PDA

View Full Version : How to lose five pounds?

Carfanman
01-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have any tips on how I can lose just 5 pounds?
I need to lose more than that, but so far Ive just been steadily gaining, and its very hard for me to say I have to lose [big number] pounds, when I havent lost any yet, so I want to just start with 5. Any advice from people who have done it?

pixil9
01-31-2005, 08:48 PM
stop eating for a week.

marq-jt
01-31-2005, 08:50 PM
stop eating... only eat peanut butter jam sandwich... for one week u will notice the difference... lol and do some excersices...
eat 2 or 3 danswish a day...

may not be good for you but i mean u will lose weight...

i lost 3.5 pounds only eating bread and did some exercise....
but thats just me...

or if you dont like that why not run a km eveyr morning

Weapon_R
01-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Spa lady has a cabbage soup recipe that you can eat as much as you want and not gain any weight. Do a search on the intarnet and find it, you can eat as much as you want and not worry.

Carfanman
01-31-2005, 08:51 PM
I forgot to add... How can I do it healthy?

buh_buh
01-31-2005, 08:54 PM
take a big shit!
but seriously, just eat til your "not hungry" instead of full, and do cardio.

gggunit
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Cardio, Ephedrine, Caffiene, Asprin.. ECA Stack
Cardio
and more Cardio

Why you only wanna lose 5pnds

Carfanman
01-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
Why you only wanna lose 5pnds

Originally posted by Carfanman
I need to lose more than that, but so far Ive just been steadily gaining, and its very hard for me to say I have to lose [big number] pounds, when I havent lost any yet, so I want to just start with 5.

davidI
01-31-2005, 10:47 PM
lol, lots of bad advice in this thread.

Don't stop eating. Don't do an ECA stack. Don't only eat bread or only eat protein.

The best way to lose weight is to cut back on your calorie intake, maintain a balanced diet (eating 6 small meals a day), excercising a lot (cardio and weights) and drinking lots and lots of water. Don't so much go by the scale as how you feel and look. I could lose 10 pounds by taking a shit and a piss! I could also gain 10 pounds by drinking lots of water and eating a bunch but I wouldn't look any bigger, just bloated!

Aim for 1500-2000 calories a day with food like rice, tuna, chicken, lean beef, pasta and lots of veggies. Spread it over 6 meals (they'll be small meals) and you'll lose weight.

If you're just trying to look better then I'd suggest not cutting back on calories that much and instead maintain 2500 calories a day and do lots of weight lifting. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn while you're sitting and sleeping.

Carfanman
01-31-2005, 11:21 PM
If Im only 14 should I have less than 2000 calories a day?

SteveMo600
01-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Just cut out the obvious shitty foods...don't drink any pop and avoid eating fast food. Not only will this make you healthier...but it'll also help you lose a little bit of weight.

Weapon_R
01-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Cabbage Soup Recipe

6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
3 Carrots
1 Container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms
1 bunch of celery
half a head of cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
Directions:

Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.

Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.

Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.

Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.

Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.

If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.

You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.

Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Dave P
01-31-2005, 11:47 PM
How many servings is that?

Carfanman
01-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Will it help if I get drunk and barf up all my weight?

Lol jk although I would recomend this for someone who want to lose weight fast no matter how unhealthy

fast95pony
01-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Try drinking water instead of pop, fruit instead of chips,salad instead of french fries. Try walking as an exercise. Even one kilometre every other day will help. Eating healthy and exercise is the key.

Are you 14 ?? What do you normally eat each day ?? What do you do for exercise ?? Perhaps your parents can help you ??
Perhaps talk to your mom and tell her what you want to do.Maybe she will buy more healthy food ?? :dunno:
I'm sure you family would help.

If you don't want to post here , you can pm me . I'm not an expert at all, but I have lost some weight, and I would like to help you.

It does take willpower.But once you start seeing the results,it's quite a powerful motive.
Lastly you body weight does fluctuate quite a bit. My weight can go up and down by 5 lbs in a day. I started recording my weight each day.You might not see much change in a week,but after a month,you will definately see a change.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Alan

cman
02-01-2005, 12:06 AM
hit up a sauna...on that note anyone watch ultimate fighter tonight?
20 pounds in 26 hours!!!:eek:

hockeybronx
02-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by cman
hit up a sauna...on that note anyone watch ultimate fighter tonight?
20 pounds in 26 hours!!!:eek:

I was just going to post about this!

I couldn't believe it man, especially in the end when he had to lose 3 pounds in 2 hours. You could tell all along that the white guy was absolutely scared out of his mind.

Carfanman, it's all about committment and dedication. If you really want to lose the weight you can. If you want to lose it in a healthy manner, start doing 30 minutes of exercise everyday, drink 3-5 litres per day and spread your meals into frequent small meals throughout the day.

Seanith
02-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Whats the significance of smaller meals in greater numbers opposed to regular meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)?

badseed
02-01-2005, 12:53 AM
It keeps your metabolism up throughout the day instead of just after meals. Your metabolism is at it's highest 1 hour after you eat, therefore smaller meals more frequently will keep your metabolism elevated throughout the duration of the day.:thumbsup:

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Thansk for the tips guys.
fast95pony: for the most part I do eat healthy. My mom is an alternative medicine health food nut so we never have pop unless its a special occasion and almost never have chips.
However I just end up eating lots of bread, or ice cream (which is one of the few unhealthy things she gets.)

As for exersice, I usually get it from my karate class, which is a heavy work out thats 2 times monday and wednsday and once tuesday thursday and friday. Its actually a very good workout, but Im not good at going every day, I usually make it only twice a week.

I started gaining weight when I was about 8 or nine, and I havent stopped scince.

JeremyD
02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Losing weight is a bit of a misnomer. You are still growing so you should weigh more than you did when you were 8. Since you are only 14 I wouldn't recommend calorie limiting diets. You need calories to grow properly. Maybe you aren't eating enough and have gone into starvation mode. You will start gaining fat when you are like this. Keep a journal of what you eat everyday. It might help if you posted what you ate yesterday or today for us to look at. Your mom might be a health food nut but (and i am guessing) there are a lot of "health foods" that are less than healthy. Or maybe you just aren't getting enough of the right stuff that you need.

Other than that: (like others have suggested)

- Drink water at least a gallon a day. Like everything else work up to it.
- Eat 5-6 times a day instead of just 3.
- Work your way up to going to Karate everyday or find something else that is good cardio to do.
- Maybe look at doing a weight program. Just remember to start off really light to avoid injury.

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks.
I know that I should be heavier than I was at 8, but 8 was when I started gaining. Right now I weigh a little more than my dad, who is healthy and about 6 inches taller than me.

Khyron
02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't be looking at a scale if I was you. Just look in the mirror - are you getting fat? What's your waist size? If not, don't worry about it as weight is muscle mass, bone density, water retention etc.

Kids shouldn't need to diet if they are not abusing the junk food and are moderately active (which it sounds like you are).

Khyron

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
No. Im actually really fat. I have muscle but It doesnt show because of my fat. If I keep going at the rate I am, in a few years Ill go from "overwieght" to "obese".

Wildcat
02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
kid, your only 14?? what are you worrying about? you shouldnt even be thinking about weight training let alone dieting until about your senior year of highschool.

Khyron
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Hrm yah that sounds pretty bad. Post what you eat with guestimate quantity (half-plate, full bowl) for an average day. Either you are eating a shitload of something you think is healthy but it's not, or you might be one of those people who simply has a much harder time keeping weight off.

Of course you're still really young so I wouldn't worry about it too much - your metabolism might still go crazy when you hit 16-17.

Khyron

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I dont really have an average diet.
Today:
2 liters of water
1 bowl of ice cream
apple
4 egg omelet
I think thatsit so far

Exersize, just some stretching

EDIT:
Had a cup of OJ
Halfway through my third liter of water

Did 20 min of cardio

I find myself more motivated now that Im posting what Im doing on here.
If other people are seeing what Im doing then I dont want to seem like a lazy pig.

JeremyD
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Take a look at www.fitday.com and start tracking your food intake through there. If you are at or near computer whenever you eat immediately update it or use a small notepad. Doesn't matter what you eat. Even if you grab a grape walking through the kitchen record it.

By tracking what you are eating you can see what you are missing and what you are getting too much of.

the ice cream (based on regular chocolate) per 1 cup

Protein: 4.92g
Fat: 12.98g
Carbs: 37.04g
Fiber: 1.04

The omelet per large egg used

Protein: 6.3
Fat: 6.98
carbs: 0.634g
fiber: 0

apple (med 3 per lb)

Protein: 0.262
Fat:0.497
Carbs:21.05g
Fiber:3.73

Just based on this and you are more than half way through the day. You aren't eating anywhere near enough. You should probably have triple what you have eaten here (well not triple the ice cream). Your protein intake is too low and so is your fiber.
a pro 40/carb 40/fat 20 split might be better for you. Hard to say. I gotta run to class otherwise I would elaborate more. But definitely track what you are eating. YOu will be surprised at what you find.

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow, great site, thanks!

According to that I need to lose just under 2 pounds in order to reach my goal.

How can I do that?

edit: 2 pounds a week I meant

fast95pony
02-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Have you talked to your family doctor about your concerns ??
He/she should be able to help you.
I think it's great you're at least thinking about your fitness.I didn't and became a frickin Teletubby !! :rolleyes:

Good luck dude. Keep us updated.

:thumbsup:

Seanith
02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
first of all i'd say start having 2 egg omelettes instead of 4. 2 is more than sufficient!

Tyler883
02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
If you are starting a cardio program, and at least trying some sort of improvement in your diet, you will ussually loose weight for the first while before your diet becomes more important...

so start exercising, as much as possible

Tyler883
02-01-2005, 06:33 PM
take a big gulp cup an fill it with water each day for a week

double big gulp is even better idea

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
What can I have for protein besides meat?

davidI
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
What can I have for protein besides meat?

The best sources are eggs, chicken, nuts, lean beef, tuna.

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
What kind of nuts?

FlySi
02-01-2005, 07:55 PM
What kind of nuts?

the ones on your chin

Seanith
02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
haha chin nuts :rofl:

back to the topic at hand heh..

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Heres a menu I put together.
Its five meals

Meal 1:
Eggs
Orange
Quaker instant oatmeal
Grape fruit

Meal 2:
Yogurt
Apple
Celery w/ Peanut Butter

Meal 3:
Grilled Cheese
Orange
Cucumber

Meal 4:
Fish
Whole-wheat pancake
Dark lettuce

Meal 5:
Chicken Breast
Corn

And here are the protien carbs fat and calories

Order:
calories, fat, carbs, protien

Egg, whole, baked, fat added in cooking 517 42 3 30
Orange, raw 123 0 31 2
Cereals, QUAKER, oatmeal, instant, with apples and cinnamon, dry 257 3 54 7
Grapefruit, raw 82 0 21 2
Yogurt, fruit variety, lowfat milk 250 3 47 11
Celery, raw 32 0 7 2
Peanut butter 285 24 9 12
Bread, whole wheat, 100% 138 2 26 5
Cheese, Mozzarella, part skim 316 19 4 31
Cucumber, raw 48 1 10 2
Flounder, baked or broiled 520 17 1 86
Pancakes, whole wheat 48 2 6 2
Lettuce, raw 8 0 1 1
Chicken, breast, with or without bone, roasted, skin eaten 166 7 0 25
Corn, raw 77 1 17 3
Totals 2867 122 237 220

ITs got a ton of calories but it looks pretty helpful, any suggestions?

Carfanman
02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
If I also burn 1075 calories plus however many I burn stationary, is the calorie intake ok then?:

MAke that 3342 calories, in which case Im losing weight.
Now if only I can stick to my plan, for both eating and exersizing.

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Just had meal one-
3 egg omellete
grapefruit (no oranges so Ill buy them later and have one when I'm supposed to have grapefruit)
oatmeal

Now Im going to go on my rowing machine while I watch a movie for 20 min

JeremyD
02-02-2005, 10:39 AM
It looks to be a fairly good start. One thing Fitday doesn't track directly is fiber intake. You want to be around the 30g mark (or more). I think you will be close on this menu but you will want to check to be sure.

Fiber helps towards weight loss more than a reduction of calories do as it helps promote burning fat instead of storing it.

here is a breakfast I often use.

1 cup cheese curd
1/2 cup yogurt - any flavor (I use low fat stirred strawberry)
1/2 cup All Bran Bud cereal.

Protein: 49g
Carbs: 65.7
fat: 3.25g
fiber:18g

Takes me a little while to eat but it is fairly clean and filling. It is also fairly portable. A 500ml cottage cheese container will hold it all. I use empty yogurt containers.

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Meal 2-
1 cup Yogurt
Apple
Celery w/ PB.

I was looking at the lable on the PB jar, never realized how g-ddammn healthy that stuff is, it has a ton of (good) fat and then a ton of protien, and hardly any carbs or sugar.

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Meal 3-
1 slice of bread w/ PB
Carrot

Tyler883
02-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
Whats the significance of smaller meals in greater numbers opposed to regular meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)?

For people trying to lose wieght, it regulates your blood levels and insulin levels better. You won't feel the lows from low blood sugar, and you won't store the fat as easily as you can if your insulin levels are high.

For people trying to build muscle, you can absorb more protien if it is spread out through the whole day.

Experts can't agree on the exact number, but sources like the Joe Wieder encyclopedia of body building states that each person has a limited ability to absorb protien from a single meal( possibly 15-30 grams). If you eat a meal that has excess protiens( relative to the individual), you are likely wasting you money.

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, Ive eaten pretty healthy today, although I only lost about 500 calories, whereas my goal is 1000 a day, but at least I ate healthy, so I am Improving.

I changed my meal plan, less food, less starch, mostly fruits and vegatables.

Meal 1:
Eggs
Orange
Yogurt

Meal 2:
Apple
Celery w/ Peanut Butter

Meal 3:
Grilled Cheese
Cucumber

Meal 4:
Orange
Dark lettuce

Meal 5:
Fish
Chicken Breast

If I stick to this tomorow, row, and go to karate (which I did today also) I should definetly lose my 1000 calories, Maybe more, In which case Ill need to eat more if I dont feel well, but well see.

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
take a big siht!

Holy mother of god....
I actually did, and you were right, I literally lost five pounds.

(just to see if It would make a difference I weighed myself right before and right after)

Im trying to lose 5 pounds in the sence that one morning Im five pounds lighter than the morning that I started, no t throughout teh course of the day

Khyron
02-02-2005, 10:42 PM
To put it in perspective, 400 calories is about an hour of hard cardio. So setting a goal of 1000 deficit is probably shooting a bit high IMO.

Also don't weigh yourself too often. Your body weight fluctuates a lot during the day (not just from shitting), and day to day. Weekly weigh-ins, at the same time of day is best. But whats even better is going by waist/bicept/chest measurements. :D

Khyron

Carfanman
02-02-2005, 11:06 PM
"Weekly weigh-ins, at the same time of day is best."

Even though I am weighing myself alot, the weekly ones are the ones Ill pay attention to

Wildcat
02-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, Ive eaten pretty healthy today, although I only lost about 500 calories, whereas my goal is 1000 a day, but at least I ate healthy, so I am Improving.

I changed my meal plan, less food, less starch, mostly fruits and vegatables.

Meal 1:
Eggs
Orange
Yogurt

Meal 2:
Apple
Celery w/ Peanut Butter

Meal 3:
Grilled Cheese
Cucumber

Meal 4:
Orange
Dark lettuce

Meal 5:
Fish
Chicken Breast

If I stick to this tomorow, row, and go to karate (which I did today also) I should definetly lose my 1000 calories, Maybe more, In which case Ill need to eat more if I dont feel well, but well see.

if i ate that much a day id shrivel up to nothing. good luck on your diet man, but like i said if your only 14 its good to eat healthy but dieting is not for you.

JeremyD
02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Right. There is more to losing fat than creating a caloric deficit. To start I wouldn't worry terribly about the calorie intake. Just start eating clean and healthy foods 5-6 times a day. Also drink a shit load of water. Combine that with Karate and increase your activity level and you will start shedding the fat.

Ditch the scale. At most use it once a month if you really feel the need to. Get a measuring tape like seamstresses use it instead. The scale can't tell you if you are losing fat or muscle. I find when I am following a healthier diet my weight increases but my waist decreases and which is all that really matters to me.

It also helps to take pictures once a month and compare them. It is easier to get an idea of your progress. When you look in the mirror on a daily basis you don't necessarily see the results of your efforts.

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I'll probably end up eating more than I said on there, It's just a guidline for me. Also, if I eat 500 calories less than usual and burn 500 calories more than I usually eat, Ill lose 1000 calories a day, and still not be eating that little.

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Meal 1:
Eggs
Orange
Quaker instant oatmeal

Next meal gonna be around 12:00 (my time)

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 12:22 PM
What kind of foods have no carbs but lots of protein and fiber?

Tyler883
02-03-2005, 01:09 PM
my pt tells me to never eat less calories than my body burns if I sit on my ass all day.

if I could hit this number everyday, I could be causing a slight calorie deficet without exercising. But, it also puts me in a good position to benfit from all of my workouts and cardio.

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
my pt tells me to never eat less calories than my body burns if I sit on my ass all day.

I dont think I am, I have a pretty low metabolism

Meal 2 btw-

Orange
Celery w/ PB

Then 30 min. of rowing

Tyler883
02-03-2005, 01:15 PM
What kind of foods have no carbs but lots of protein and fiber?

The protien foods I use alot are:
boneless skinless chicken breast
lean ground beef ( too high in fat)
tuna
non-fat or light cottage cheese
protien powder
eggs

As far as fiber goes, I don't know, still learning about this stuff.

Tyler883
02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I know that bran is high in fiber, but how about carrots? apples? brocolli? Do they have lots of fiber too?

Potatoes are often viewed as a starchy food like pasta, but do potatoes have fiber?

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Meal 3

Slice of bread
Milk
30 crackers (serving size 15) (health crackers)
2 small cucumbers

Carfanman
02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Meal 4
Orange
Dark lettuce

Meal 5
Grilled cheese

Karate

Audio_Rookie
02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Your only 14...the age when almost all tenagers gain some weight. You will then grow and lose much of that fatness withing the next 2-3 years. Im 17...same thing happened to me..... and im now tall (6'1) and im in pretty good shape figuring I dont eat all that healthy (drink lots of coke...like 7-8 cans a day :eek: ). Eat healthier, but dont kill yourself over working out.

Personal opinion.......

Carfanman
02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
^yeah but Im not just chubby and it didnt just happen, alot of the teenagers who are skinny even though they eat tons of crap also are very active, Im not that active and Im trying to get more active, and Im trying to speen up the process by eating healthy.

Ive never been in good shape, when I was really young, I was to skinny, and then I was too fat, so being lean and muscular is like a dream to me, and one that I hope to make true.

Wildcat
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
^i wouldnt even consider a four-"teen" year old a teenager. kid... seriously you should be eating whatever whenever you want. dieting is nothing more than depriving your body from things it wants and you probly have one or two more growth spurts to go through. christ you just hit puberty a couple years ago. why the hell is a 14 year old boy so concerned with what he looks like? Your body and bone structure will be totally different in less than 2 years time so what are you worried about? and to be honest i think your doing more harm than good. and dont hit the weights yet either, you'll stunt your growth, im not even kidding.

Heres my closing words of wisdom: "STFU and be a kid, take it for what it is and live it while it lasts". seriously. its a sad fucking day in the world when a 14 year old is wrapped up in his self image.

:drama:

Carfanman
02-04-2005, 01:23 PM
^I dont think you fully understand what Im doing, im not starving myself, When what I posted isnt enough, I eat more, but whats so bad about eating healthy and exersizing, no matter what age you are? And Im not obsessed with my self image, but its not exactly great for confidence. And I only lifted for like a month.

Tyler883
02-04-2005, 01:36 PM
being active, working out, eating better are good things

but here's a warning: if you start starving yourself, you'll screw yourself up even worse than you are now

here's another warning: it's quite likely that when you are 30 you will love to look like you do now. So make sure you don't beat yourself up about your current looks. It will only make things worse for you in the future

Carfanman
02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Im going to stop keeping track of everything I eat because its annoying. Im just going to make an effort to make sure what Im eating is healthy and also go to karate almost every day. I figure if I do this for 2 months strait Ill be alot healthier and fitter.

Tyler883
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
try reading labels along the way.

and start considering how you might be able to make your favorite meals balanced while still keeping them as favorite meals..our body needs all three nutrients(fat, protien,carbs)

(My mistake is when I think that I'm eating healthy, I might have a meal that is totally fat free, or it might be a healthy salad that doesn't have 15-30 grams of protien in it.)

Khyron
02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Heres my closing words of wisdom: "STFU and be a kid, take it for what it is and live it while it lasts". seriously. its a sad fucking day in the world when a 14 year old is wrapped up in his self image. :drama:

Just because you're a kid doesn't mean you don't have to watch what you eat. Sure, counting calories and going on Atkins isn't recommended, but there's so much more accessable junk food now, and kids are far less active. "Just be a kid" doesn't qualify when you're obese!

Don't go to extremes (Arkins, starving, etc) but if you're feeling chunky maybe cut back on the pop, and knock off the nacho chips.

Khyron