a cross between a grand prix, and a cavalier

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Oh here is some more info the 04's had 350hp/365tq. The dyno produced this;

w/STOCK GTO EXHAUST SYSTEM:
282.9 hp / 299.1 lb-ft torque.

w/SPINTECH OFF-ROAD X-PIPE AND FULL-LENGTH DUAL EXHAUST:
311.4 hp / 333.0 lb-ft torque.

They tested a bunch on the dyno and this one exhaust out of the test did best. Not too shabby for just for doing the exhaust. 28.5 hp and 33.9 lb-ft of torque gains to the wheels!!!:eek:

VetteRacin
01-27-2005, 08:17 AM
The GTO is based on the Asturalian platform Holden Monaro, powerwise it appears to be sweet, but personally I think Pontiac should have started a new platform for this car rather then using an esisting one, the GTO is too round, I don't think it looks all that great

heavyD
01-27-2005, 08:42 AM
I like it. The interior is probably the nicest GM has put out in the last 20 years. Some say it looks plain but I like the clean lines and lack of "boy racer" add-ons that Pontiacs are known for. I only whish the front end looked a little less Grand Prix.

GM's reliability is actually pretty good now. Better than industry average and higher than all Japanese brands with the exception of Toyota & Honda. It's got a bulletproof Corvette engine for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!! Chevy's small block V8 may be 40 years old but I read a tech article on the corvette and they really have tweaked the engine for higher RPM breathing that used to be lacking on pushrod engines. How can you argue with the most tried and true powertrain in the world?

The problem with Mustangs is that 60% of buyers are women and there will be tons on the road. The GTO is a low volume car so at least you don't have to worry about pulling up to every intersection and seeing "daddy's little girl" in the same Mustang you have putting on her makeup. :barf:

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
I like it. The interior is probably the nicest GM has put out in the last 20 years. Some say it looks plain but I like the clean lines and lack of "boy racer" add-ons that Pontiacs are known for. I only whish the front end looked a little less Grand Prix.

GM's reliability is actually pretty good now. Better than industry average and higher than all Japanese brands with the exception of Toyota & Honda. It's got a bulletproof Corvette engine for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!! Chevy's small block V8 may be 40 years old but I read a tech article on the corvette and they really have tweaked the engine for higher RPM breathing that used to be lacking on pushrod engines. How can you argue with the most tried and true powertrain in the world?

The problem with Mustangs is that 60% of buyers are women and there will be tons on the road. The GTO is a low volume car so at least you don't have to worry about pulling up to every intersection and seeing "daddy's little girl" in the same Mustang you have putting on her makeup. :barf:

Ya my major quam too is the grandprix esque front end. and the steering wheel other than that its nice car. I also agree they did well with the interior. They kept it clean but at the same time a little flashy. And the LS2 is a pimpin engine! do exhaust and cams and vroom vroom!

http://www.ls1tech.com/GTO/dynoLS2gtoStock.gif

Pontiac sold body kit;
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0405pon_gtoautocross_02_z.jpg

ZorroAMG
01-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't understand what the designers were thinking, making the car so boring and grandprix-esque....it's not like that car was ever hot, why copy the style?:dunno:

Great numbers, but power and torque certainly aren't enough to get me to drive such a boring Grandpa car.

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I don't understand what the designers were thinking, making the car so boring and grandprix-esque....it's not like that car was ever hot, why copy the style?:dunno:

Agreed.

here is some more info;

"After driving both, my honest opinion is that both the manual and the automatic seem to have the exact same seat of the pants acceleration. The engineers said that the automatic runs 0-60 in 4.6 seconds while the 6 speed runs 0-60 in 4.7 seconds while the ¼ mile for automatic is 13.0 seconds and the ¼ mile for the 6 speed is 13.1 seconds"

Newk
01-27-2005, 09:57 AM
That body kit is nice. definate must have upgrade.

Havent got to drive one yet, but i sat in one in the showroom.
I have to say it has the most comfortable seats i have ever sat in.

Personally I like the low key styling, would be a perfect car for the wife if I didn't need four doors.

oddjob
01-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Its a great machine. That thing can haul some mad ass straight from the factory.

heavyD
01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Newk
That body kit is nice. definate must have upgrade.

Havent got to drive one yet, but i sat in one in the showroom.
I have to say it has the most comfortable seats i have ever sat in.

Personally I like the low key styling, would be a perfect car for the wife if I didn't need four doors.

Funny you should say that about the seats. Car & Driver also said that they were among the best seats put in any GM car including the Corvette.

I would take one of these over the Lexus if that's what your thinking Hollywood. I like the looks, it's not flashy but it isn't overboard like say an RX8 (plus it has more torque with three cylinders than the RX8 period) which has too much things going on with its exterior and it's not like many people will be able to see the front end as 98% of cars on the road will be viewing from the rear anyway.:D

googe
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
so much potential being ls2 based, the front end is such a tragedy :cry:

every layman will think some dickhead in a grand prix just blew by them in the fast lane :rofl:

1badPT
01-27-2005, 11:33 AM
^^so true :rofl:
The body kit you posted really cleans the look up IMO. That makes it look like the car that its numbers suggest it is.

Altezza
01-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Well you could always do a Monero conversion. Looks like only the front bumper and a few fog lights.

http://autoscoop.topcities.com/autoforum/viewtopic.php?t=6597

http://www.excelerate.com.au/downloads/monaro/monaro2.jpg

Yeah, that looks way better. But a pig with lipstick is still a pig.

EK 2.0
01-27-2005, 12:55 PM
off-topic I know...

But Hollywood...what happened to the JDM "GTO"??...

for all you non-JDMer's out there....the 3000GT...

but I do like the new GTO...so what if it looks like a GP...thats how ALL GM's are...save's them HUGE bucks in building...but RWD and TQ cannot be beat my friend...look what Rhys Millen is doing and has done with his....

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
off-topic I know...

But Hollywood...what happened to the JDM "GTO"??...

for all you non-JDMer's out there....the 3000GT...

but I do like the new GTO...so what if it looks like a GP...thats how ALL GM's are...save's them HUGE bucks in building...but RWD and TQ cannot be beat my friend...look what Rhys Millen is doing and has done with his....

I had it looked at, and the body was not prestine condition enough for me. So it became a no-sale.

But as you guys know I do have the V8 hunger going on right now ie the lexus.

Maybe it's just me but it's hard to go wrong with 6L at your disposal in a compact/import design , even if it is a pontiac :dunno: :thumbsup:

Too bad the 04's have the 5.7 and less hp as they are more affordable being a year old already.

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 01:45 PM
FUCK AROUND CANT BE IMPORTED AS OF DEC 16/04!!!!

First the EVO and now this......damn canadian crash standards!!

Xtrema
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
The couldn't really sell the 04 and there're tons of deals in U.S.

A guy belong to another forum I frequent lease one 0 down and less than $100/month.

ninjak84
01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
^agreed. I don't know if they ever produced the Judge version or not but if they were to, I'd get that!
http://i.tnpv.us/2004/WKA200408/WKA2004082742146_pv.jpg
The styling of the regular GTO is just too plain IMO.

Not like we'll be getting the GTO in Canada anytime soon anyways...

I don't like them that much, but this one is really nice

ACX
01-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Limited numbers being brought into the US (max of 18k IIRC), with sales not being all that good and they should invest in a whole new body for it removed from the monaro.. :rofl: Sounds like some dicey business to me..

Great car, I saw a few when I was working down south last summer.. LS2 car will be a beast.

In the latest Motortrend it (13.3) went up against the CTS-v (13.1) and the SRT-8 300C(13.2).

Bland styling, but great car IMHO.

TypeS
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
what are you guys talking about? i gaurantee when you "meh" people see one of these in person, on the road rolling by you...it will look hotter, it always does.

I for one have faith in this design, I love it...its clean, its smooth, and its attractive. alot nicer than the "ULTRA-RADICAL-SUPER-TRANSFORM" look of some cars today that think they have to be as extreme as possible to look good:thumbsdow

ACX
01-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
what are you guys talking about? i gaurantee when you "meh" people see one of these in person, on the road rolling by you...it will look hotter, it always does.

I for one have faith in this design, I love it...its clean, its smooth, and its attractive. alot nicer than the "ULTRA-RADICAL-SUPER-TRANSFORM" look of some cars today that think they have to be as extreme as possible to look good:thumbsdow

I saw a few at cali speedway and indeed they are nicer than pics indicate.

The interior is superb.

3g4me
01-27-2005, 05:43 PM
That car looks like ASS IMO.

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ACX
Great car, I saw a few when I was working down south last summer.. LS2 car will be a beast.

For sure 90mm TB STOCK! Hahaha, thats sweet. Add some cams and exhaust and you will laugh at most of the cars on the road.

m10-power
01-27-2005, 08:25 PM
looks :zzz: , I'd mistake it for a cavalier. Plus no luck in Canada.

BigMass
01-27-2005, 09:59 PM
You can get an 04 model in the US for around $22,000US or less after rebates and negotiating (They havent been a hot seller). That's around $27,000 Canadian. That price for that kind of perfomance it's a good buy

Canaduh
01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
They aren't bad looking cars, looks like there is room for possibilities.... and last but not least, I'd have this over some sh*tbox Honda anyday:thumbsup: