PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine Cleaner

AllGoNoShow
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Ok its been discussed a few times but never in full, what is the best most effective engine cleaner out there, I have heard all Good Things about Simple green and a few good and bads about others. What have you guys tried and works the best? or tried and ruined something?

1-Bar
01-28-2005, 03:08 PM
simple green, tooth brush and some elbow grease :thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
01-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Thats probably what I'll end up going with, jus tthe fact that Im not just spraying water into the engine bay, I'm actually scrubbing the grases and stuff off, much better satisfaction

1-Bar
01-28-2005, 11:16 PM
ah...I sprayed water into my engine bay to clean it...lol But then again it was summer time and it dried really quickly. Just avoid getting water on the electrical components and you should be okay.

Most of the time simple green and no scrubbing will take the majority of that dirt off.

djfob
01-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I used simple green and just hosed it off after. It came out pretty clean without having to scrub anything.

AllGoNoShow
01-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Well electrical components wont exsist when I do it, pulling the blown motor out, cleaning it up while I'm in there and got room to mess around.

Crasian
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
does that "clean engine" option at the car wash work at all? or is it just a waste of time and money?

AllGoNoShow
02-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Depends on how dirty really, if you ask me, a few bucks for Simple Green and a little bit of a nice warm weekend will look better then 10 bucks thrown into those machines

The car wash things are for lazy people :P

streetarab
02-09-2005, 05:03 PM
CASTROL SUPER CLEAN, comes in a bottle like simple green but its purple, IMO it works a hell of a lot better than simple green

Speed_69
02-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Depends on how dirty really, if you ask me, a few bucks for Simple Green and a little bit of a nice warm weekend will look better then 10 bucks thrown into those machines

The car wash things are for lazy people :P

how do these clean engine options work? wouldn't it get water into your engine?:dunno:

DuPont
02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by streetarab
CASTROL SUPER CLEAN, comes in a bottle like simple green but its purple, IMO it works a hell of a lot better than simple green
I second that :thumbsup: I was a simple green guy till I found CSC.

Originally posted by Speed_69
how do these clean engine options work? wouldn't it get water into your engine?:dunno:

lol. When you take your car to Ziebart, and get an engine shampoo, they put a platic bag over the distributor cap(if your lucky), spray degreaser (usually CarBrite) all over, let it sit for a bit, then blast it with the pressure washer. Same as I do in a coin-op for 2 bucks, but they charge $30.:D

phat97yukon
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
ive used spray nine grease off... worked amazing.. made belts and hoses look new and didnt even have to scrub it.. let it sit for like 10 15 mins and spray off...

Than you got that shitty spray can crap... doesnt work and leaves a odd oder that ya get sick of pretty damn quick..

alpha
02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
I used the citrus engine degreaser from motormaster. its like $3. and works very well with no scrubbing. and wont discolor exposed aluminum like the castrol stuff.

lsc2g
02-14-2005, 11:26 PM
castrol stuff works great but OMG don't breathe the fumes in.. its super harsh..

oddly enough i found citris based to work well to.. i've even used household counter cleaner citris stuff and it did the job no problem..