PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Johnny Rockets Carwash?

91_Integz
12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
I went there yesterday to get my car washed cause I had a free wash from there. I was pulling into the bay and realized that it wasn't touchless :banghead:
If you have been there you know that you have to fit your tire onto this conveyer belt thing. The guy working there told me to keep going and then all i hear is this scraping underneath my car. The sides of the perimeter are raised and they were scraping the bottom!.....the guy was like "oh....is your car lowered?"....what a dumbass...:thumbsdow :banghead:

szw
12-17-2002, 03:14 PM
I'be been there once for a free wash. However I didn't think you had to drive your own car. When I was there, you just leave your car and they drive it through and wash/dry it for you.

There was a report on the news where they caught a bunch of people stealing from the cars as they went through.

One of my friends used to work there and he said everyone there jacks whatever they can from the cars.

91_Integz
12-17-2002, 03:58 PM
oh really? They just told me to drive in....its a good thing i was driving cause they probably would have scraped way more! That place is horrible:thumbsdow

mrmattyk
12-17-2002, 04:31 PM
I like the self-serve sprayer places. I find the foamy brushes work amazing.

GTS Jeff
12-17-2002, 04:49 PM
i usually go to a self wand wash place...but when im not lazy, the best is to do it in the driveway with a sponge..

Stratus_Power
12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
i only go to self sparying/washing place... partly because cleans better i think and way cheaper.. ( 2-3 bucks compare to like 5.99 + gst)

cocoabrova
12-17-2002, 05:16 PM
I'll never take my car(s) to those types of carwashes... I've had friends tell me that the workers go through your shit and take change/cd's/etc., not to mention those ppl driving my car through the wash:thumbsdow

ninspeed
12-17-2002, 05:59 PM
best bet, get a wash mit and your own soap (not dish soap) and go to a self serve late at night... i used to go to silver dollar on macleod trail (open 24hrs) cost me 2 dollars.. now i do it for free at work :D

girlRACER
12-17-2002, 07:16 PM
I took my car there for my first car wash and it had all these swirly marks on it. After that I never went again.

Plus the fact that my roof leaks when I take it to a drive-thru car wash so I have to use those self-serve car wash bays.

Any of you ever used the California Waterblade? It saves so much time drying the vehicle.

szw
12-17-2002, 07:23 PM
I have one of those blades. They worked good, but make sure the blade is clean before each swipe or a grain of sand/dirt will leave a nasty scratch.

I prefer a normal towel

rougecivicsi
12-17-2002, 08:09 PM
I don't let anyone in the drivers side, no matter if it is a car wash. Don't trust anyone................. O.K. some people, I guess.

91_Integz
12-17-2002, 10:00 PM
The spray wash is the only way to go. I have one of those california water blades....they work pretty good but they are damn expensive!

DSM Power
12-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Ha ha, that place is notorious for stealing anything from your car that isn't tied down! :rofl:

As for drying products, the Waterblade is nice but the Absorber is better! It's cheaper too, about $15 at Mopac. It's like a chamois but much much better. :clap:

CLiVE
12-17-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
best bet, get a wash mit and your own soap (not dish soap) and go to a self serve late at night... i used to go to silver dollar on macleod trail (open 24hrs) cost me 2 dollars.. now i do it for free at work :D

Exactly...:thumbsup: Get a Grover Mitt, your own soap, and go to the self serve. That's what I do...
I go to either the shell self serve, or big bucket at crowfoot.

Never use the "foamy brushes" they have, because there is a good chance the guy before you used it on his wheels, and you will be swirling dirt all over your car....

szw
12-17-2002, 11:48 PM
You have to wash the brush with the hose before you use it. I never do though.

Whats the point of washing your car by hand, at a car-wash place? I could understand the self-serve coin operated ones, but big-bucket? You pay for the time you use right?

CLiVE
12-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by szw

Whats the point of washing your car by hand, at a car-wash place? I could understand the self-serve coin operated ones, but big-bucket? You pay for the time you use right?

Still only costs me like $3 to wash the car by hand...even at a timed place like big bucket.
There's an art to it.....and it gets it a hell of a lot cleaner...

I would go to a coin-op..but there are none around here that I know of..

FiveFreshFish
12-17-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by szw

You only pay for the time the wand is spraying. Idle time doesn't cost at all, but don't do it when it's busy or you'll get lynched for bucket washing.

If your car's dirty, spraying it for an hour won't get it as clean as a good hand wash.

szw
12-17-2002, 11:57 PM
i'm pretty sure its a flat rate at big bucket, shell, dealies. Its posted right at the door Xcents/30seconds or whatever. Also when you pay, they don't know what stall you were using. Just the ticket that says when you came in.

I usually wash my car with a couple bucks in the self-timed placess, then drive it home and hand-wash. My hand wash takes me about 1/2-1 hour depending on how cold it is!

CLiVE
12-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by szw
i'm pretty sure its a flat rate at big bucket, shell, dealies. Its posted right at the door Xcents/30seconds or whatever. Also when you pay, they don't know what stall you were using. Just the ticket that says when you came in.

I usually wash my car with a couple bucks in the self-timed placess, then drive it home and hand-wash. My hand wash takes me about 1/2-1 hour depending on how cold it is!

It is a flat rate...like $0.40/min or something...

FiveFreshFish
12-18-2002, 12:10 AM
The coin-operated car washes are the only ones I use. For $2, I can soap down my car twice and fill both of these buckets. The lid keeps the water from splashing into my face but I still wear coveralls. Rinse costs $1 so total is only $3.

Small bucket for wheels and tires; big bucket for the rest of the car. Takes about an hour to do the whole car, including drying everything like the insides of the doors, fuel filler door, trunk, and engine.

ecstasy_civic
12-18-2002, 12:38 AM
thtas a good idea fivefreshfish:thumbsup:
unfourtunatley most places monitor that so it doesnt happen:thumbsdow

FiveFreshFish
12-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
thtas a good idea fivefreshfish:thumbsup:
unfourtunatley most places monitor that so it doesnt happen:thumbsdow

I go at strange hours (usually at 5AM before work) to the 24-hr places, like the Mohawk on 14 St NW. Sometimes I'll do it there at 3:30PM before most people leave work.

If there's nobody else lining up, they never have a problem with it since I'm using their soap and their water to fill my buckets. I even dry my car inside the wash bay.

szw
12-18-2002, 12:49 AM
I think I might just go wash my car now...need to do something to keep me awake...

ecstasy_civic
12-18-2002, 12:51 AM
hey sean come pick me up! im bored too.

szw
12-18-2002, 12:59 AM
sorry i got lazy...heh..the thought of going outside made me cold and woke me up..haha

ecstasy_civic
12-18-2002, 01:03 AM
lazy lazy lazy lol j/k man. theres a really good 24 hr carwash just off 32nd ave ne. kinda behind visions like 3 blocks from there. i can get a good wash and a wax for like 4 bucks and its so dead there i can always dry my car off in the bay:clap:

MistaBrent
12-18-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by szw
I think I might just go wash my car now...need to do something to keep me awake...

LOL. we should have a car wash meet !

fuckin rights ! :thumbsup:

rage2
12-18-2002, 09:57 AM
I always go to Big Bucket in Crowfoot. My usual routine :

High Pressure Soap - removes most dirt, spray sponge
Low Pressure Pre-Soak - removes fingerprints, and light dirt that stays on
Sponge/Wash Mitt - Only if the car is really filthy, ie Winter.
High Pressure Soap - spray downwards, not upwards, so dirt goes to ground
High Pressure Wax - wash off any excess soap, spray downwards.
Towel Dry - Soak up most water
Drive 200km/h - Down crowchild :D. This gets rid of any hidden water in weird places like door handles
Towel Dry - wipe up hidden water + waterspots

I also use the California Duster daily, black cars, dust shows up quite easily.

yakish
12-18-2002, 10:05 AM
next time just go to a self wash....., thats the best idea i can give you

girlRACER
12-18-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I always go to Big Bucket in Crowfoot. My usual routine :

High Pressure Soap - removes most dirt, spray sponge
Low Pressure Pre-Soak - removes fingerprints, and light dirt that stays on
Sponge/Wash Mitt - Only if the car is really filthy, ie Winter.
High Pressure Soap - spray downwards, not upwards, so dirt goes to ground
High Pressure Wax - wash off any excess soap, spray downwards.
Towel Dry - Soak up most water
Drive 200km/h - Down crowchild :D. This gets rid of any hidden water in weird places like door handles
Towel Dry - wipe up hidden water + waterspots

I also use the California Duster daily, black cars, dust shows up quite easily.

So you don't rinse it ?:dunno:
How much do you spend? I thought you have a high pressure car washer at home?!

Hakkola
12-18-2002, 05:00 PM
California Duster daily

Where did you get this, how much??? My car just collects dust and I hate it, makes me want to get a new paintjob.

bol
12-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Where did you get this, how much??? My car just collects dust and I hate it, makes me want to get a new paintjob.

canadian tire
like $20

they have a mini one for the dash and shit too which works good

Ben
12-18-2002, 06:28 PM
10th and 10th for me, costs me 2 bucks.

Paint Peeling Huge Pressure Soap and Pain Peeling Huge Pressure Rinse :D

I love the brush, but only when its really dirty. I have shitty paint too, so whether their are water spots or not makes no dif.

How do you folks with white cars find it as far as keeping your car clean?

My Black TDI Golf is brutal, but white seems easier.

szw
12-18-2002, 06:32 PM
white is easy to keep clean, when talking about normal dust/dirt. Of course it'll be more noticible when your sliding around in the mud/snow. But overall, my white car was pretty easy to keep clean.

Silver is good too.

Actually thats the only reason i got silver. hides dirt well hha

HRD2PLZ
12-18-2002, 08:30 PM
I usually wash my car at the self serve bay too. But I don't care about the paint so I use the foaming brush :D

Anytime we've ever taken our cars to Johnny Rockets its been a pretty slack job. Never have I been impressed with a wash job from them.

When I was in Edmonton this weekend I took the MDX through a car wash called Bubbles (kinda like Johnny Rockets) and they did an amazing job! The truck was so clean when I got it back :thumbsup:

Joanne
05-30-2004, 08:09 PM
A friend of mine just told me that Johnny Rockets offer a free carwash on your birthday. I wanted to check their website to find out if this was accurate, and I came upon this website. Sure glad I did, because having read these posts, I won't go there even if it IS free!

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread, you probably saved me a pile of grief, and some CD's too!

Dj_Stylz
05-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Whats the website?

eb0i
05-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by bol

canadian tire
like $20

they have a mini one for the dash and shit too which works good

those brushes rock! Especially for black or darker color cars.

Moonracer
05-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Joanne
A friend of mine just told me that Johnny Rockets offer a free carwash on your birthday. I wanted to check their website to find out if this was accurate, and I came upon this website. Sure glad I did, because having read these posts, I won't go there even if it IS free!

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread, you probably saved me a pile of grief, and some CD's too!

If you'll notice this thread is from a year and a half ago...lol They may be ok now :dunno:

sexualbanana
05-31-2004, 01:09 AM
I remember when I used my coupon for a free wash there back in high school. I left, and I had like powder soap ALL over my car still.

When I have my winter rims on my car and no kit, I go to Fortune car wash on MacLeod. They do a good job.

Skyline_Addict
06-03-2004, 06:28 AM
the esso at sandstone next to the dairy queen is the shiznit! :thumbsup:
2 bucks is all ya need!

ZorroAMG
06-03-2004, 10:03 AM
10th and 10th, a California Water Blade, an Absorber and 1.5 Hrs.....Pure therapeutic heaven.....

California Duster for in between washes

403Gemini
06-03-2004, 11:18 AM
i knew a girl that worked there.... and if they hired that skank they would easily hire any piece of trash. id NEVER go there

TomTom
06-06-2004, 01:59 PM
all i can say is big bucket car wash all the way, i dont normally goto it but is totally the best place iv ever been too

Talies R
06-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by rage2

haha glad to hear im not the only one who uses this drying technique after leaving big bucket.

bighead2267
06-07-2004, 12:29 PM
i never got a chance to go bucket wash. i usually go Center St(ex-mohawk station) during mid-night. u know we should make an wash event during late eveniing or mid night. i never realize that much ppl wash their car like that.

btw, how often u guys wash your car? (Average), not at messy winter time.........

ZorroAMG
06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
1-2 times a week in summer (california duster is tha shizzz :D)

3-4 times a week in winter

403Gemini
06-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by bighead2267
i never got a chance to go bucket wash. i usually go Center St(ex-mohawk station) during mid-night. u know we should make an wash event during late eveniing or mid night. i never realize that much ppl wash their car like that.

btw, how often u guys wash your car? (Average), not at messy winter time.........

winter? weekly

summer? i try weekly but i can get away with every 2 weeks

CelicaST-162
06-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I go to Monterey Self Serve Car Wash in the NE, plenty of time.

The most effective steps I use if Pathy is moderately dirrrty....

High Pressure Soap
Foam Brush
High Pressure Wax.
The average cost for this wash (moderate dirrtyness 3-4$$

The Steps if Pathy is COVERED top to bottom with Mud

High Pressure Soap-repeat if needed
Foam Brush-repeat if needed
Wax rinse...Repeat if needed

Average Cost for fully covered in mud...Priceless. Usually 7-10$$ Depending on the amount of mud and kind of mud:D

** Also mud stuck in wheel wells are a pain:guns:

eb0i
06-08-2004, 11:42 AM
^ yeah man i love the monterey self serve carwash!

Talies R
06-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

winter? weekly

summer? i try weekly but i can get away with every 2 weeks

In the summer you car may not look as dirty, but it probably is... I'm there usually 3 times a week... i don't go all out every time, but it's nice to give it a rinse.