PDA

View Full Version : Suicide at its best

BebeAphrodite
01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Yet another example of how selfish suicide is. If you don't want to read the article here it is summed up: Man wanted to commit suicide, parked his SUV on train tracks, changed his mind last minute, crash occured, and 11 people are dead with 180 injured. He didn't consider the welfare of others when he left his SUV on the tracks.

Eleven die in crash
Suicidal man's SUV derails train

By AP

GLENDALE, CALIF. -- A commuter train smashed into an SUV left on a crossing by a suicidal man early yesterday, derailed and crashed into another train, authorities said. At least 11 people were killed and more than 180 injured. The SUV driver changed his mind about suicide and left the vehicle before it was hit, Police Chief Randy Adams said. The man will be charged with homicide, he said.

Cars from both Metrolink trains derailed and some landed on their sides, sending passengers tumbling down the aisles, authorities said.

"This whole incident was started by a deranged individual that was suicidal," Adams told a news conference at the scene of mangled rail cars in the suburb north of downtown Los Angeles.

"I think his intent at that time was to take his own life but he changed his mind prior to the train actually striking this vehicle," the chief said.

The man, identified as Juan Manuel Alvarez, 26, of Compton, stood by as the southbound Metrolink train struck his vehicle, derailed and hit the northbound train, Adams said.

Alvarez had also tried to slash his wrists, authorities said.

In was the worst rail accident in the U.S., since March 15, 1999, when an Amtrak train hit a truck and derailed near Bourbonnais, Ill., killing 11 people and injuring more than 100.

Firefighters picked through twisted wreckage and carried passengers from the trains to a triage centre set up in a parking lot nearby.

One commuter train was headed from Los Angeles' Union Station to downtown Burbank, and the other was bound to Union Station from Moorpark, Metrolink officials said. The accident happened just after 6 a.m. local time.

"I heard a noise. It got louder and louder," said passenger Diane Brady, 56, of Simi Valley. "And next thing I knew the train tilted, everyone was screaming and I held onto a pole for dear life. I held on for what seemed like a week and a half, it seemed. It was a complete nightmare."

Dazed passengers, some limping, gathered at tables in a store nearby, while the injured were sprawled on colour-coded mats in the parking lot: red for severe injuries, green for those less so.

One of the dead passengers was identified as Deputy James Tutino, a 23-year veteran of the Los Angeles County sheriff's department.

As the cars tumbled off the tracks, one Metrolink train struck a parked Union Pacific car, tipping it onto its side, said Kathryn Blackwell, a railway spokeswoman in Omaha, Neb.

George Touma, 19, of Burbank, said he was called by his mom, who was on one of the Metrolink trains.

"She told me she was bleeding in the head and her arm was really hurting," said Touma, who was searching for her.

"I'm really worried because she has vertigo and when I tried to call back she wouldn't answer."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2005/01/27/911559-sun.html

Kobe
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
yah i heard about this on the news last night.. thats crazy.... they had some footage of the train.. looked beat..

Weapon_R
01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
One of my biggest fears while driving is encountering something like this.

Have you ever driven on a single lane highway and wondered whether you'd ever encounter some crazy suicidal motherfucker seeks the easy way out by hitting you?

Pure cowards.

BebeAphrodite
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
^^-- reminds me of the guy who jumped off Deerfoot a lil while back. Can you imagine a person falling down and hitting you while ur driving at 100+ speeds?

DEREK57
01-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Thats retarded. I'm absolutely against suicide, but if you need to kill yourself, its not like its hard to find a painless way to do it, without hurting other people.

DayGlow
01-27-2005, 07:12 PM
ironically he will be facing the death penalty if he is convicted.

FiveFreshFish
01-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's the culprit.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20050128/mdf837389.jpg

Carfanman
01-27-2005, 11:06 PM
2 things to say.
First of all, its to bad he chickened out.
Second of all, I never would have guessed it would cause any damage either. I mean if I thought about it maybe, but I always assumed a train could just rip through a car without even feeling a bump. Guess I was wrong.

3G
01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
He's from Compton what do you expect?

blueripper6
01-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Have you ever driven on a single lane highway and wondered whether you'd ever encounter some crazy suicidal motherfucker seeks the easy way out by hitting you?

Pure cowards.

it happened to a close friend of mines mom when i was like 10 years old.. some girl dressed in black jumped into the road infront of her truck..she was only going 60 but it still managed to kill her..

it was a pretty rough time.

Skyline_Addict
01-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6

it happened to a close friend of mines mom when i was like 10 years old.. some girl dressed in black jumped into the road infront of her truck..she was only going 60 but it still managed to kill her..

it was a pretty rough time.

that is rough. i wonder how you'd deal with something like that, even if it is not totally your fault.
anyways, i think people who attempt to or commit suicide publicly want nothing more than pity or attention, which more often than not, comes at the cost of creating problems for others more than the person "attempting" suicide.

carstar
01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that is such a joke. I mean if you're going to do it, pick a way that won't endanger anyone else's life.
I think suicide is a selfish act anyway...but this guy is a real a-hole.
:bullshit:

AllGoNoShow
01-31-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman
2 things to say.
First of all, its to bad he chickened out.
Second of all, I never would have guessed it would cause any damage either. I mean if I thought about it maybe, but I always assumed a train could just rip through a car without even feeling a bump. Guess I was wrong.
Depends on the train and vehicle, I know the CRR trains and a little car, the car doesnt stand a chance but if its a bigger car and the train doesnt have as much protection on the front or is as heavy/strong, then the train will sustain alot more damage.

max_boost
01-31-2005, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Pure cowards. :werd: :werd: :werd:

It's unfair, innoncent people dying for what? Just because some moron decides to pull some bull shit stunt......not cool at all.:bullshit: :guns: :thumbsdow