PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Body Part Of The Week: Chest

hockeybronx
01-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Going to do chest this week guys. From reading some posts on here it appears the chest is a tough place for many of us to see results.

Body Part 6: Chest

I don't really do anything out of the ordinary:
-bench press
-incline bench
-lat pushdowns
-flys
-incline hammer combos
-and a whole ton of pushups

Anybody have any suggestions, comments, tips, or miraculous breakthroughs for this week?

gggunit
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
^ Whats incline hammer combos?

I started doing Assisted Chest Dips.. works the lower part of the chest without getting a head rush form doing decline bench.
And Pec Dec or Cable Crossovers.. at the end to get the burn

hockeybronx
01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
^ Whats incline hammer combos?

I started doing Assisted Chest Dips.. works the lower part of the chest without getting a head rush form doing decline bench.
And Pec Dec or Cable Crossovers.. at the end to get the burn

Okay we can help each other out here! Incline hammer combos are where you are sitting on an inclined bench, and you have a dumbell in both hands. You start with your arms straight down to the floor, in your first move bring the dumbells up to your chest with an inward-palm bicep curl, and in the second move push to the dumbells straight forward like a bench press.

It might be called something else, that's just what I call them and I absolutely love that move!

What is an assisted chest dip?

B17a
01-31-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Probably a standard dip, some machines are designed to help you out (take some weight off the dip). This is a great chest and tri's workout. I don't like doing them anymore because they hurt my shoulders for some reason.

hockeybronx
01-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by B17a
Probably a standard dip

Okay well if I don't know what an assisted chest dip is, chances are I wont know what a standard dip is either.

Fortunately I found a link that could answer my question. Here it is for anybody who wants to know:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/WtChestDip.html

badseed
01-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Nothing Special:

Flat bench
DB press
Weighted Dips
DB Fly's

B17a
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM

Okay well if I don't know what an assisted chest dip is, chances are I wont know what a standard dip is either.

Fortunately I found a link that could answer my question. Here it is for anybody who wants to know:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/WtChestDip.html

Sorry dude, I didn't have time to find a link/picture for you and assumed you would be astute enough to google it, which I see you have done.:thumbsup:

BloodBaneZXY
01-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Decline Bench and Dips are similar in the manner that they both work out the lower portion of your chest, but personally I prefer weighted dips just to mix up the variation of my chest workout. There's also alot of controversy as to whether or not flies are beneficial to chest development, but I'll toss em in there anyways just in case, it's not like doing 12 sets for chest as opposed to 9 is likely to result in any overtraining anyways..

My Chest/Tri day is something like..

Flat DB 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Incline DB 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Weighted Dips 3 sets - 8+ to failure
Incline DB Flies - 3 sets x 8-10 reps
Incline Skullcrushers - 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Tricep Pulldowns - 3 sets x 8 reps

hockeybronx
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Okay I have a quick question for you guys:

I know Bench Press targets your pectorals, and your triceps. When I do it however I feel it much more in my triceps than my chest.

Is this just a case of my triceps being weaker than my chest, or is there something I can do to target the chest a little more?

DUBBED
01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
DB Bench x 4 sets
Decline DB bench x 3 sets
Cable flys x 3 sets (superset push ups)
Wide grip BB Bench x 3 sets
Incline Fly x 3 sets
Pec Deck x 3 sets

And after 2 months I'm starting to get some nice round boobs, hahaha.

DUBBED
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Is this just a case of my triceps being weaker than my chest, or is there something I can do to target the chest a little more?

If you're doing Barbell bench widen your grip. If you're doing dumbell concentrate on keeping your elbows at a 90 degree angle on the negative.

Try and concentrate on your tempo as well. 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. Don't pause at the top or bottom, if you can't do a full set like that. Lower the weight. Also at the top of a rep "pinch" your titties together and really stretch towards the roof.

bmeier
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
dubbed beat me too it.

well your triceps are weaker, but you could try a wider grip on the bar.

wider grip targets chest more
smaller grip targets triceps ( i like to put my hands together in the middle of the bar and do a a set of 8 - 10 to work out my triceps. i

BumpinTalon
01-31-2005, 09:20 PM
be glad you feel it in your triceps... they will grow really really quick if you keep it up like that. I only do benches for my chest. if you want to add a shitload to your benchpress, do pushups with your hands on either side of an exercise ball. looks gay, but it is insanely hard, try for three sets of eight. 15% on your benchpress in a month if your stabilizing muscles aren't that great. I've got 10lbs on my bench in two weeks, after a year of only going up 10lbs.