PDA

View Full Version : calgary coachworks? quality?

dymz999
01-26-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm new here so please don't flame. My friend told me this is a good place to come to get info from other calgary people that are into the import scene. I am planning on getting a paint job within the next 3 weeks and i was reccomended to goto calgary coachworks which is located near mcknight and deerfoot. I was told the quality is fairly good and pricing is decent?

I am looking at getting them to do everything. All the prep and proper paint. I have only one rust hole that needs to be fixed, and i think i would prefer it to be replaced with actual metal. It happened in the lower portion of one of the rear quarter panels. Besides that i want to keep the color the factory color and nothing else is rather complicated.

Right now i have a urathene body kit on the car that is just flat black i'm not sure if it will complicate matters. It is all mounted already, well not completely, it is just screwd in right now, i didn't want to put any tape on it until i knew exactly what was going to happen. The rust hole though would be beneath one of the body kit pieces and i would prefer to get it fixed properly before its covered to prevent the rust from going any further.

I've already searched the beyond archives and found some information on some paint shops but this place if anybody knows the quality of the work would be best for me since it is extremely close to my house and I wouldn't have to towe the car there to get it done.

Right now I have $3,250 in cash on me that i'm willing to spend on the panit job. So the question, is calgary coachworks a good place as far as quality and the time it takes and what other places would you guys reccommend that can do good paint jobs and body work for that price tag. The $3,250 is before GST and i can pay it in CASH if need be.

7thgenvic
01-26-2005, 11:19 PM
as this has been talked about many of time!
One word!
NATIONAL!!! <-- you want it done right, spend the money there and get it done right!

dymz999
01-26-2005, 11:20 PM
national what? what kind of price range do they have for full jobs? As in i dont need any of the jams done or anything, just full exterior. body work should be pretty minimal with exceptin of the rust hole.

This is also the first paint job i'm getting done so i really dont want get jacked or screwd out of money. I'm okay with spending around the $3,250 to $3,500 level but anything past that would be pushing it :(

'93 SR-V
01-26-2005, 11:31 PM
He means national collision. They have a good rep, but you'll pay for it. I don't have experience with Calgary Coachworks, but my friend who works at a dealership warned me about them (the south location anyway). He warned more about mechanical repairs though. I would say your best bet would to get a few quotes from different shops, and make sure you find out what prep work it will include, and what the paint process will include. Also, if you search beyond, I'm sure you can find some reviews.

SteveMo600
01-26-2005, 11:45 PM
:banghead: I know you're new but just do a search for Calgary Coachworks. This topic has been talked about way too many times. You'll find all the info you need when you search.

Goodluck with your car.

7thgenvic
01-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
:banghead: I know you're new but just do a search for Calgary Coachworks. This topic has been talked about way too many times. You'll find all the info you need when you search.

Goodluck with your car.

hahahah i wanted to say that but didn't want to be an ass about it!

this should be the last thing anyone thinks about when getting paint done!

IN THE LONG RUN< YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Weapon_R
01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

NATIONAL!!! &lt;-- you want it done right, spend the money there and get it done right!

Are you joking? National over Contemporary? HAHAHA

Anyways, Coachworks is a fantastic body shop. Many dealerships and other automotive companies use them as they always do a great job!

SteveMo600
01-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

hahahah i wanted to say that but didn't want to be an ass about it!

this should be the last thing anyone thinks about when getting paint done!

IN THE LONG RUN&lt; YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

HAHA...I wasn't being an ass I'm just really used to seeing threads on this topic every single day. They keep old threads so you can search for a reason? Right?

7thgenvic
01-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600

HAHA...I wasn't being an ass I'm just really used to seeing threads on this topic every single day. They keep old threads so you can search for a reason? Right?

i know i know! im kidding! it happens every freeking day! and i dunno, but not once have i seen a complaint on national collision on this forum????

dymz999
01-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Well as I said I did do a search and it seems that most of the places that were doing exception work all charge 5k plus. I'm also not dumb enough to take the car to maaco, i'm sure that for even $3,000 they couldn't do a job that i would even call decent. I'm probably gonna get a quote from coachworks, national and maybe contemporary. I'm at the point now where i'm willing to do a sponsorship deal if i must.

The rust hole i really eating me up though. I keep telling myelf just to cut it out, sand it down to the bare metal and put a tonne of rust protector on it. the hole itself is covered by the body pieces hence why i couldn't really care if it looks like ass or not. the car is not winter driven and does not usually go out in the rain (hard to drive when traction is next to zero).

one worry i have is if some company is going to charge me more for them to take the bumper off and paint it off the car. I really dont' want to remove the intercooler if i dont have to. I do plan on removing the signal lights, side markers, and my kouki 180sx tail lights to make the paint job easier for the shop.

I appreciate the help though as when it comes to paint i'm completely lost.

dymz999
01-27-2005, 01:10 AM
One last thing, a few parts guys i know reccomended i goto McKay autobody and told me they do a lot of the hot rods in calgary and have a turn around of less than a month for their cars. Has anybody heard of them before and know of their work?

And yes i do know that you get what you pay for. Its like paying the difference for a fiberglass bodykit or a urathane one. one is obviously better and more expensive but is way better. Which is why i want to spend a good $3,000 on the paint job. I know for $1500 i could probably goto maaco and get job that will look decent for 6 months before the paint starts peeling or chipping and for that matter the rust they removed coming back.

i'm looking to get decent quality for a decent price, is that asking too much lol....