PDA

View Full Version : Installing Aftermarket Speakers

Speed_69
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
i dont' really have much of a clue how to install car audio speakers so i was wondering where's a good cheap place that installs speakers?
visions told me $49/pair.

the part where i'm stuck is i took out the stock speakers but want to put the new alpine type-s speakers but they dont' have a connector. do i just rip the ones off me stock ones and solder them onto the new alpines or what? any websites or tips would be helpful.

'93 SR-V
01-30-2005, 09:25 PM
generally you'll just cut the factory connections off their wires and solder the wires to the terminals of the new speakers.

streetarab
01-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
generally you'll just cut the factory connections off their wires and solder the wires to the terminals of the new speakers.
:werd: just keep the positive and negetive strait, most car companies dont use black and red, my car has dark blue, light blue, orange, and green, so yo might want to check on that

'93 SR-V
01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
try www.streetdreams.com/wires to find the wire colors for your car.

Speed_69
01-30-2005, 09:45 PM
but i have no idea how to connect them and everything. i'm sucha newbie lol
i need videos or pics

'93 SR-V
01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Well getting to the stock speakers (taking off the door panels, etc) is the hardest part. Unscrew the speaker and disconnect the wire harness. Cut the wire harness off the wire, strip the ends of the wire, and solder the wire to the connections on the stock speakers. Use the color codes on that site to tell you which wire is pos and which is neg. On the new speaker, one terminal will be bigger than the other. The bigger one is the neg.

Speed_69
01-31-2005, 12:35 AM
well i already got the door panel speaker grill off and already took out the speakers so i guess i'm pass the hardest part. so basically i just cut the wire harness off of the stock speakers and solder them onto the new speakers then finish?
is there anywhere i could borrow a soldering iron for free or for a small charge?

wildrice
01-31-2005, 12:40 AM
soldering irons are pretty cheap

decent ones range from 50-100

cman
01-31-2005, 12:52 AM
depending on the location you may not even need to solder. wire connectors may do the job. although i HIGHLY recommend soldering.
its not difficult, once you have someone show you how. but at first it is pretty confusing...good luck!

Speed_69
01-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by wildrice
soldering irons are pretty cheap

decent ones range from 50-100
:eek: holy crap! i'd rather just go to visions and have them install all four speakers then go out and buy my own soldering iron for that much which i'll only use once.

'93 SR-V
01-31-2005, 01:38 AM
yes, "good" ones may cost that much, but if you're only going to use it once or twice, go to radio shack and buy one for $10.

It looks like you're getting the idea now. So the stock harness will be gone, and the wires that were leading to it will be soldered right onto the new speaker.

AllGoNoShow
01-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Cheap soldering iron is alway shandy to have around when your dealing with car audio, especially in your first stages, you rsolders won't be strong an dwill break and you wil have to redo them, its a handy tool to have around, for $10 at RadioShack, its worth it aswel.