PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gain

iced_out_00
01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm interested in starting a workout routine but i feel like i need to gain weight for my size. I'm around 5' 10'' and about 140. What's the best advice if i want to put on more weight without popping a belly?

davidI
01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Just eat tons of calories but try to eat clean foods. Chicken, Tuna, Veggies, Lean Beef. Really, you could stand to gain a little fat at that weight! I'd just eat eat eat eat eat and lift a few days a week. Don't do any cardio and allow your muscles lots of time to heal and respond.

iced_out_00
01-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Yea acctually I'm 130 so I think it's time to gain some weight. Anyone else got some ideas?

davidI
01-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Haha, man, if you're 5'10 and 130 just eat EVERYTHING!!!

I started out at 5'9" 140 and I thought I was tiny. I'm up to 180 now but I am an ectomorph like you so you've just gotta EAT. Get some ice cream, yogurt and lots of milk and other dairy going as well!

Chim
01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
The 3 E's of weight gain success:

Eat
Eat
Eat

And you're not gonna pop a belly, I went from somewhere under 130ish to 170 in less than a year and my 5.2 pack is still visible! Any extra fat for ectomorphs like us will come off pretty much no problem, I lost almost 9lbs over the holiday season just from taking a break from my routine and "eating like a normal person" (including the holiday binges).

GQBalla
01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
what is a ectomorph?

davidI
01-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
what is a ectomorph?

There are 3 basic body types

ectomorph
mesomorph
endomorph

Ectomorphs would be your skinny lanky types

Mesomorphs are people who are naturally muscular and have a muscular build (broad shoulders) etc.

Endomorphs are your bigger guys

Obviously some people have attributes of both, I'm Ecto-Meso I'd say but the way you train will depend on your body type and what you want to achieve.
Generally, for bodybuilding:

Ectos need to eat everything they can

Mesos need to eat a ton of clean calories

Endos need to watch their calories more closely and usually have a longer cutting or dieting phase

For powerlifting most people just eat eat eat no matter what body comp they are.

Skyline_Addict
01-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by davidI

There are 3 basic body types

ectomorph
mesomorph
endomorph

Ectomorphs would be your skinny lanky types

Mesomorphs are people who are naturally muscular and have a muscular build (broad shoulders) etc.

Endomorphs are your bigger guys

Obviously some people have attributes of both, I'm Ecto-Meso I'd say but the way you train will depend on your body type and what you want to achieve.
Generally, for bodybuilding:

Ectos need to eat everything they can

Mesos need to eat a ton of clean calories

Endos need to watch their calories more closely and usually have a longer cutting or dieting phase

For powerlifting most people just eat eat eat no matter what body comp they are.

i have very broad shoulders but am bordering on the lean/skinny side. what classified as then ?

Ajay
01-31-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat except for I weigh even less. I'm about 5'10 and I weigh about 115 lbs but not cause I can't gain weight. I eat like a motherfucker and I still can't pack on a single pound.....weighed the same since I was 16 and I'm 23 now!

I really don't eat too too healthy though so I'm gonna start and start working out at the same time as well.

I heard I can take some supplements like Mammoth and Lean Gain to put on some weight as well. Might go that route.

Skyline_Addict
01-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
I'm kinda in the same boat except for I weigh even less. I'm about 5'10 and I weigh about 115 lbs but not cause I can't gain weight. I eat like a motherfucker and I still can't pack on a single pound.....weighed the same since I was 16 and I'm 23 now!

I really don't eat too too healthy though so I'm gonna start and start working out at the same time as well.

I heard I can take some supplements like Mammoth and Lean Gain to put on some weight as well. Might go that route.

115?!?!?! wow, you must be really really skinny!
i'm same height, 152 lbs.
some people think i'm skinny, some in an athletic good way, some in a scrawny bad way. basically, my goal regardless is to gain about 5-10 pounds to gain some strength for sports. do you eat breakfast? I should start doing that, usually I have a glass of milk only. I heard eating 3 large meals per day helps you gain weight as opposed to many small, constant meals.

davidI
01-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

i have very broad shoulders but am bordering on the lean/skinny side. what classified as then ?

I can't tell you just from that information. There's more to it than just that. My guess would be ecto but you should do a search on it yourself and figure it out after reading all the criteria, what I gave are just very rudimentary basics to explain what each is.

Eating a shit load doesn't mean much unless it is nutritional food. Most guys who say they eat a shit load don't in reality. Just because you can sit down and eat an entire pizza doesn't mean you eat a lot. If you sit down every 2 hours and eat an entire pizza I'll be more impressed. You have to eat until you puke 6 times a day if you want to gain weight. Mammoth and Lean gain are basically protein and sugars...save your money and load up on Tuna, Chicken, Natty PB, Pasta, Rice etc.

Skyline_Addict
01-31-2005, 01:46 AM

I can't tell you just from that information. There's more to it than just that. My guess would be ecto but you should do a search on it yourself and figure it out after reading all the criteria, what I gave are just very rudimentary basics to explain what each is.

I'm 5"10 and 152 lbs. I do have longer arms, maybe an inch longer than most people my height, so that probably makes me look thinner/lankier than I really am.

Dope Dealer
01-31-2005, 02:06 AM
I think most Asians are ecto ;)

Skyline_Addict
01-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

generally more so than caucasians, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a hand full of fat asians roaming around.

Wildcat
01-31-2005, 09:12 AM
^ ya man, the sumo l33t. :rofl:

YCB
01-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Eating a shit load doesn't mean much unless it is nutritional food. Most guys who say they eat a shit load don't in reality. Just because you can sit down and eat an entire pizza doesn't mean you eat a lot. If you sit down every 2 hours and eat an entire pizza I'll be more impressed. You have to eat until you puke 6 times a day if you want to gain weight. Mammoth and Lean gain are basically protein and sugars...save your money and load up on Tuna, Chicken, Natty PB, Pasta, Rice etc.

:werd: When I was in high school, I wanted to gain weight really bad, but I didn't know how to clean bulk, so I ate everything I could get my hands on ie) burgers,fries, pizza, all that junk cookies etc. I did gain the weight.. but LOTS OF FAT, I had a gut and everything. Worst summer of my life haha I had to diet and do cardio everyday to lose that weight. You might be able to gain weight easier with a few burgers, but you will have a hell of a time burning off the excess fat off your gut. Clean bulking would benifit you in the long run.

Originally posted by
Dope Dealer

I think they are ecto's because they don't wanna work out, they rather go to the arcade and play foosball and Initial D haha.. well the ones at uni anyway.. haha

gggunit
01-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Just eat Peanut Butter.

ble
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
If you're really serious about putting on some mass, try out the guide below. Its a break down of how many calories from protein, carbs and fat you need inorder for you to gain weight. With the numbers, you can simply get a nutrition chart and build meals of your choice.

Basal Metabolic Rate .42 (This number is an average just to maintain normal body weight)

Since you're 140lbs and want to gain mass, I used .65 for the calculations.

Calories: 2154
(140bodyweightX.65)24 = 2154

Protein: 285 grams(1141 calories, 53%)
(2154X.53)/4 = 285

Carbohydrates: 188 grams(753 calories, 35%)
(2154X.35)/4 = 188

Fat: 53 grams(215 calories, .10)
(2154X.10)/4 = 53

Goodluck, remember to drink lots and lots of water too.

BumpinTalon
01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
gaining weight is hard. I started at 145 a year ago and I'm 155 now but I'm stuck. when I went on creatine I gained a huge amount of weight really fast, it was 7 or 8 pounds in a month, and then I gained slow since then.
if you want to get big, go for some creatine and drop sets.

Wildcat
01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
gaining weight is hard. I started at 145 a year ago and I'm 155 now but I'm stuck. when I went on creatine I gained a huge amount of weight really fast, it was 7 or 8 pounds in a month, and then I gained slow since then.
if you want to get big, go for some creatine and drop sets.

youve only gained 10lbs, thats nothing. you have tons of room to grow. try going from 155-195 in a year and tell me you cant get any bigger.

Chim
01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
^yup nobody reaches their genetic limit in bodybuilding, unless they've been hitting the weights since the day they've been born with 100% proper nutrition

BumpinTalon
01-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

youve only gained 10lbs, thats nothing. you have tons of room to grow. try going from 155-195 in a year and tell me you cant get any bigger.

naw my work out has stalled. I get stronger but not bigger... probably a nutrition problem since I don't have enough money to buy whey or creatine anymore.

Dope Dealer
01-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Whatever happened to eating real food? :dunno:

I'll take protein shake as an alternative, but I prefer sticking to real food.

buh_buh
01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
i dont think its that hard to gain weight.
In September i weighed 150 now I weigh almost 170. You just have to really want to gain weight. You can't just weight train, or just eat lots, its a combination of everything.

Ajay
01-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

115?!?!?! wow, you must be really really skinny!
i'm same height, 152 lbs.
some people think i'm skinny, some in an athletic good way, some in a scrawny bad way. basically, my goal regardless is to gain about 5-10 pounds to gain some strength for sports. do you eat breakfast? I should start doing that, usually I have a glass of milk only. I heard eating 3 large meals per day helps you gain weight as opposed to many small, constant meals.

Yah I'm a total scrawn but it's not like I'm not healthy at all. Well technically I am cause for my height I should be at least 140-155 lbs but I just can't pack it on. I'm starting to eat healthier and trying to work my way into weight training and getting in shape.

Back in high school I figured the only reason I couldn't put on weight was because I do have a really high metabolism and I was very active cause I played almost every sport back in the day so there wasn't a day I didn't have practice or a weekend I didn't have a tournament but I've been out of high school since 1999 and still can't pack on an ounce.

One summer about two or three years ago I even went as far as going on a bacon and Guiness diet. Ate bacon everyday and drank two Guinesses every other day and still not a shred of weight gained.

Skyline_Addict
02-01-2005, 12:38 AM

Yah I'm a total scrawn but it's not like I'm not healthy at all. Well technically I am cause for my height I should be at least 140-155 lbs but I just can't pack it on. I'm starting to eat healthier and trying to work my way into weight training and getting in shape.

Back in high school I figured the only reason I couldn't put on weight was because I do have a really high metabolism and I was very active cause I played almost every sport back in the day so there wasn't a day I didn't have practice or a weekend I didn't have a tournament but I've been out of high school since 1999 and still can't pack on an ounce.

One summer about two or three years ago I even went as far as going on a bacon and Guiness diet. Ate bacon everyday and drank two Guinesses every other day and still not a shred of weight gained.

seriously? i'm not so sure if "eating lots of food" will help you gain weight then, as mentioned by a few people in this thread! you should try some other alternatives, ones that are directly related to the type of weight/bulk gain you are looking for. I'm basically at the weight where I can go without a complete lunch one day, and then eat two dinners another day, and nothing will happen. it sounds like you're in a similar situation...you should try something else.

davidI
02-01-2005, 12:45 AM
All you people saying you 'can't gain weight' are full of shit. I don't care if you THINK you're eating enough, you aren't! Until you're eating till you're ready to puke 6 times a day you aren't eating enough. Ever mixed tuna, oats, milk and ice cream in a shake? Probably not...until you're getting over 10 000 nutritional calories you can't tell me that you're eating enough. I was in the same boat, I'm not going to lie, it takes a lot of time and hard work but it is possible.

civic_rida
02-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Goin from 150 - 190 when ur 6'4 is a big difference compared to when ur only 5'7

buh_buh
02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
well im the same height and I could still pack on the lbs.

Skyline_Addict
02-01-2005, 12:56 AM
All you people saying you 'can't gain weight' are full of shit. I don't care if you THINK you're eating enough, you aren't! Until you're eating till you're ready to puke 6 times a day you aren't eating enough. Ever mixed tuna, oats, milk and ice cream in a shake? Probably not...until you're getting over 10 000 nutritional calories you can't tell me that you're eating enough. I was in the same boat, I'm not going to lie, it takes a lot of time and hard work but it is possible.

yeah, I agree. alot of these people if not all, could probably eat more than they think. however, as it is "impossible" for these people to gain wait by eating "lots of food", then maybe they should try something new since they truly believe that they couldn't eat another loaf of bread.

davidI
02-01-2005, 12:59 AM
^ What is there that's 'new' for them to try? Steroids? Thyroid medication? Try drinking a gallon of whole milk every day for a month instead of 2 pints of guiness and tell me what happens. I wish some of you guys could see the food bills we have. Pretty much the entire reason I live at home is because food bills alone would cost the same as the months rent!

badseed
02-01-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm friggin short 5'5" and I currently weigh 160-165lbs. I also weighed 125 lbs at this same height. So it is possible to gain alot of weight with the right foods and proper training. It does take alot of time and hard work and it's not possible for everyone. I happen to be an easy gainer.

5hift
02-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
i dont think its that hard to gain weight.
In September i weighed 150 now I weigh almost 170. You just have to really want to gain weight. You can't just weight train, or just eat lots, its a combination of everything.

So true, for so long I had been stuck around 145 lbs at 5'10 and two summers I finally decided to do something about it. Im around 185 now and in great shape. Blaming genetics is easy, actually getting out and trying to do something about it 7 days a week is a different story. It all depends on how bad you want it.

Ajay
02-01-2005, 11:55 AM
^ What is there that's 'new' for them to try? Steroids? Thyroid medication? Try drinking a gallon of whole milk every day for a month instead of 2 pints of guiness and tell me what happens. I wish some of you guys could see the food bills we have. Pretty much the entire reason I live at home is because food bills alone would cost the same as the months rent!

I don't drink a gallon of milk a day but I do drink at least a good litre of milk a day because I know it's healthy for me and I actually enjoy milk.

I have a friend who's the same body type as me and he was in the same situation, couldn't gain an ounce regardless. He ended up taking Lean Gain for a little while and then switched to Mammoth and put on a good 30 pounds. I think this is the route that I'm going to have to take if I want to pack on some pounds.

davidI
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Anything you can get from Lean Gain or Mammoth you can get from food...you just can't be lazy in the kitchen.

iced_out_00
02-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Well what answer do i take

a.z13
05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
If ur serious about gaining weight just eating will not always do it for you if you have a fast metabolism. I saw someone above me talking about mammoth 2500. It is a good choice but you have to be sure you are on work out schedule. I talked to a trainer about this and they say the best to to bulk up and add muscle is to take a weight gainer supplement like Mammoth 2500 for 4 months. After doing this your weight should go up. However your body fat will increase because ur packing on calories (no way around this). So after 4 months use whey protein for half the time. This is the cutting stage which will lean u out so u drop most of the fat.

This is if you are serious about getting bigger and leaner. Oh and no cardio when ur in the bulking phase, but when ur cutting id hit the treadmill a couple times.

:burnout:

mslbebiz
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
davidI makes some good points... most people think they're eating big, when they're really still eating like little girls.

Although you'll never have to eat anywhere near 10,000 calories, the best way to find what you need to eat to gain weight on is to track what you eat for a week or two (depending on how much your diet varies).

If you find that you maintain your weight at 2,500 calories for example, bump it to 3,000 and start hitting the weights. If you start gaining, keep at it until gains slow then bump it another 400 calories. Usually every 10 lbs or so added to the scale will require a bump in calories.

Generally, to gain lean mass and strength, you'll want to consume roughly 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. Some may think that's a lot, but it's proven time and time again.

To give an example diet:

I'm 6'0 205 lbs, with avg BF levels. I eat 3,700 - 4,000 calories - 400-450g protein, 250g carbs, 100g fat.

You'll need to experiment to see what works best for YOU, but that's a good base for you to work from.

Don't listen to what the 175 lb personal trainers at the gym say, or what you read in men's health magazine, because those usually people don't have a clue. Also, the same goes for the big guys at the gym... some may know what they're talking about, but the majority are big because of their genetics and could grow off of mowing lawns, which won't help you the slightest if you have average genetics like 99.9% of us.

Eat 4-6 meals a day, calories spread as evenly as possible.

At meal time eat your protein first, then your carbs.

If you want to stay lean while bulking (the only way IMO), cut off carbs 3 hours before bed.

Of course, you will need to accompany this with hard time spent in the gym or YOU WILL GET FAT. You should lift heavy 2-3 times a week, on a low volume routine. DO NOT follow the garbage routines in the magazines (from the pros on $70k worth of steroids a year and perfect genetics) or like 99.9% of the population you will fail.

I highly recommend anyone interested in getting off the bodybuilding magazine BS to visit this site:

http://www.ironaddicts.com

That site's a goldmine of information.

Iron Addict also is a personal trainer, and has created 100's of very large, very strong people. He's been around for a long time and trains 70 some people at any one time. This guy knows what works and what doesn't for the avg joe.

Hope that helps,
Michael

PS: Don't waste your time with bodybuilding.com, that sites a joke. :thumbsdow

mslbebiz
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry to be harsh, but this is a perfect example of terrible advice:

"If ur serious about gaining weight just eating will not always do it for you if you have a fast metabolism. I saw someone above me talking about mammoth 2500. It is a good choice but you have to be sure you are on work out schedule. I talked to a trainer about this and they say the best to to bulk up and add muscle is to take a weight gainer supplement like Mammoth 2500 for 4 months. After doing this your weight should go up. However your body fat will increase because ur packing on calories (no way around this). So after 4 months use whey protein for half the time. This is the cutting stage which will lean u out so u drop most of the fat.

This is if you are serious about getting bigger and leaner. Oh and no cardio when ur in the bulking phase, but when ur cutting id hit the treadmill a couple times."

VIP_style
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
HOW TO GAIN WEIGHT:

1. THE MOST IMPORTANT THIS ABOUT GAINING WEIGHT IS YOUR DIET!!!
- Eat alot of HIGH CALORIE natural foods (fruits, veggies, lean meat, natural PB... the list goes on). What I mean by natural is nothing that has been heavily processed before it ends up on your plate, this will ensure youre not consuming garbage calories that your body will never use.
- Eat 5-6 time a day, not 2-3 like most people do. This will keep your body growing but keep your body from going into a catabolic state.
- Protein the building block for muscle growth make sure you eat some protien in every meal (supplement with shakes if you have to)!!
- Take a multivitamin every day
- Drink LOTS of water
- Snack on heathly snack foods like almonds, rasins, peanuts

2. REST!! Get 7-9 hours of sleep every night! Your body grows the most while is sleeping, if youre sleep deprived your body will not grow. Period!
- It's also a good idea to cut down on any cardio if youre trying to gain weight. A 30 min cardio workout 3 days a week is plenty to keep your heart healthy.

3. EXERCISE!!!
- DO SQUATS!!! Squats use more muscles than any other exercise, therefore your body releases more of the good muscle building hormones after a hard leg workout than any other exercise. THE MOST IMPORTANT WEIGHT GAIN EXERCISE ARE SQUATS
- DONT OVERTRAIN. Make a split and always have a day of rest in between workouts. You can actually lose weight if you workout too much, so dont!!
- Concentrate on compound exercises (ones that use more than one muscle at a time) Some good examples are: bench press, squats, deadlifts, chin-ups/lat pulldowns, rows

4. DONT DO STERIODS. Steriods do to your nuts what extacy does to your brain!! DONT FUCK WITH YOUR ENDOCRENE SYSTEM!!

I have gained all the muscle ill ever want following these steps so i know it works. If you do everything I posed here you WILL gain muscle. Its hard to eat all the time and create the balance of work/play/rest, but itll pay off in the end!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU HARD GAINERS

M_K_3
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
just seen this thread i would like to gain some weight aswell im 5' 8" lol not gunna say my weight im light but what if i dont feel like eating? anything i can do?

VIP_style
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by M_K_3
just seen this thread i would like to gain some weight aswell im 5' 8" lol not gunna say my wait im light but what if i dont feel like eating? anything i can do?

Youve got to force the food down man, if you dont feel like eating it means you dont feel like gaining muscle.

low appetite could also be a vitamin B12 deficiency, so start taking a multivitamin every day.

M_K_3
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
^ thanks man im gunna try to force it but if not ill take them multivitamins

kaput
05-24-2006, 07:52 PM

94teg
06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
what is a good multivitamin ? Centrum?

94teg
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
also anyone know a good place to buy whey supplement's online?

pinoyhero
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
www.supplementscanada.com rocks!

forced14
06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, any good suggestions on a multivitamin?

--forced

codo
06-11-2006, 06:13 PM
im the same way man 5'10- 145 pounds i lost 5 pounds in the past 4 days tho somehow but i was eating a shitload and sitting on my ass so go figure, i dunno whats going on, ive been consistently losing weight since i stopped drinking but ive been eating way more so i have no idea im thinking, weigh protein ill try.

Diesel2005
06-11-2006, 08:03 PM
So the lack of appetite is the lack of B12 vitamins?

Maybe that is why sometimes i don't feel like eating at all.

dave101
06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
if you start taking multivitamins, say centrum (which is probably what i'll be getting), do you just take it once a day? in the morning? when?

94teg
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
one a day, it will detail on the label

ediamond
06-18-2006, 10:34 PM
hey man.. if u wanna gain weight i recommend whey iso burst , its a protein supplement from GNC, i use it 15 minutes after a work out, also if you want to go heavy into the suppliments u could use mega mass or a simalar product just to get the appropriate calories etc, into you. I am also using EAS phosphagen HP creatine, and have put over 20lbs on my bench since i started using it 2 weeks ago

Diesel2005
06-19-2006, 10:38 PM
how much does this whey stuff usually cost and where can i buy it?

Walmart?

ediamond
06-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Diesel2005
how much does this whey stuff usually cost and where can i buy it?

Walmart?

I go to GNC (chinook mall, shawnessy by futureshop) to get all my protein/creatine, The Whey Iso Burst costs under $50 for a kg... If your looking to gain weight talk to the guy about their Mega Mass, it has a lot of protein and a lot of calories, etc.

You can also go popeye's supplments its on Macleaod just after Hooters, and the back alley, they have a large selection but they don't sell the whey iso burst

94teg
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ediamond

I go to GNC (chinook mall, shawnessy by futureshop) to get all my protein/creatine, The Whey Iso Burst costs under $50 for a kg... If your looking to gain weight talk to the guy about their Mega Mass, it has a lot of protein and a lot of calories, etc.

You can also go popeye's supplments its on Macleaod just after Hooters, and the back alley, they have a large selection but they don't sell the whey iso burst

Popeye's is where i got mine... Bio X Lean Mass , 51g protein, 67g of protein per serving with Milk :thumbsup:

www.canadiansupplements.com

Diesel2005
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Another question i got for you guys.

I got younger sister who is only 10yrs old and she takes these chewable kid vitamins. So the question is, can i also take these vitamins as well or is it not strong enough for me?

Maybe i should take two?

ediamond
06-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I would reccomend getting some stronger vitamins, go to GNC or popey's they have good multivitamins, you should definatley take adult vitamins though

mix123
06-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know of a multivitamin that is nicer on the stomach. Whenever I take multi vitamins my stomach kills me for like an hour.

94teg
06-25-2006, 08:34 AM
That will happen to some people, especially if you have bad eating habits..... I use Jamieson Mega Vim - Level 4 Potency... Paid $15 for 80 pills.

"My pee is neon!!" lol

bunnk
06-29-2006, 03:56 PM
hmm... Genetics huh?

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/jan312003/lp_jan312003.htm

Returning to athletic performance, it’s well known that individuals who succeed in endurance activities have a higher percentage of slow twitch muscle fibers, while those who succeed in strength activities have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers. However, research shows that about ˝ of the difference can be accounted for by genetics (the fibers that you’re born with) and ˝ of the difference can be accounted for by environment (exercise training). Therefore, while the genes certainly contribute to muscle fiber type, training (environment) can act as an equalizer, creating muscle fiber structure and function changes that can lead to athletic success.

And while not an option (or a good choice) for many readers, certain drugs and supplements can have a huge impact on phenotype. Steroids, growth hormone, IGF-1, and insulin can certainly increase muscle fiber size and muscle fiber number as well as improving nutrient partitioning. Therefore drugs too can create a powerful environment in which the genotype can produce a specific phenotype.

In the end, your genes alone cannot account for your entire phenotypic output (how you look). Rather, the environmental input (consisting of diet, exercise, supplements and drugs) interacts with the genes in a specific way. Based on the gene’s interpretation of this input, it is reflected back out, impacting the phenotype.

So upon examination of how genotype, phenotype, and environment interact, it seems that Milos may have a point. Assuming there are no serious health problems or extremely rare genetic anomalies present, with the right environment (diet, exercise, supplement, drug), perhaps almost anyone can become a pro bodybuilder – or can at least come damn close.

Wildcat
06-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by bunnk
hmm... Genetics huh?

However, research shows that about ˝ of the difference can be accounted for by genetics (the fibers that you’re born with) and ˝ of the difference can be accounted for by environment (exercise training).

perhaps almost anyone can become a pro bodybuilder – or can at least come damn close.

so... if the first statement is true then shouldnt someone with bad genetics look half as good as someone with great genetics given that all environmental factors are pushed to the max? LOL

if thats true, then yes almost anyone can become a pro bodybuilder - or at least come HALF as close. LOL :rofl:

gimme a break buddy :rolleyes:

bunnk
06-30-2006, 11:28 AM
naw man, i think its more along the lines that we control alot more about the way we look than we think. I think what Berardi was getting at is don't get bogged down until you have tried everything. Believe me, with some of the problems I have genetically I would be the first to give up on body building :dunno:

But if you want to analyse certain snippets of the whole article be my guest. Who needs optimism anyway ;)