PDA

View Full Version : Bbq Pork

Ramit!
01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to buy the best BBQ pork in the Calgary area? TIA!:)

max_boost
01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
I like the BBQ Pork from Happy Valley in Chinatown.

GQBalla
01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
are you guys talkin about CHA SEEW?

Ramit!
01-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I have no idea what CHA SEEW is? I want the BBQ pork so I can add it to my own creations? Or better yet does anyone have a BBQ pork recipe they are willing to share? TIA:)

wildrice
01-31-2005, 12:36 AM
hahaha, cha seew is soooo good

yea happy valleys got pretty good stuff

tong kee or singapore sams is pretty good too

mo_virgin
01-31-2005, 01:44 AM
Ok guys... not to be a downer. But honestly honestly... cha sui here doesn't compare to ANYTHING they have in Hong kong. Ive lived in calgary 18 years of my life and ate cha sui 16 of those years. There is just no comparison, its not like we dont have the same ingredients here in Canada, so i don't know why they dont make it the same.

Kamen
01-31-2005, 02:53 AM
It's hard to explain how it's not the same. It just isn't.
Same goes for any other kind of ethnic food they try to make. It's always better in the motherland :D
In Soviet Russia, pork barbecues you!

frozenrice
01-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
There is just no comparison, its not like we dont have the same ingredients here in Canada, so i don't know why they dont make it the same.

Because it's illegal to eat cat here.................jk!

GTS Jeff
01-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Ok guys... not to be a downer. But honestly honestly... cha sui here doesn't compare to ANYTHING they have in Hong kong. Ive lived in calgary 18 years of my life and ate cha sui 16 of those years. There is just no comparison, its not like we dont have the same ingredients here in Canada, so i don't know why they dont make it the same.

its cuz pork in hong kong tastes better. any and all pork...even the salted pork in congee is way better. for some reason the prok there is more tender and doesnt really have that blood flavoured aftertaste like the stuff here.

but for canada, id say VC has better stuff than calgary.

kiwi
01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Tong Ky in Chinatown makes the best bbq pork in the world! IMO it tastes even better than the stuff in HK! Every other place I've tried has this gross aftertaste. Tong Ky is the only place that doesn't have it! :drool: :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the owner is retiring & has sold the shop. His son runs another shop in the SE somewhere, but I've never been there before. Don't know if its the same.

CBRComet
02-01-2005, 05:56 AM
i think the pork in HK comes from china, where they are not as "modern" as in Canada; ie. the pigs are raised on farms where the pigs roam around and are fed traditional feed. in Canada pigs are raised in these huge pork factories where they are injected with hormones and antibiotics etc. to make them bigger and more disease resistant, hence they are flavorless krap.

this goes the same for chickens etc. in HK. soy sauce chicken and bbq duck is also way better in HK and china cause the animals taste like they should.

man it is worth the trip over there just to eat.

GTS Jeff
02-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by CBRComet
i think the pork in HK comes from china, where they are not as "modern" as in Canada; ie. the pigs are raised on farms where the pigs roam around and are fed traditional feed. in Canada pigs are raised in these huge pork factories where they are injected with hormones and antibiotics etc. to make them bigger and more disease resistant, hence they are flavorless krap.

this goes the same for chickens etc. in HK. soy sauce chicken and bbq duck is also way better in HK and china cause the animals taste like they should.

man it is worth the trip over there just to eat. what about beef? any beef in asia tastes terrible.

buh_buh
02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
thats cuz Alberta beef ownz

BebeAphrodite
02-02-2005, 05:02 AM
ya, beef suks in asia. there are those longhorn water buffaloes that everyone uses to pull plows, making stringy tough muscular meat. it tastes krappy and is tough. our cows are lazy and stand around and eat grain all day, making tender marbled beef. the conditions in asia, along with the shortage of grazing land makes beef production unfeasible in conmparison to canada or australia etc.

Kamen
02-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by kiwi
Tong Ky in Chinatown makes the best bbq pork in the world! IMO it tastes even better than the stuff in HK! Every other place I've tried has this gross aftertaste. Tong Ky is the only place that doesn't have it! :drool: :thumbsup:

You are nuts. HK > all

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
ya, beef suks in asia. there are those longhorn water buffaloes that everyone uses to pull plows, making stringy tough muscular meat. it tastes krappy and is tough. our cows are lazy and stand around and eat grain all day, making tender marbled beef. the conditions in asia, along with the shortage of grazing land makes beef production unfeasible in conmparison to canada or australia etc.

I can't believe you just typed that...it sounds like an entirely different person. :eek:

BebeAphrodite
02-03-2005, 03:06 AM
i don't think that's very funny

BebeAphrodite
02-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Kamen

I can't believe you just typed that...it sounds like an entirely different person. :eek:

hahaha
that's hilarious that you caught on. I hadn't even read it. It wasn't me who wrote it. And I didn't write the last post either.
hahaha
Good eye Kamen.

I don't even like BBQ pork.

DarkDream
02-03-2005, 04:05 AM
the place on centre street by lambda supermarket,( the one next to the pho place(Pho anh Nyguen hahah i am not 100 % sure thats what it is called) but anyways they have some good bbq pork

GTS Jeff
02-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kamen

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
i don't think that's very funny

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: