white tigerz
01-29-2005, 06:46 PM
The Audi A3 2-Door Hatchback

http://www.audi.com/reports/gallery/de/a3/800_600_a3_02.jpg

http://www.audi.com/reports/gallery/de/a3/800_600_a3_07.jpg

http://www.audi.com/reports/gallery/de/a3/800_600_a3_09.jpg

http://assets.audi.co.za/experience/multimedia/wpa31800.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I recently started a petition to ask Audi Canada to bring the A3 2-door hatchback to Canada.
If you are Canadian and you like the A3 hatchback, please sign the petition. It only takes a minute.
If you are not Canadian but you want to help out, please sign the petition.
If you just don't care, that's okay.
The petition can be found on the petitiononline.com website at http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?cana3
Just enter your first and last name, followed by your e-mail. That's it. "petitiononline.com" may send you a confirmation message. Your e-mail WILL NOT actually appear on the petition, WILL NOT be used for anything else, and you WILL NOT receive junk mail.
To all those who take a minute to sign, THANK YOU. If I get enough signatures, I will print out a copy and show it to Audi Canada at the Canadian Auto Show. With some luck, the A3 hatchback may arrive soon in it's facelifted form with the single grille.

mutsuraboshi
01-29-2005, 09:12 PM
70 signatures alrdy hey..
crazy progress. that last picture is so false advertisting :P

A_3
01-29-2005, 09:17 PM
haha almost... still at 69. It's a beautiful car and i'm sure there would be a market for it here in Canada just like with the Mercedes C-class hatch. Is there some reason it can't be brought here like a weak bumper a la' R32? :dunno:

Toms-SC
01-29-2005, 10:32 PM
You got the money to buy this car? Talk is cheap :rolleyes:

white tigerz
01-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by A_3
haha almost... still at 69. It's a beautiful car and i'm sure there would be a market for it here in Canada just like with the Mercedes C-class hatch. Is there some reason it can't be brought here like a weak bumper a la' R32? :dunno:

The Audi A3 2-door hatchback is available in most parts of the world. In fact, it is offered in North America, but for now, only in Mexico. However, the A3 Sportback is available in Canada and US; it will arrive in May.
The problem with the A3 2-door is that many Americans don't like hatchbacks; hatchback sales in the US are low.
However, as I point out in my petition, many Canadians like hatchbacks; hatchback sales in Canada are higher. In fact, Chevrolet only offers its Optra 5 hatch in Canada. Unfortunately, Canada is often influenced by the US, thus, Audi has withheld it from Canada for the moment.
However, given stronger hatch sales in Canada, I think Audi Canada would be justified in offering the A3 hatchback in Canada. So my petition isn't a joke, there is some reason behind it.

BlueGoblin
01-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Why not just get a new 5th gen GTI? it will have the same running gear -minus quattro, of course - and probably share a goodly portion of the sheetmetal for less money. The interior will probably not be too far off in quality, and if you wanted to take it upmarket you could add some brushed aluminum or wood veneer trim as is your preference.

I suspect that Audi North America won't want the A3, S3 or A2 here because they want minimal overlap with VW on the lower end of the scale. The new Phaeton and Passat W8 probably step on Audi's upmarket toes as it is, and there isn't a huge 'premium compact' market here yet. The Merc hatch is a modest success but the 318Ti wasn't replaced with the 1999 gen 3 series.

In Europe, VW can get away with more brand differentiation; They have the same basic (Golf) platform and engine choices for Th Seat Leon/Toledo, The Skoda Octavia, the VW Golf/Bora and the Audi A3. Seat gets to be 'Sporty', Skoda is 'traditional value, VW is the catch-all standard, and Audi is 'sport luxury'. It seems to fly over there, but I just can't seem to see that kind of overlap working here for VW...at least not yet.

white tigerz
01-29-2005, 11:48 PM
If only the A3 2-door hatch would get here sooner.

Ben
01-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
You got the money to buy this car? Talk is cheap :rolleyes:

100% Correct.

70 signatures with full vehicle price downpayment would be a different sorry (however I doubt they'll crash test them here just to get a few dozen sales).

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
Why not just get a new 5th gen GTI? it will have the same running gear -minus quattro, of course - and probably share a goodly portion of the sheetmetal for less money. The interior will probably not be too far off in quality, and if you wanted to take it upmarket you could add some brushed aluminum or wood veneer trim as is your preference.

I suspect that Audi North America won't want the A3, S3 or A2 here because they want minimal overlap with VW on the lower end of the scale. The new Phaeton and Passat W8 probably step on Audi's upmarket toes as it is, and there isn't a huge 'premium compact' market here yet. The Merc hatch is a modest success but the 318Ti wasn't replaced with the 1999 gen 3 series.

In Europe, VW can get away with more brand differentiation; They have the same basic (Golf) platform and engine choices for Th Seat Leon/Toledo, The Skoda Octavia, the VW Golf/Bora and the Audi A3. Seat gets to be 'Sporty', Skoda is 'traditional value, VW is the catch-all standard, and Audi is 'sport luxury'. It seems to fly over there, but I just can't seem to see that kind of overlap working here for VW...at least not yet.

True. It sucks that north america as a whole looks at cars this way but it's reality.

People are still obsessed with poor gas milage and the SUV way of life. I mean hell, 85% of vehicles in North America sold are Automatics, Europe is the other way around. Really unfortunate because we miss out on some %@*&($ awesome cars.

BumpinTalon
01-30-2005, 12:54 AM
this petition will not do jack shit to bring the car over here... if you want the A3 so bad, buy a large stake in Audi Canada and convince them to bring it over yourself.

Godfuader
01-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
this petition will not do jack shit to bring the car over here... if you want the A3 so bad, buy a large stake in Audi Canada and convince them to bring it over yourself.

:werd: A petition is by NO means a guarantee that those astronomical # of 70 sigs will actually buy the car! i guarantee that 60% of sigs are ppl who probably own a car worth less than $10,000, 20% would actually consider this seriously , and the rest probably dont own a vehicle or aren't even old enough to drive.
If their $1,000,000 worth of marketing and research results the car wont have a decent market...1000 sigs wont make a difference.

white tigerz
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
To those who doubt the success of my petition, hey, there's no harm trying.
And to those who signed my petition, thanks for your support! After only a few days, the petition now has over 100 signatures and it's still growing!

turboMiata
01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by white tigerz

True.

But first I'd like to know where I can find a petition for the following cars:

- Lancer Evo
- R32
- B7 S4 in Nogaro

Godfuader
01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by white tigerz

Well power to ya! ur determination shows that you must be a real enthusiast. Good luck :thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
02-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Ben

<snip> People are still obsessed with poor gas milage and the SUV way of life. I mean hell, 85% of vehicles in North America sold are Automatics, Europe is the other way around. Really unfortunate because we miss out on some %@*&amp;($ awesome cars.

Even though this is true nowadays autos are close to, if not surpassing their manual equivalents in terms of gas mileage and performance. That being said I would still take a manual over an auto or a semi-auto in a sports oriented car.

- That car is good looking but at its price point you won't find very many consumers on this side of the ocean that want that style. It won't see the light of day here IMO but good luck anyways.