PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline shelf life?

Bonka
01-31-2005, 03:13 PM
How long does it take before pump gas goes bad?

I didn't plan to have my car sit in the garage for almost a month but the snow came...

I still have well over half a tank of 94 octane. That gas has been in there since Jan 2nd. No fuel stabilizer was added.

Any cause for concern? I typically here people during the winter months say how gas shouldn't be left unused for too long.

QuasarCav
01-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I've heard that anything over 6 months is risking it.

Jinn_SiR
01-31-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah 3-4 months is still ok...
But 6 months is pushing it

Zero102
01-31-2005, 03:25 PM
I regularily leave gas in the tank of a car for over 6 months, and I've never had a problem.

Given it's 94 octane, I'm presuming it's a relatively high performance car, so I would say 6 months is indeed pushing it.
But you should be fine for now.

heavyD
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I regularily leave gas in the tank of a car for over 6 months, and I've never had a problem.

Given it's 94 octane, I'm presuming it's a relatively high performance car, so I would say 6 months is indeed pushing it.
But you should be fine for now.

I sit my Eclipse for 6 months every year and I don't add anything and I have never had any problems. That said I leave < 1/4 tank and fill up as soon as I get it rolling again.

Bonka
01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys. For whatever reason I had presumed ~1 month; may have read it somewhere.

It's actually a family sedan with a higher compression ratio :thumbsdow

Zero102
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Hehe, I leave my subaru for 9+ months, but I as well run it waaay down before I store it, I usually take it right down to fumes, <1L if I can (it's very predictable when it will run out of gas), and where I store it, there is a gas station 3 blocks away, so I always start it up, and take it straight to the gas station. Never failed yet.

You're just peachy for 1 month, now get it back on the road, and have some fun with it.

Weapon_R
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
I always store my lawnmower for 6 months of the year, and it starts up fine :)

GTS Jeff
01-31-2005, 06:42 PM
before i park my car for 6 months, i fill up the tank all the way (less likely to get any water in the system that way) and i use fuel stabilizer.

of course, it all goes to shit cuz i end up taking my car out once every couple months haha

craigcd
01-31-2005, 06:51 PM
Hehe, I leave my subaru for 9+ months, but I as well run it waaay down before I store it, I usually take it right down to fumes, &lt;1L if I can

I didnt think it was a good idea to bring it this low. I think you can get moisture in your tank that can soon cause rust?

Might be wrong, thought i heard that somewhere.

Zero102
01-31-2005, 10:01 PM
I've heard that too, and actually last time I had to add some warm gas to defrost the gas in the tank, so this will be the last time I'm doing it....

Ichigo
02-01-2005, 03:49 PM
as long as you keep the gasoline in a cold place you can store it indefinately....
I think that 1 month numbers is for hot climates.

Xtrema
02-01-2005, 04:02 PM
My only suggestion is, (and in your case is fine), if you left summer gas in tank, don't bother try to start up in cold weather. Winter and summer gas is formulated differently. More ethanol are added to keep fuel line from freezing. So summer gas may have problem on cold days.

FiveFreshFish
02-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I always store my lawnmower for 6 months of the year, and it starts up fine :)

Ditto.

Snow blower sits even longer.

craigcd
02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I've heard that too, and actually last time I had to add some warm gas to defrost the gas in the tank, so this will be the last time I'm doing it....

Warm gas... lol

How did you heat it??:eek:

oddjob
02-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by craigcd

Warm gas... lol

How did you heat it??:eek:

Boiled it :rofl: