PDA

View Full Version : Networking Windows XP

A790
01-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Ok, can anyone help me out here? I'm trying to direct-connect two computers togther. No internet, just two computers talking to each other. I don't have a serial cable or whatever- I figured that you could do it through the ethernet cards. One computer is running Windows XP MCE and the other is just XP.

I don't want to share an internet connection or whatever, I just want to transfer some files from my old pc to my new one.

Is it possible? I've having a hell of a time...

kenny
01-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Make sure you are using the proper cable. Most ethernet cable are straight through cables and are designed for use in PC->HUB or PC->SWITCH type connections.

For PC->PC connection you need a crossover cable.

A790
01-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Make sure you are using the proper cable. Most ethernet cable are straight through cables and are designed for use in PC->HUB or PC->SWITCH type connections.

For PC->PC connection you need a crossover cable.

Where do I get and how much?

Ben
01-28-2005, 02:47 AM
CHEAP!~

http://mirror.memoryexpress.net/DisplayCategory.php?CatID=146

A790
01-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Once I've got a crossover cable, is it just a matter of running the network connection wizard?

legendboy
01-28-2005, 09:23 AM
-make both pc's are part of the same WORKGROUP (as defualt)

-make a shared (to everyone) folder on the pc your transfering files to.

-connect via crossover cable

-view My Network Places

-view Workgroup of Computers

you should see it there.

A790
01-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys :)

forced14
01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
once the cable is connected you can also go to run and type "\\computername" and then enter, this will go to your shared folders, otherwise you can type "\\computername\c$" don't forget the dollar sign, and the "c$" just specifies the c:\ drive, so if you have another drive you want to access, change it to the correct drive letter. This will allow you to enter hidden shares that are not necessarily a shared folder, but you will be prompted for an administrator password or a password of a user on that computer with administrator rights.

D'z Nutz
01-28-2005, 05:53 PM
If you go to the U of C, the microstore sells them even cheaper! It's like $9?

A790
01-29-2005, 01:50 PM
I connected everything via crossover cables, ran the network wizard, and I still can't get them to talk to each other.

They are both on the default workgroup "MSHOME"; why the hell isn't it working?!

It's driving me insane!

ricosuave
01-29-2005, 03:26 PM
try giving the workgroup a new name, something other than the default.

rico

A790
01-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Alright, I got it working. Thank god; I had 14 gigs of MP3's to transfer. *phew*

ricosuave
01-29-2005, 09:24 PM
what did you do

Charon
01-30-2005, 04:16 AM
I allways find trouble with windows networking when the computers are on different subnets. Windows seems to complain less when you are on the same subnet.

A790
01-30-2005, 02:38 PM
I had to define everything manually- that "networking setup wizard" is a joke.

Chiggles
02-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Wow, you guys seem to go through a lot of hassle just to do a simple data transfer. If you're not CONSTANTLY sharing files and need to have these files synced on both machines all the time, then networking is a bunch of crap in my opinion. Any time I've ever needed to do a major file dump, all I did was yank out the hard drive from the source tower, change the jumper setting to slave, install it to the destination tower as a secondary drive, booted up the 2nd tower and either copied/moved my data from one drive to the other through the same IDE cable with windows explorer, then when that was finished I would pull that slave drive back out, set it back to master, and re-install it into the original source tower. Much less :bullshit: in my opinion. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: