PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here work at a tire-mouting shop?

ricosuave
01-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Ive got a set of 4 tires that need to be resealed on the rims, and the air valves replaced.

The cheapest :eek: quote I got so far is $80 for all 4.

Can someone hook me up with a much more reasonable price?

Thanks,
Rico

SSenDam
01-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Costco is your friend
unmounting or mounting
8 dollars a wheel

ricosuave
01-30-2005, 09:40 AM
no membership...

but thanks.

vietdood
01-30-2005, 09:45 AM
god damn, i need a membership there. walmart does it for 15 a wheel for mounting, 12 for unmounting. that's what they told me 3 months ago

googe
01-30-2005, 09:49 AM
yeah 80 is about as good as youre going to get.

SSenDam
01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
I suggest you find someone with a membership
that is cost savings of over 50%
Hell get a membership

QuasarCav
01-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Poorboy tire on Hubalta road SE. 60 for mount and balance.

quiksilver
01-31-2005, 11:37 PM
it wont work unless the tires were purchased at costco. and you need a membership to purchase the tires

Phuqu
02-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Beyond needs to pool money for a tire changer. I have some I need swapped too.

BigBearWest
02-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Goto any highschool shop and they will do it for cheap

7thgenvic
02-01-2005, 01:36 AM
i have a machine at work! too bad i don't know how to use it! :(

KoukiS14
02-01-2005, 06:44 AM
My Tires should only be $60.
291-1661

AllGoNoShow
02-02-2005, 02:49 AM
If someone buys my laptop for $400 then I might consider buyting this Tire machine for sale I have a link on right now, its only $500, if it works then I will just charger you guys like $5 a tire, I know alot of you burn rubber so its a small price to pay instead of like $20 a tire at shops, or more. Let me know how many people would be interested in this.

78si
02-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
Goto any highschool shop and they will do it for cheap

You have to be nice to automotive teachers. They always help out the right people.. :thumbsup:

HTN SWCHS
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
tire machines are expensive, good ones at least that wont f- up aluminum mags, do you have replacement mags, if you pop em off id do em for you

btw: ironically enough, we charge 25 bucks for tire repair and balance 1 wheel, but only 7bucks goes into my pocket, profitable business though

ricosuave
03-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 78si

You have to be nice to automotive teachers. They always help out the right people.. :thumbsup:

hey 78si, can you hook me up? i also need to talk to you about my crx...

any other ideas welcome too...

rico

eblend
03-25-2005, 08:39 AM
80 bucks is very reasonable for 4 tires to be unmounted, mounted, new valve stems, balancing

thats how much i paid to get mine done at harpers tire

AllGoNoShow
03-26-2005, 01:36 AM
If you got other rubbers and metals to put on in the mean time I could remount+new valve stems for employee pricing probably, let me know.

ricosuave
03-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
If you got other rubbers and metals to put on in the mean time I could remount+new valve stems for employee pricing probably, let me know.

i'd be into that - how much is employee pricing for all 4 ?

i'd need new valves, and lots of that rim / rubber sealant.

rico

ricosuave
04-11-2005, 10:54 AM
still looking

chris
04-27-2005, 05:35 PM
togo tires, 40 bucks to unmount, mount and balance all 4 wheels

ricosuave
04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
beautiful. thanks!

alpha
04-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
If someone buys my laptop for $400 then I might consider buyting this Tire machine for sale I have a link on right now, its only $500, if it works then I will just charger you guys like $5 a tire, I know alot of you burn rubber so its a small price to pay instead of like $20 a tire at shops, or more. Let me know how many people would be interested in this.

I'm interested!

AllGoNoShow
04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Screw the buying a tire machine idea ;)

rico u still looking for some mounted up? PM me ur cell or something, I may be able to do it tomorrow, later in the day as we are always busy during the morning/afternoon, or sunday late aswell

worm
04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
CanadianTire will do it for only 9$ a tire that includes swapping the tires, new valves and balancing. I work at one and the one thing I will tell you is becareful because depending on the rims it's very easy to damage high end rims. I do my own there for free. That's one of the reasons I work there is for the free shop time and use of the equipment. and yes there are some idiots that work at some of the stores. Canadian tire will not guarantee that your rims don't get damaged but if you ask around or know someone, you can get someone with experience to do the work. If you were up here in Cold Lake I'd do them for ya!

AllGoNoShow
04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Thats why you don't get your work done at Canadian Tire.

worm
04-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Like I said I would have to know someone before I had my done there but if he hasn't got high end rims it's pretty hard to damage steel rims.

On to another subject though does anyone here have any idea how hard it is on tire to be taken on and off a set of rims?? Not to mention how hard the winter is on a set of high end rims. anyone who is running seperate sets of tires for summer and winter should have different rims for the different seasons anyway. a nice set for summer and a steel set or your stock set for the winter. A little more expensive this way but then you only have to worry about the rims once every few years when you put on new tires instead of every fall and spring.

AllGoNoShow
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Not everyone on this forum has "high end" rims that they need tires mounted and dismounted and such.

Alot of people on here just use their stock rims from their car for winter and summer and everything in between. Yes some people have steelies for winter and alloys for summer but some don't, not EVERYONE should if they don't have the space/need for them.

Yes dismounting a tire all the time can be hard on the tire, specifically the ebad and the sidewall. Anyone can rip a bead on a tire when dismounting, thats why you use lots of lube and don't rush/watch what your doing. After awhile your sidewalls may become less stiff, but that while can be a few years, atleast. It doesn't cause anymore damage to the sidewalls as say hitting a pothole at 70km an hour. By the time most beads/sidewalls arent strong enough or as strong as they were when they are new, their is no rubber left anyways, unless your buying cheap tires like Korean rubber/some others Wal-Mart sells/Motomaster etc.. etc.. then frankly, you get what you pay for.

worm
04-28-2005, 03:00 PM
That is just my point if your not using alloy or "high end" rims than you really don't have much to worry about and any shop can the work with little to no risk of damage to the rims. but so if your worried about damage to your rims from mounting and dis mounting every season as ricosuave seems to be well steel rims will only cost about 40$ a pop depending on the size. having them will just removed your worries about mounting each season.

As for the room to store the rims well if you store your summer tires them you have the room because rims fit inside your tires and take up no more room, thier just a little heavier than just the tire.

As for the need that all depends on of course cash flow, cost of tires of course is something you have to think about, less expensive tires than what you or I may use may be all someone else can afford so to them the less expensive tires might be too much to repair or replace if they get ripped during mounting. All I was trying to get across is if you have the "high end" rims chances are you have more expensive tires and the cost for winter rims or steel rims is worth the price. If your running less expensive tires the cost may still be worth it if for no other reason than to save the tires you have.

Now lets talk about cost for the average steel rim (40$) mount and dismount your tires for a couple of season and you would have payed the price of the rims and after that no more cost.

ricosuave
04-28-2005, 05:34 PM
thanks for the tips all

my rims are ordinary vw snowflake aluminum ones - nothing special about them other than the fact that I think they leak a bit around the outside seal! :)

ricosuave
04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by chris
togo tires, 40 bucks to unmount, mount and balance all 4 wheels

youre a horrible horrible liar chris. they said that it was closer to $80!!!

LOL

rico

ricosuave
04-29-2005, 05:21 PM
finally went to competition tire on ogden and blackfoot

scott treated me great, remount, new vavles and balance and rotation for $48 all incl.

thanks.

rico