PDA

View Full Version : Are rollcages street legal?

red99600
01-31-2005, 11:50 PM
just wondering if roll cages are street legal in calgary?
or anywhere else

Ekbusta
02-01-2005, 03:09 AM
they are nub

red99600
02-02-2005, 03:29 AM
nub?

CKY
02-02-2005, 03:49 AM
i don't know for sure but it should be, i mean its just a safety feature :dunno:

Zero102
02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
They are legal. You damn near need one if you ever get hit my a big SUV....

He's calling you a noob.
nu b.

Def_3
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Ekbusta
they are nub

He's calling you a noob.
nu b.

Correct me if Im wrong but he looks like a noob to me as well.:rofl:

awdterror
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

He's calling you a noob.
nu b.

The only thing most peoples cages do is pose a huge risk for a massive head injury.

Unpadded roll cages/bars = BAD. Who cares if it's ugly, put padding on your damn bars.

hjr
02-04-2005, 01:07 AM

He's calling you a noob.
nu b. sorry boy, but you are wrong. they are definetely NOT legal, just like pretty much anything else you do to a car that is not stock. This does not mean that you will get ticketed for having one, but its a possibility. Just like you never see people getting tickets for racing seats, which are also not legal.

Primer_Drift
02-04-2005, 03:11 AM
^^^ have any alberta traffic safety act quotes to back that up?
I've seen some pretty stupid things on the road (mostly other drivers) but as long as it meets ATSA standards, is registered, and insured - it is fully legal. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Zero102
02-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I would like to see some proof that they are illegal.
IMO they are a good thing to have on the street. I also agree about padding your roll cage. I've seen a few people bean their heads on theirs in a street car, usually when getting in/out.

Are 5-point harnesses illegal as well? They are just additional safety equipment, just like a roll cage.

Dr. Nick
02-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes 5 point harness' are illegal IF they did not come standard equipment on the vehicle. The reasoning is a 3-point harness is designed to collapse toward the middle of the vehicle if things get ......sideways. With a 5-point belt you are forced to stay where you are, argubly more safe but thats not the way car manufactors built their cars to protect you.

BlueGoblin
02-06-2005, 10:58 AM
I would like to see some proof that they are illegal.
IMO they are a good thing to have on the street. I also agree about padding your roll cage. I've seen a few people bean their heads on theirs in a street car, usually when getting in/out.

Are 5-point harnesses illegal as well? They are just additional safety equipment, just like a roll cage.

Still working on the roll cage, but I do not see why it would be specifically illegal. They are in my opinion, a very poor idea on the street unless you always wear all of the gear that the cage is designed to work with: a 4, 5, or 6 point harness and a Snell approved helmet.

As for the harness, here are links to the relevant legislation:

www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/M/mvsa/regulations/mvsrg/200/mvsr209.html

Pretty dull eh? My eyes glazed over before the end, but basically if you can meet these regs, then the TSA figures your OK too...

ref : www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_322.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717090

see Section 77 (c) (iv) and S. 79

The racing seats are likely in a similar boat; if they meet the federal regs then they are probably OK.

A lawyer's interpretation may vary though. I don't claim to be the last word on this.

Speaking of lawyers, If you were to install a cage, racing harnesses and racing seats in your car, get into a collision -even entirely the other drivers fault- but a passenger was injured, Their lawyers would likely spend may hours combing through the legislation for ways in which you would be in breach and for which they will sue you.