PDA

View Full Version : Wireless USB Adapter or Wireless PCI Card

Euro838
01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference functionally, i.e. speed, range, etc between a Wireless USB adapter like the Dlink G122 or get the PCI version? I'm speaking specifically about the wireless G versions.

Right now I'm leaning towards the wireless USB because I can then just plug it into a laptop or something if I need to, but am I losing anything performance-wise by not going PCI?

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Khyron
01-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference functionally, i.e. speed, range, etc between a Wireless USB adapter like the Dlink G122 or get the PCI version? I'm speaking specifically about the wireless G versions.

Right now I'm leaning towards the wireless USB because I can then just plug it into a laptop or something if I need to, but am I losing anything performance-wise by not going PCI?

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

USB 2 is faster than any wireless connection so it shouldn't cause an issue, other than wasting a USB port (which is fine if you'll use it with the laptop).

Someone please chime in if I'm mistaken.

Khyron

lint
01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

USB 2 is faster than any wireless connection so it shouldn't cause an issue, other than wasting a USB port (which is fine if you'll use it with the laptop).

Someone please chime in if I'm mistaken.

Khyron

Yup, if you have a spare USB port, go for it. The only other downside that I can see for a laptop is that you have to be a little more careful with a usb adapter sticking out. Don't want to snap that thing off accidentally.