PDA

View Full Version : tech help

shay
01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
hello every one i have a few isues with my mr2 and i was wondering if any one knows the best tech or best place to take it to get fixed. im more woried about the dieignostic part i can get some one to turn a wrench. but who knows most about these cars. i hurd a few guys around town talking about a mr2 master tech i was wondering if anyone knows him please help
oh and its a 91 turbo . i just dont want to take it to a dealership and end up fixing 3 things to get one thing fixed.

jvillain
01-31-2005, 10:43 PM
No don't take it to a dealer. The only one I trust is myself.

What is it doing? Maybe we can help you out.

dj_Twin_turbo
02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
I believe all Toyota dealers have at least one Master Technician.

jvillain, shay obviously doesn't do the work on his own - or else he wouldn't be asking.

A Toyota dealer is THE best place to take your MR2 if you don't already have someone better lined up. Most just have dealer-fright for some reason, many are sure they're going to get ripped off.

If there's any one place who has all of the tools, all of the literature, has worked on the most cars related to your MR2 and access to the best tech. support, it is you dealer. Canyon, and Ens, are they out there ?

shay
02-01-2005, 01:10 AM
thanks guys well i know i will get riped off at a dealer they will charge me for hours of dieignostics

SPooLiN
02-01-2005, 10:38 AM
so whats wrong with it?

dj_Twin_turbo
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Isn't diagnostics what you need help with ?

I can't see a dealer just ripping you off without making an honest attempt at finding the problem.

Originally posted by shay
thanks guys well i know i will get riped off at a dealer they will charge me for hours of dieignostics

shay
02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
just a few weard noices
like a weard poping noise when i change betwen first and second and when i start like when i releace the cluch. and some rattel between 2500 -3000 rpm and also when im driveing a scrapeing noice between the same rpms.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Hmm sounds like you have an exhaust leak if there is a popping noise. The rattling noise is most likely your exhaust system or heat shielf rattling on something. Should be too hard for a shop to confirm once the get it on a hoist.

jvillain
02-01-2005, 11:00 PM
A Toyota dealer is THE best place to take your MR2 if you don't already have someone better lined up. Most just have dealer-fright for some reason, many are sure they're going to get ripped off.

I asked the head mechanic at a south end Toyota dealership about an oil preasure problem I was having. He told me that when they had cars that came in with low oil preasure they usually just tried to find a less sensive preasure sender unit. Ouch.

I can give you story after story after story like that. I really couldn't give a damn what they were gonna charge me as long as I knew that they were gonna do the job right. I have talked to a couple of Toyota Mechanics that were really good but for the most part they aren't.

Don't think that taking your Toyota MR2 to a Toyota dealer is gonna be much better than any other shop because very few Toyota mechanics have ever actually worked on an MR2.

For the rattling noises is the rattle coming from the engine compartment? If so I would start by checking the heat sheilds around the turbo and exhaust. When it is running rev it out till it makes the noise and then take a long screw driver and just press on the various heat sheilds. If it goes quiet when you press on one then you need to tighten the bolts for it. If that isn't it let us know and we will suggest some more.

By a popping noise is it more like a ticking (exaust) or some thing else? Can you better identify where it is coming from?

If you absoluty have to take your car some where I would suggest Trio Motors in the northeast.

dj_Twin_turbo
02-02-2005, 12:37 AM
I agree that most Toyota mechanics probably haven't worked on an MR2. However, it is more likely that they have, over Joe Blow at the garage on the corner. In addition, he MR2 does share a lot of things with other Toyota, engines, systems, and electronics. Everyone has horror stories, but I still think when all else fails, take it to the guy that sold the car in the first place.

shay
02-02-2005, 01:00 AM
thanks for all the help guys im not driveing my car right now anywya as i store in for winter. but ill try a few things with the noise and i have a friend the pointed me in the right place to take my car any way. its not so much i dont trust toyota techs because i know they have some very good ones and a head tech would know ,its just that toyota also charges 90$ an hour and they told me it would brobley be at leat one hour just to figure it out so i mean $100 min and they may not find the problem.