PDA

View Full Version : turbo supra

jesse
01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
if i was to get a supra that was a non turbo would that engine be the same as a turbo engine except the turbo. would the internals be the same? could i find a turbo for that car and just put it on or would i have to do a ton of shit. would it be cheaper to just buy a used turbo engine and have someone put it in. if there is a place in calgary that sells used toyota engines could some one let me know.

1-Bar
01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
internals are not the same. You have to swap out the higher compression pistons in the N/A engine with lower compression pistons if you wanna up the boost. Also, you need to tap oil return line, tap for piston oil squirters...ummm new ECU....that's all I can think of now.

I will assume you are talking about the 7m-ge vs. 7m-gte....

Jason Lange
01-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Also injectors are different for the turbo ecu. You can stick with the na compression so long as you don't go crazy with boost and run the intercooler.

pressure_ratio
01-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Intake manifold is different from a 7mge &gte also.Just go buy a used 7mgte they're cheap.I'm working on this swap with my cousin right now,I think we might get a little crazy and go 1jz though. :D

iblizzard
01-28-2005, 03:25 AM
http://jdmsource.ca/toyota/index.html

jesse
01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
ijz what engine is that out of. is it a strait swap with then 89 year supra or is there lots of conversions.

1-Bar
01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jesse
ijz what engine is that out of. is it a strait swap with then 89 year supra or is there lots of conversions.

1JZ-GTE is out of Toyota Soarer and 1990 supras I believe....

jesse
01-28-2005, 02:31 PM
are they quicker then the 89 engine. i thought that the 89 supra was the fastest year of that body style. what should i go with? the m7 turbo or the ijz turbo?

pressure_ratio
01-28-2005, 03:22 PM
It depends how mechanically inclined you are.The 1jz is not a bolt in,there's a bunch of work that needs to be made to the firewall to clear the rear turbo,or use a big single.We're just thinking that in the long run a jz would be better.The 7m is an awesome motor but shows it's limits once you get into the 500 hp range.A friend of mine had a mkIII making 540 rwhp with a 7m,but that was the limit,head gasket failure was a problem,mind you he was running 30 psi of boost

jesse
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
well i really doubt i will be hitting 500 whp any time soon so i guess my best bet would be to go with the m7 engine.

in ur opinion what would be the best performance upgrade to do to push out some extra hp. they come stock with 232 but to get it to hit about 300 or so what would be the easiest way to get there? im not tring to take a easy way out or anything. i here that new heads and downpipe would be a good choice expecially on the turbo'd engine but i really doubt that it would get me close to 300. what else is good. i was thinking maybe a full exhaust and a better fuel pump and a gas management system? what dio u think. it will be a couple grand but probly worth it. that would probly get me in the 320 hp range. give or take? what do u think

pressure_ratio
01-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I know the stock ct26 turbo is good for about 12psi.It doesn;t take much to get one to 300 or so hp.you'll deffinetly want a full exhaust and down pipe.Porting the adapter off the exhaust housing is worth some gains as well as better boost control.Basic bolt on stuff really is all thats needed.It's been a few years so I can't recall exactly but Reg has a good site with all kinds of info.
www.suprasonic.org

jesse
01-28-2005, 07:26 PM
on the non turbo supra is the drive train the same as the turbo. are the brakes the same and all the other parts. is the non turbo and the turbo the same except for the engine or if i bought a non turbo and put a turbo in it would i have to go out and but all new brakes and axels and suspension and what not?

CelicaST-162
01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
on the non turbo supra is the drive train the same as the turbo. are the brakes the same and all the other parts. is the non turbo and the turbo the same except for the engine or if i bought a non turbo and put a turbo in it would i have to go out and but all new brakes and axels and suspension and what not?

N/A Supra, and Supra Turbo have different drivetrain, N/A's have the W58 Transmission or the A340E (Automatic). They have a taller rear end, and some with or without LSD. Turbo's, have the beefier R154 transmission and the A340E automatic transmission. Turbo's pre 89, have the 3.91 rear end LSD, and 89-92 have the 3.73 rear end LSD.

Turbo and non Turbo suspension is the same, brakes is all the same. 89+ plus however has a different engine crossmember.

aussie bloke
01-28-2005, 08:56 PM
i have had some dealing with the 1jz me and my cus put one in a holden vs commodore (australian sedan ) it was the turbo engine and in stanard trim the 1jz made 245hp at the rears with tuning (auto) and ith the w58 (manual box ) made 266hp t the treads and simply putting in 550cc injectors and ecu upgrade a big single turbo graded at 600hp running 29psi made 401hp at the wheels in 3rd gear not bad for stock internals,ams and a stock diff

garagefujimoto
01-28-2005, 09:10 PM
1jz is factory in 89 supra in japan, it fis fine, the 2JZ from the new supra is the one that creates clearance problems

just buy the 7m turbo it's a lot of work o retrofit to the na engine

or get the 1JZ it is indestructible

jesse
01-28-2005, 09:12 PM
ya but a jdm source when u buy the m7 turbo u get the tranny with it. ok let me put it this way. would it be a bad idea to buy a non turbo supra then go and buy the m7 turbo with tranny and ecu and harnesses. or should i just focus on buying a already trubo'd supra. it would probly save me money if i bought a non turbo and droped the engine and tranny but is it a good idea or will i screw something up?

aussie bloke
01-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by garagefujimoto
1jz is factory in 89 supra in japan, it fis fine, the 2JZ from the new supra is the one that creates clearance problems

just buy the 7m turbo it's a lot of work o retrofit to the na engine

or get the 1JZ it is indestructible

dam right ther indestructible and thats from one with experance the only things we blew up in that car was gearboxs and more importantly tiers

Skylinelover
01-28-2005, 09:27 PM
ya but a jdm source when u buy the m7 turbo u get the tranny with it. ok let me put it this way. would it be a bad idea to buy a non turbo supra then go and buy the m7 turbo with tranny and ecu and harnesses. or should i just focus on buying a already trubo'd supra. it would probly save me money if i bought a non turbo and droped the engine and tranny but is it a good idea or will i screw something up?
If you want. You might be able to get some money for the engine and tranny if you sell it. But It depends how much psi do you want to run? If you want low just slap on a small turbo.

jesse
01-28-2005, 10:23 PM
so ur telling me its not a bad idea. i just want the ok to go with it. cuz i no it will save me money

jesse
01-28-2005, 11:29 PM
im confused. should i get the m7 or the 1jz. and will iether screw up something if i drop it into a na supra

CelicaST-162
01-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok first of all it's, 7M(7M-GTE)...It requires a lot of work to do an NA/---->T swap, of course you need the engine, ECU, USDM GTE wiring harness, ignitor, oil cooler, intercooler, intercooler plumbing.
This is only the tip of the iceberg for the swap, if you are the kind of person that is mechanically inclined and ready to take on challenges and dish out some money then this swap is for you. If not, go right to the source and buy a Supra Turbo.

jesse
01-29-2005, 04:39 PM
im going to go talk to the guys at jdm source. they probley know what i should do. it will be easyier for me because i can ask all the questions i need to. thanks for the help

pressure_ratio
01-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Pay attention to what Celicast-162 it telling you.The guys at jdm source sell engines ,they're not swap experts.

jesse
01-29-2005, 10:37 PM
im not a car genius or anything. i dont no how to swap i dont no enough to really do anything with the swap. i just want to no how much it will cost.and will it be worth it. i dont no how much of a differance there is from a na supra and a turbo'd on. need to no if it will fuck anything up. i can get the engine with everthing on it including the intercooler and ecu and harnesses and the tranny but is that all i need or is there more that i need

pressure_ratio
01-30-2005, 03:30 PM
If this would be your first swap than go 7m,as I mentioned the 1jz is far from a drop in,plug and play swap.The difference between na and turbo is strictly driveline,so everything will bolt right in.You're not going to screw anything up,but there is a long list of things needed to do the swap,if it's worth doing to you than by all means do it.

blizare
01-30-2005, 11:38 PM
jesse.

it's time consuming.

time=money.

if you have lots of it just buy a turboed car.

You obviousley don't have the knowledge undertake this project on your own so it's gonna cost a lot to get someone else to do it.

what is the cost deferance on an n/t v.s. turbo supra?

jesse
01-31-2005, 02:44 AM
depends. a good condition, low km, fully loaded turbo is gonna be 7000 min usally unless u get lucky and a non with the same options and what not is about 3000-4500 usally. and its not just about money and my dad is a mechanic and has the knowlegde we just dont have time. i just what the best possible car i can get

SUPRAPHAT
02-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Just buy a '89 turbo, don't waste your time with a non-turbo supra!

You don't sound skilled enough to do any swaps so just go just pay the little extra and get the turbo.

Jason

CaptainHenreh
02-03-2005, 04:24 PM
The 1JZ-GTE swap is alot of work. There's alot of wiring involved, and if you're just looking to say "Hey look, I've got a turbo!" you should probably look elsewhere.

But, if you like having 300HP with bolt-ons and a 7200 RPM redline, and you have both time and money to spare, then go for the 1J.

Honestly, factory turbo 7M's aren't all that expensive and have a fairly large aftermarket and reliability record (as long as you watch your head gasket).

I say, go with the 7M. It sounds like your goals don't really require a 1J to accomplish.

Euro_Trash
02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, go with something that will ammuse you longer and that you know you will be happy with, even if you have to work a little longer for it. Personally Trav I would go with the motor that will eventually push out the most power (at least if you are planning on owning this car for the next few years) In my case, I should have waited/saved a little more and bought a VR6 instead of a G60, so I know my car is only going to ammuse me for a little while, not as long as the VR6 could have. Now Im just hoping I wont get bored of it before I graduate, cuz I probably wont be buying a new car until then. So if it takes a little more work/money, but in the end will be more powerful, so with that option. From reading this thread, it seems like the 1JZ or whatever sounds like a good motor, but it also seems like a pain in the ass to put in. Guys how many man hours are we talking about swapping this motor in?

BumpinTalon
02-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by blizare
it's time consuming.
time=money.
if you have lots of it just buy a turboed car.

hmmmm by this logic... both of us should probably have bought turbo Talons to start with :rofl: considering you had time to get like 8000 posts on 2GNT :D and I've got 2000 between here and 2gnt. that reflects a lot of wasted time.

jesse - buy the turbo. stop arguing. let's look at another side of it:
the turbo cars were purchased by older people, with more money, who respected their cars more. as a result, these cars are better maintained and have not been bagged on. they were also, probably, summer cars which means they will probably be lower mileage. these cars were still expensive second-hand and have probably been owned by older, reasonable people their entire lifetimes.
the non-turbo were purchased by younger people wanting the appearance of a fast car, who did not have as much money and were not old enough to have much respect for their cars. they have probably not been as well maintained. they also might have been year-round cars which means more problems with rust, faded paint, and higher mileage. these cars were cheap second-hand and were probably purchased by teenagers, which means they most definitely have been bagged on very hard, not maintained very well, and have been modified very badly. there is a good reason an average non-turbo is less then half the cost of a average turbo.
just get the turbo

garagefujimoto
02-05-2005, 03:43 PM
jdm source refuses to get in or sell any toyota motors, they are content to sit on 300 useless D15 engines and ignore anybody who has a special request

to get the whole thing the way is was meant to be search for a factory turbo