PDA

View Full Version : No More Late Fees @ BlockBuster

GucciBoy
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
As of yesterday, BlockBuster retail stores will not be charging late fees on all rentals! You can keep the games/movies for 7 days on top of the allowed time, but if you pass the 7 days they will charge it as a sale (minus the rent fee) to your credit card. This hasn’t been confirmed at all stores, so be sure to ask before renting.

finboy
01-31-2005, 10:08 PM
hmmm, i hope rogers video does the same

rockym20
01-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Ya, but did you notice that they upped the prices at the same time. Its now over $5 (including tax) to rent a movie. It is going to suck trying to get a movie too. I don't think it was such a great deal for the consumer (us).

jaysas_63
01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by rockym20
Ya, but did you notice that they upped the prices at the same time. Its now over $5 (including tax) to rent a movie. It is going to suck trying to get a movie too. I don't think it was such a great deal for the consumer (us).

i'm pretty sure a hot new realease from blockbuster (at least the ones on 17th ave) were always over 5...

Gspotracer
02-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

i'm pretty sure a hot new realease from blockbuster (at least the ones on 17th ave) were always over 5...

yeah, $5.34 at my blockbuster

DuPont
02-01-2005, 12:09 AM
What do you think they'll do with late charges still on my account?

7thgenvic
02-01-2005, 12:10 AM
i don't like the idea at all!
if you don't return the movie you end up paying a shitload for the movie like 28Bux! thanks but no thanks
if someone knows more about this deal plz post how it will really work!

cman
02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
one of my close friends works at a blockbuster, ill let you know tomorrow...or you could always look it up

Skyline_Addict
02-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
i don't like the idea at all!
if you don't return the movie you end up paying a shitload for the movie like 28Bux! thanks but no thanks
if someone knows more about this deal plz post how it will really work!

well, if you are 7 days late to return the movie, i think it'll end up being around the same price (in late fees) as just buying the movie anyway...except this time, you get to keep it!

Xtrema
02-01-2005, 08:13 AM
No every BB have this service. Only HQ owned stores.

Rental fee can be set differently @ different location based on competition in the area.

For this no late fee deal, it's sorta a response to government lawsuit about legality of penalizing customers.

It works like this:

Rent and you have 7 days to return it.

Fail to return it, price of DVD will be charged to your account (full price on new, used price on old).

Return it after 7 days and before 30 days, you'll get credited the purchase price, minus $1.75 restocking fee.

Keep it beyond 30 days means you own it permanently.

So, that mean you can keep a DVD for 30 days (god knows why) for rental fee + $1.75.

On the other hand, this may come it handy for game rentals.

finboy
02-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
No every BB have this service. Only HQ owned stores.

Rental fee can be set differently @ different location based on competition in the area.

For this no late fee deal, it's sorta a response to government lawsuit about legality of penalizing customers.

It works like this:

Rent and you have 7 days to return it.

Fail to return it, price of DVD will be charged to your account (full price on new, used price on old).

Return it after 7 days and before 30 days, you'll get credited the purchase price, minus $1.75 restocking fee.

Keep it beyond 30 days means you own it permanently.

So, that mean you can keep a DVD for 30 days (god knows why) for rental fee + $1.75.

hahaha, off topic but your sig rocks, every time i see that video it never gets old :rofl:

k_dawg
02-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by DuPont

I too would like to know the details regarding the late fees already on the accounts

GucciBoy
02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Xtrema, god love that signature LMAO, cant stop watching the dude get his head crushed like a marshmallow LOL, just the sound.

Melinda
02-01-2005, 11:09 AM
When you go to rent a video you have to pay the remainder of your late fees before you can rent another movie...alot of people got notices in the mail about their outstanding balance

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

so will this new rule actually be in place for games too, or is it just for the movies?

because if they want to do this for the games to, they will need to buy WAY more copies of games....

Marsh
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DuPont
You'll still have to pay them, they won't be waived.

googe
02-01-2005, 12:52 PM
got this in my email

BLOCKBUSTER? announces the end of late fees.

We promised you MORE and it?s here right now: No Late Fees means MORE time to enjoy your entertainment from BLOCKBUSTER
and way less stress.

Under the new No Late Fees policy, rental terms and due dates remain basically the same: two-nights for the hottest new
releases and a full week for other new releases and favourite titles. What we've eliminated is the stress involved with
rushing to return a movie or game when you're not ready. So, if your plans change, and you don't have time to enjoy your
movie or game, or return it on time...relax. Take an extra day or two.

Here's how it works:
Any movie or game you rent will still have a due date. However, if you need to keep the product an extra day or two, you
can. In fact, you?ll have up to a one-week?s grace period to return it at no additional charge. At that point, if you
want to keep the movie or game, BLOCKBUSTER will automatically sell it to you, less the rental fee. But if you decide
you don?t want to own the movie or game, then simply return it within 30 days for a full credit to your account, less a
minimal restocking fee.

BumpinTalon
02-01-2005, 01:33 PM
so basically, they are going to have a devil of a time keeping shit in stock. you won't be able to get older games anymore because people will be keeping thme, so on so forth. nice idea though, it'd be a great way to gt new movies that sell out very quickly.

SteveMo600
02-01-2005, 02:20 PM
What the deal if a person takes out an older movie that Blockbuster only has 1 copy of and ends up keeping it. They'll have to restock and find that movie again or will they just go without that movie?

Xtrema
02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
so will this new rule actually be in place for games too, or is it just for the movies?

because if they want to do this for the games to, they will need to buy WAY more copies of games....

I don't know, they may not apply to games. I'm merely suggesting it's cool if it does.

Akagi Redsuns
02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Blockbuster is the worst for not trying to inform you when things are due. Nothing on the DVD case, and no receipt for anything....or at least in the Brentwood location, it seems they thrived on late fees and were intenionally trying get them.

Contrast that to Rogers Video where it's clearly labelled on the DVD case and also on the receipt itemizing what movies/games are due on what day, unlike the big mystery at Blockbuster. I suck at remembering when it's due, which is my fault.

This new system doesn't make too much sense to me. Why would they give up all that late fee money? For the greater good for the consumer? I find that hard to believe.

CRXguy
02-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Blockbuster is the worst for not trying to inform you when things are due. Nothing on the DVD case, and no receipt for anything....or at least in the Brentwood location, it seems they thrived on late fees and were intenionally trying get them.

I think it's just that location. The one in Forest Lawn has a reminder hanging on the door before you leave, and they ALWAYS give a receipt with proper return date and all. They usually have a return schedule on the cases, but I think only on New Releases.

Xtrema
02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Why would they give up all that late fee money? For the greater good for the consumer? I find that hard to believe.

It's prevention of future class action lawsuits and fight cheap DVD sales of Wal-mart. Of course they're looking after their own interest.

Here's more details:

Blockbuster's sudden move, effective Jan. 1, did not come about from just a corporate change-of-heart. The company clung to late fees for years.

In a quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission in November, the company reported it faced 14 lawsuits in 10 states and the District of Columbia over late fees charged between 1999 and 2001.

Competitor Hollywood Video agreed last summer to settle a late fee class-action lawsuit by handing out $9 million worth of "rent-one, get-one-rental-free" certificates.

In addition, mass merchants Wal-Mart and Target have been selling cheap DVDs that make buying more attractive than renting in many cases, especially with the inconvenience of running back to the store on time. Another competitor, NetFlix, has been growing online with its no-late-fees policy.

Consumers who wanted to avoid punishment could just avoid the movie rental store.

Blockbuster tested several different versions of pricing last year, trying to remove the strain in the relationship. There wasn't any contest. Customers wanted the late fees eliminated, Hargrove said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05024/446368.stm

toyboy88
02-01-2005, 08:21 PM
new release games = rental fee + $1.75! :eek: BOO YA! :thumbsup: :hitit:

three33
02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
If you currently have late charges on your account you only have to pay half of it...I had $20 late charges and I only had to pay $10 of it and that was it.Also its ridiculous how much renting costs...with tax its $7.49 for a new release movie rental

Weapon_R
02-07-2005, 04:44 PM
At blockbuster, new releases are now about $5.50. I paid the late fee I had, and the guy was like:

Congratulations on paying your last late fee ever. Your next rental is on us.

Gspotracer
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
new release games = rental fee + $1.75! :eek: BOO YA! :thumbsup: :hitit:

I asked the girl @ my blockbuster, she said they will be monitoring the situation & people who abuse it will not be allowed to keep movies past the due date, especially if you are renting games :dunno:

but my movie is already 2 days late & it won't cost me anything:thumbsup:

three33
02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
At blockbuster, new releases are now about $5.50.

I just rented Alien vs Predator on Friday and it cost $6.99 to rent plus tax in which the total came to $7.49.

yeerj
02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
I think Blockbuster will actually increase its revenues by offering no late fees. The way I look at it is they are penalizing everyone by increasing the rental fee instead of just charging those who are late on their returns.

They have also changed their deals for weekly rentals. The bundle packages have increased in price. The deal for 6 rentals is now $14.99 instead of it being 7 rentals for $12.99.

They wouldn't take out late fees unless they could make more money doing something else.