PDA

View Full Version : 88 supra turbo or 90 talon tsi awd?

jesse
01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
what do u think. which one should i buy?

3G
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
why the hell is this is street encounters?

SpeedStar
01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
I think this falls moe under teh "general car talk" forums as opposed to "street encounters"
(Go for the Talon)

A_3
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
General forum for sure. Depends what you're looking for. I'm a fan of DSM's despite there problems, alot of options for relatively cheap.

Skylinelover
01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Depends I can get you a cheap 90 talon tsi.

talonboi
01-31-2005, 10:20 PM
im pretty sure in performance wise, the talon and the 87+ supra's r pretty close in a 1/4mile race...the supra's, sumthing wrong either with the head gasket, or the torque setting of the head bolts, performace parts are not cheap...

talons is a car that comes with a punch at a cheap price, and u can also drive them all year round. but the talon has sooo many problems...u gotta be a baller to keep this car running. if u dont have the extra cash to fix and "soup up" this car dont bother
1990-1992 (i think) timing belts and balace shafts are a nightmare

1992+ the 7bolt motors might crank walk on you.

as for my talon, nice, and quick, i drive my talon all year round, also as i fix it all year around...i spend more time under the car then driving it...:bigpimp:

3G
01-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
im pretty sure in performance wise, the talon and the 87+ supra's r pretty close in a 1/4mile race...the supra's, sumthing wrong either with the head gasket, or the torque setting of the head bolts, performace parts are not cheap...

talons is a car that comes with a punch at a cheap price, and u can also drive them all year round. but the talon has sooo many problems...u gotta be a baller to keep this car running. if u dont have the extra cash to fix and "soup up" this car dont bother
1990-1992 (i think) timing belts and balace shafts are a nightmare

1992+ the 7bolt motors might crank walk on you.

as for my talon, nice, and quick, i drive my talon all year round, also as i fix it all year around...i spend more time under the car then driving it...:bigpimp:

what's crankwalk? :confused:

CryoCarnage
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Crankwalk is pretty much When something is spinning freely inside your engine. YOur car probably has it when your clutch doesn't work like, like it's slipping. And get the Supra. eagle Talon's are bitches to fix. If you can spend a little more cahs,. swap a 1Jz-GTE into the supra, 276 HP and i think 260 torque. :thumbsup:

SteveMo600
01-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Definitely go for the supra...I have a couple buddy's that own 89' and 90' Supra's and they couldn't be happier. Sounds like the Talon's are high maintenance vehicles.

talonboi
02-01-2005, 01:06 AM
^^^:werd:
talons are high maintenance but still would beat a 89 turbo'd supra:D

jesse
02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
how are they high maintenance. do they break that often. is it usally minor or is it major parts that break. what are some common problems. and how much do they cost to fix

CryoCarnage
02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
WIth talons, there are always constant problems with them. So far the only Noticable problem that happened with Supra's are blown head gaskets. I don't know about the problems in Talons as i have never owned one but i have owned a 90 Supra and it was big pimpin'.:bigpimp:

statick
02-01-2005, 08:18 PM
i sed it before i'll say it again, go for a awd tsi talon.

PS - please don't make 2 threads about the same thing.

90Tegra
02-01-2005, 08:26 PM
i'd go for the supra in a heartbeat btw how many km on the supra ur lookin at?

jesse
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
about 165 on both cars

CryoCarnage
02-02-2005, 08:15 PM
The talons chasssis wont take it :rofl: :nut:
Nah it would but i wouldnt expect it to last long...

talonboi
02-02-2005, 10:34 PM
if u get the supra, be prepared to get a winter beater :thumbsup:

habsfan
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
if u get the supra, be prepared to get a winter beater :thumbsup:

you know, you dont need awd in the winter, it just helps. a supra could be driven in the winter. just get good winter tires and sandbags in the trunk. too many people these days are too scared to drive their cars in the winter

talonboi
02-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

you know, you dont need awd in the winter, it just helps. a supra could be driven in the winter. just get good winter tires and sandbags in the trunk. too many people these days are too scared to drive their cars in the winter

its still a pain in the ass, u gotta mount new winter tires, put sand bags in ur car, and i didnt say u need awd in winter, front wheel drive is also good in winter, better then rwd...
from the sounds of it, hes looking for a car to mod, if u mod a supra with performance parts it'll be even harder to drive in winter, and i dont think u would want to...

personally i'd get a supra, its more reliable, less headache

hell, if i had money, i;d get a supra for summer and a talon for winter:thumbsup:

Jaxx
02-06-2005, 04:52 PM
i can't count the number of times i got my Supra stuck on hills in the snow. Whatever you do, dont stop!

CelicaST-162
02-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Jaxx
i can't count the number of times i got my Supra stuck on hills in the snow. Whatever you do, dont stop!

What year Supra do you have? Color?.....just wondering