PDA

View Full Version : Buying a USED car through PRIVATE sale from Ontario..PST?

nismodrifter
01-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Yes...I searched...could not find an answer on this question.

My dad is looking at purchasing a USED car from Ontario through a private sale, being an alberta resident would he be required to pay any PST on the car??

From what I have gathered, Ontario residents pay PST on the car when they take the bill of sale to get the plates. Since we'd be putting Alberta plates on the car would that mean that we do not pay PST? I am not 100% sure of the registration process in Ontario but that is what I have been able to find through my 2am research last night :)

Any insight on this topic will be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

R-Audi
01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I bought my car from Ontario, but I had it shipped here. I did not pay any taxes on the purchase

TurboMedic
01-30-2005, 12:47 PM
You should never pay tax on a private sale, unless the seller has a tax number (ie: business owner, but then its not a private sale!)

nismodrifter
01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
^thats kind of what I was thinking and I guess its true from what you guys say....I just started researching this shit at like 2am last night so maybe it was a stupid question to begin with. For some reason I was under the impression that Ontario gov't likes to such money out of used cars as well...

bol
01-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Even if the sale was from a business you do not have to pay PST as you live outside of the province. PST is not caclulated based on where the sale is made but where the purchaser lives.

nismodrifter
01-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Alright :) Thanks a ton for the quick replies!

Skyline_Addict
01-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by bol
Even if the sale was from a business you do not have to pay PST as you live outside of the province. PST is not caclulated based on where the sale is made but where the purchaser lives.

exactly. since we have no PST here, we do not pay PST for ANYTHING we buy. it's opposite for people from other provinces who must pay PST however. some provinces like Saskatchewan require that once the bill of sale is produced, the car MUST go through a mechanical and body inspection as well as PST liabilities.