PDA

View Full Version : twing turbo RX-7,twin turbo supra, twin turbo 300zx , nsx, corvette, viper

90Tegra
01-27-2005, 08:29 PM
twing turbo RX-7,twin turbo supra, twin turbo 300zx , nsx, corvette, viper

Which do you guys believe is the best all around car? Consider price, handling, 1/4 mile, looks, dependibility.

Overall, I feel the (1993-1998) Toyota Supra Twin-Turbo:drool: is the best vehicle it's smooth and reliable drivetrain, engine responds very well to simple mods, 4-seater practicality, great apex carving ability.

CSMRX7
01-27-2005, 08:36 PM
I like the FD, but I am a little Biased.

The Supra tends to feel a little heavy to me.

BumpinTalon
01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
the corvette.
the RX-7 is too unreliable
the supra is too heavy
the 300ZX is too unreliable and heavy
the NSX is underpowered and has a pretty weak motor compared to the others
the Viper is too expensive

the Corvette has the world's most proven motor (small block Chevy), an awesome transmission (tremec t-56 I believe), great aerodynamics, a perfect curb weight, and a great price tag.

CSMRX7
01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
the corvette.
the supra is too heavy

the Corvette has the world's most proven motor (small block Chevy), an awesome transmission (tremec t-56 I believe), great aerodynamics, a perfect curb weight, and a great price tag.

Z-06 but the regular C5 has poor road manners it is more then a handleful on bumpy surfaces. The RX7 isn't unreliable!!! You just have to keep replacing the engine :D

finboy
01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
depends on generations, trim levels, budget, etc.

if we are talking near stock with minor bolt-ons and unlimited budget for the car...

viper
supra
vette (only if its a zo6)
FD
NSX
300ZX

90Tegra
01-27-2005, 09:49 PM
chek out road and track 98 article

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo/articles/mk4/8_98rtsupra.html

heavyD
01-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Since you added dependability as well:

(1) NSX
(2) Supra TT

C4S
01-28-2005, 09:13 AM
What yr ??

If .. same model year .. then for sure NSX .. but .. it is like 3 times more money then other cars !

If you talk about stock car to stock car ... for any yr .. then still .. NSX is still the best ...

For value .. corvette is the best one .. $75K .. ( new one ) can out run the $150K NSX .. and $130K Porsche 911 :D

For those 3 asian cars you mention, I like the RX-7 most ! but .. it got tons of problem .... :( Supra is the fastest one and the most reliable one .but most pricy too ! ( still, some people ask ~$30K for one ! )

:D

statick
01-28-2005, 09:49 AM
my preference is the nsx.

-reliable
-handles great
-not as bad on gas
-lots of potential to be faster

Weapon_R
01-28-2005, 09:58 AM
The Viper would rape every car on your list

CryoCarnage
01-28-2005, 10:18 AM
supra. Supra. SUPRA. SUPRA! haha vipers are shit. Worse then the NSX. For the price of the Viper, you could get a 1000 rhp Supra. For the price of the NSX, you could get a Super fast 300ZX, changing the engine into a SR20DETT or some shit like that. face it no one likes the viperm that's why they always get hunted. :thumbsup:

brandon
01-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
supra. Supra. SUPRA. SUPRA! haha vipers are shit. Worse then the NSX. For the price of the Viper, you could get a 1000 rhp Supra. For the price of the NSX, you could get a Super fast 300ZX, changing the engine into a SR20DETT or some shit like that. face it no one likes the viperm that's why they always get hunted. :thumbsup:

I belive we are talking about stock cars,

but thanks Brian Earl Spilner ;)

CSMRX7
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
We need to know what Year? I mean a new vette or Viper are way more expensive than a Supra, RX7 or 300zx.

Not really comparing apples to apples.

heavyD
01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The Viper would rape every car on your list

In a straight line yes. It isn't the best all around car of the group though.

boostedDsm
01-28-2005, 05:01 PM
except for reliability, the best overall sports car is the rx7 period.
it's been proven time and time again.

E36M3
01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
NSX. It is the Ferrari designed by people who went to college. Unbelievable handling, great balance, dead reliable.

On the downside it is very expensive and modifications are unbelievably expensive.

As to the underpowered comments.. I think the numbers make it seem that way, but I always thought they were fast as hell. Seat of the pants dyno is the way I look at power instead of what shows on paper. It would be an unbelievable supercar if it had 400+ hp (the supercharged NSXes out there are unreal) but I think stock is just fine.

JAYMEZ
01-28-2005, 05:27 PM
NSX are reliable , but for the price they are just to damn slow.
Supra is wayyy to heavy
Corv is probably #1
Viper is super fast , but you are paying for it.
FD awesome car , but with 20b Engine in , would kick some serious ass.

jdmengines
01-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage

You want to swap out the VG30DETT in the 300zx for an SR20DETT? And I dont know why theres an extra "T" in that engine code.

finboy
01-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
[B
Supra is wayyy to heavy
. [/B]

they really aren't THAT heavy :dunno:

1badPT
01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

In a straight line yes. It isn't the best all around car of the group though.

Which do you guys believe is the best all around car? Consider price, handling, 1/4 mile, looks, dependibility

Handling wise, the Viper SRT-10 and the Comp Coupe will keep up with anything in the list (for the GTS and RT/10 are pretty good too but their braking/skid pad numbers aren't quite as good). Looks wise I think its better than anything else in the list and the engine is very reliable (better than most rating from JD Power) - the only thing it falls short on is price, but you picked the NSX as one of your choices which costs even more and can't touch it in any category except dependability which would be a close call and looks which is subjective.

PS I pick Viper :D

SmAcKpOo
01-28-2005, 06:23 PM
come on guys, we all know a civic dx would take it all. slap on a fart pipe and some 5hp stickers and everything would eat its dust

googe
01-28-2005, 07:19 PM
it boggles my mind why anyone would pick the nsx, it cant make a case for being the best in any category. no, not even handling. and it costs 2-3 times as much to boot!

donz
01-29-2005, 11:47 AM
come on now, NSX isn't taht bad of a choice, the car handles well, it has great balance, MR layout. It's pretty light compared to some of the cars on the list. The revs, and 6 sped gear box make it a formidible car on the track. However I agree it does cost a ton!!!
If you are comparing it by cost, saying that every car will cost the same, the cheaper cars will dominate right? Like spending 100k on a RX-7 would make it a pretty dominating car. 20b engine swap, single turbo swap, new suspension, carbon brakes, le mans style!! well you get the point. each of the lower class cars could embaress the high priced cars easily...
Go FD!!!
Hey why isn't the GTR on the list?

crazydave
01-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
come on guys, we all know a civic dx would take it all. slap on a fart pipe and some 5hp stickers and everything would eat its dust

:rofl: :werd:

zoorocz
01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
they had the viper on top gear like 2 weeks ago and i think that car should stay away from twisty road's. i would get a NSX or a Supra. but in my opinion i wold dich all those car's
and get a R34 or one of these :bigpimp:

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0410htp_zo/index.html

nothing comes close to the '04 z06, and most car enthusiasts know that

we're talking about stock cars here, and quite frankly supras are turds in stock form, so are 300zx's, rx7's.....a z06 would destroy them in the 1/4mile and take them on the turns

now, for $45k (z06), you can get a super car that can hit 11's BONE STOCK, and hit 1.00 on the skid pad and outhandle almost anything in it's class (including lambos etc.)...don't forget it's amazing stopping power, 2nd only to the viper when it comes to braking

nsx, for the price, is pretty slow in a straight line

Le Mans says it all, the c5-R has won 3 out of the last 4 years, and is the car to beat

for any car less than $100k, the z06 is in a class of it's own.......when mods come into play, it's anybody's game, but we're talking stock

finboy
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by pb24dagrk
[url]
now, for $45k (z06), you can get a super car that can hit 11's BONE STOCK,

B.S.

zoorocz
01-30-2005, 09:20 PM
11sec 1/4 stock please tell me your joking

Skyline_Addict
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
yeah, i think the z06 has the best value for money, stock.

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by zoorocz
11sec 1/4 stock please tell me your joking

want to make a friendly wager?

do you hang out with z06 clubs like i do? are you into the vette scene like i am?

i highly doubt it

you do realize that with a decent driver it is very easy to get them into the 12.3-12.1 range? i ran a 12.4 bone stock and it was my first time at the track

i suggest you learn something about other cars before calling the BS flag

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0410htp_zo/index.html

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by finboy

B.S.

browse over at www.z06vette.com or www.corvetteforum.com and see what kind of times people are running

better yet, ask for a guy named "ranger", he will lead you to any infomration you will need

the problem with most people is they live by magazine times too much.....sure, those experienced drivers are good drivers sometimes, but they don't have the same feel that can be generated after many times down a drag strip (in the same car)

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48180

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51353

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53940

with drag radials:
http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30089

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73889&highlight=stock+times

googe
01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
z06 have indeed hit high 11s bone stock.

CSMRX7
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM

browse over at www.z06vette.com or www.corvetteforum.com and see what kind of times people are running

better yet, ask for a guy named "ranger", he will lead you to any infomration you will need

the problem with most people is they live by magazine times too much.....sure, those experienced drivers are good drivers sometimes, but they don't have the same feel that can be generated after many times down a drag strip (in the same car)

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48180

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51353

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53940

with drag radials:
http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30089

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73889&highlight=stock+times

I wouldn't say theat the Z06 ist he best car for the money. Bu an RX7 for half the price, and you have an amaizing car that is out of the league of most drivers.
I do like Z06s and on paper it will wlak and FD, but after driving both, the RX7 is just a lot more fun to drive, you really feel connected to the car, something I didn't necissarily feel with the Z06 (but I guess that is just preference).

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

I wouldn't say theat the Z06 ist he best car for the money. Bu an RX7 for half the price, and you have an amaizing car that is out of the league of most drivers.
I do like Z06s and on paper it will wlak and FD, but after driving both, the RX7 is just a lot more fun to drive, you really feel connected to the car, something I didn't necissarily feel with the Z06 (but I guess that is just preference).

:)

half the price, sure...but then it runs high 13's and low 14's, and doesn't have the same oomph in a straight line, and would have a hard time keeping up on the twisties

i agree that a lot of it has to do with preference, but when the car is compared to lambos, porsches, and ferraris to overall performance, and you see that it costs $45k-$50k, and it's competitors are in the 6 digits, then yes, it is one helluva car for the money :)

CSMRX7
01-30-2005, 10:08 PM

:)

half the price, sure...but then it runs high 13's and low 14's, and doesn't have the same oomph in a straight line, and would have a hard time keeping up on the twisties

i agree that a lot of it has to do with preference, but when the car is compared to lambos, porsches, and ferraris to overall performance, and you see that it costs $45k-$50k, and it's competitors are in the 6 digits, then yes, it is one helluva car for the money :)

Were really not comparing equal vehicles. You have to remeber my RX7 is 10 years old. But it still ran a 13.3 @ 105 bone stock!
If we want to compare aples to appleas and compare an FD to a C4 it will run circles around the C4, then add a few mods and still be way under the cost of a Z06 and it will take out a Z06 no problem and you have money to spare and can take a driving school an actually learn how to use the car.

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 10:17 PM

Were really not comparing equal vehicles. You have to remeber my RX7 is 10 years old. But it still ran a 13.3 @ 105 bone stock!
If we want to compare aples to appleas and compare an FD to a C4 it will run circles around the C4, then add a few mods and still be way under the cost of a Z06 and it will take out a Z06 no problem and you have money to spare and can take a driving school an actually learn how to use the car.

that's true, but then again the car stopped being made, so that's not my fault......and then you're comparing a modded car to a stock car...do you know what a cam only z06 is capable of ? if you want to compare mods, do you know what a 427 twin turbo lingenfelter stage 3 is? it's a daily driven 1,000 HP vette that runs 9's and looks and sounds bone stock

i don't really like using the "buy car A for ____ price, and throw in the money saved into mods, and spank car B"....that's kind of a ricey argument, because technically i can get a civic, and spend a million bucks and make it faster than a mclaren

but back to the point, for the money, the z06 has been considered the best bang for the buck by all the top magazines (unbiased) for the performance you get for the money, and the competition you go against

the original argument was OVERALL performing car

zoorocz
01-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by googe
z06 have indeed hit high 11s bone stock.

The enzo ferrari dose 11 sec1/4

Enzo 2766lbs 660hp
Z06 3130lbs 500hp plz explain

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM

Enzo 2766lbs 660hp

enzo is also geared for the high end (can reach 200+mph)....

we're not BSing you man, it's well documented

like i said, hang out with z06 clubs if you want, or browse their forums and watch videos and time slips.........ignorance is bliss :bigpimp:

CSMRX7
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh well how bout and LS6 powered RX7?

Nearly the same weight distribution as a 13b, way more torque and more reliable.

pb24dagrk
01-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Nearly the same weight distribution as a 13b, way more torque and more reliable.

:D

got me there :clap:

finboy
01-30-2005, 10:57 PM
11's closer to sea level, here in calgary a zo6 is MUCH slower, (n/a car + calgary = big dissadvantage).

googe
01-31-2005, 01:40 AM

Enzo 2766lbs 660hp

405hp on the z06 actually. the c6 z06 (500hp) isnt even out yet. thatll post even better times :)

gorillam
01-31-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
the corvette.
the supra is too heavy

Viper has the tremec t65, and most svt cobra's have some sort of tremec 5* series tranny, not really an advantage there.

palladinx
01-31-2005, 02:03 AM
i cant believe you r puting the viper in the same catagory as those other cars..... its like a lambo compared to a fuckin civic...... if u have a chance of getin a viper that would be ur best bet, the only thing is the best is not cheap but its hella fun :thumbsup:

Team_Mclaren
01-31-2005, 02:12 AM

Please tell me your joking...:thumbsdow :whipped: :whipped:

zoorocz
01-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by palladinx
i cant believe you r puting the viper in the same catagory as those other cars..... its like a lambo compared to a fuckin civic...... if u have a chance of getin a viper that would be ur best bet, the only thing is the best is not cheap but its hella fun :thumbsup:

uh the guy asked what car do you think is best all around. all the cars listed are fun to drive so save your biased opinions to your self :thumbsup:

CSMRX7
01-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Please tell me your joking...:thumbsdow :whipped: :whipped:

Its been done, and now there is a company selling the subframe for the swap.

The weekest point in the FD is the engine. It is great stock but pops when modded. The LS6 with T56 tranny is one of the best drivetrains ever produced, why would you not want that in a light body that is one of the best handling vehicles ever made? Unless you are a purist that believes that an RX7 should have a rotary, but then I wouldn't know why you would modify any car if you believe it was better stock.

finboy
01-31-2005, 10:58 AM

The weekest point in the FD is the engine. It is great stock but pops when modded. The LS6 with T56 tranny is one of the best drivetrains ever produced, why would you not want that in a light body that is one of the best handling vehicles ever made? Unless you are a purist that believes that an RX7 should have a rotary, but then I wouldn't know why you would modify any car if you believe it was better stock.

i would think that the ls1 wold throw off the balance of the car, or if you were to put it in far back and low enough in the engine bay that it would be a WHORE to work on. i would MUCH rather swap in a nice 4 or 6 cyl, but thats just personal prefrence.

heavyD
01-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by palladinx

What? The only true exotic of the group is the NSX. It costs twice as much as the rest.

Wildcat
01-31-2005, 11:06 AM
^^ its easier than youd think, you can change out the cam without having to take the engine off its mounts beleive it or not.

on a side note; this thread is retarded, much like the majority of these newb replys.

Team_Mclaren
01-31-2005, 11:08 AM

weakest point??? if so then why would you buy a RX-7? Yes I do think that any RX should have a rotary, thats the reason why they were made, if you want mad power, the 20B would be a way better option imo.

CSMRX7
01-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

weakest point??? if so then why would you buy a RX-7? Yes I do think that any RX should have a rotary, thats the reason why they were made, if you want mad power, the 20B would be a way better option imo.

The 20b is not a good option if you want to keep the RX7 an agile car. The whole amaizing turn in feel of the rx7 is lost with the 20b because it is so heavy (although it is great for straight line performance). The LS1 or LS6 being aluminium is actually not much heavier than the 13B with turbos and IC. In fact the weight distribution doesn't change much as you add less than 30 lbs to the front of the car. Also it is mounted quite low in the car to maintain the center of gravity, but there is still room to work (more than a 20b an really not much less than a 13b with turbos.

talonboi
01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by jdmengines

You want to swap out the VG30DETT in the 300zx for an SR20DETT? And I dont know why theres an extra "T" in that engine code.
i guess he made a mistake, but its not a bad idea, nguyen at autodream swapped a SR20det into his 300zx, and he ran faster then a 300zxTT, and also in japan, with the supra, they swap the 2jz-gte motor for a 3s-gte, its not a dumb thing to do;)

finboy
01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by talonboi

i guess he made a mistake, but its not a bad idea, nguyen at autodream swapped a SR20det into his 300zx, and he ran faster then a 300zxTT, and also in japan, with the supra, they swap the 2jz-gte motor for a 3s-gte, its not a dumb thing to do;)

it is considering the amount of work it takes, it is WAY easier to make more power off the 2jz or vg then to swap in a 4 cyl, not to mention you can make more power on pump gas with the larger displacement.

boostedDsm
02-02-2005, 11:46 PM
corvette:rolleyes: any time, any track, any turn, any day:thumbsup:

CalgarySupra
02-03-2005, 09:03 PM
supra or corvette. i use to have a 1993 (4 generation) supra non turbo only had it for a month and it was amazing and very reliable. this was back in jan 2001, before 9/11 it was a florida car.

anyway yeah read that road and track article from 1993 it will give u a good idea.

1badPT
02-03-2005, 10:02 PM
you had it for a month and it was very reliable?? how the hell do you come to that conclusion after a month?? I'm not saying they're not reliable, it just seems funny to me that you'd draw that conclusion after owning the vehicle for such little time - reliability has more to do with the long term.

CSMRX7
02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I took the RX7 out for a little spin again tonight, and it reconfrimed its greatness. It felt so amaizing the feel was amaizing. I forget that in the winter, but to be honest the only other car in the group that has that kind of feel is the NSX and it is $$$ (sidenot: Viper not included I can not judge the new viper as I haven't driven it)!!!

CalgarySupra
02-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
you had it for a month and it was very reliable?? how the hell do you come to that conclusion after a month?? I'm not saying they're not reliable, it just seems funny to me that you'd draw that conclusion after owning the vehicle for such little time - reliability has more to do with the long term.

well i know what you mean, its just a toyota is known for reliablity, at that time i already had 92 for 3 years. it was just as reliable. thats all iam saying. a jdm engine turbo 7mgte costs about 1000, when i needed an engine for a 1994 nissian 300zx non turbo, i found one at the time (2002) there were 3000 dollars.

i am not being bias or anything. on a corvette i like them because they are quality made. with a lot of power.