PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Elections

Toms-SC
02-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I am surprized that there has not been a thread about this yet!

Link to BBC News article
Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4223845.stm)

My personal feelings are good! Thank god the people have come out to vote "60% of registered voters, voted". :thumbsup: I hope the insurgents got the point that no matter what they do, democracy will rise, and the majority people are for it.

I give it under a year till America and its allies pull out.

DEREK57
02-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Its very impressive how many came out to vote. It looks good, except the only problem is that it looks like Iraq will not be the only Shiite controlled nation in the Middle East. After decades of being neglected this could lead to a civil war with the Sunnis who boycotted the vote.

Melinda
02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Overall I think it went fairly well, thought it is really sad that 35 people had to die just because they were going out to vote. I wish the new government all the best of luck with getting the country straightened out. :)

Primer_Drift
02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DEREK57
Its very impressive how many came out to vote. It looks good, except the only problem is that it looks like Iraq will not be the only Shiite controlled nation in the Middle East. After decades of being neglected this could lead to a civil war with the Sunnis who boycotted the vote.

The new shiite dominance in the region may indeed cause a sectarian divide in the muslim world. Critics of the shiite majority cite the following - "The nightmare scenario in the region is the election of an Iranian-influenced Shiite government in Iraq will lead to the creation of a 'Super Iran' emerging as a regional superpower" says Alani. "We are talking about a huge shift in the region's power balance."

hjr
02-01-2005, 04:35 PM
a super iran will most likely never happen. The us simply would not allow it. They spend billions and lost thousands of lives to get democracy into the region (among other things...), they wont let that fall apart. This is the only 'victory' bush has won internationally, therefor i believe he will be very commited to sustaining it.

that said i am very pleased at the results of the election. The next few weeks will be very critical to the future of iraq an i hope it goes well.

Really is a bittersweet result. great that elections seem to have worked at this point, shame that there is now ammo in bush's agenda gun...

DEREK57
02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I thought the Iranians were mostly Sunni's!?!

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

The new shiite dominance in the region may indeed cause a sectarian divide in the muslim world. Critics of the shiite majority cite the following - "The nightmare scenario in the region is the election of an Iranian-influenced Shiite government in Iraq will lead to the creation of a 'Super Iran' emerging as a regional superpower" says Alani. "We are talking about a huge shift in the region's power balance."

Originally posted by hjr
a super iran will most likely never happen. The us simply would not allow it. They spend billions and lost thousands of lives to get democracy into the region (among other things...), they wont let that fall apart. This is the only 'victory' bush has won internationally, therefor i believe he will be very commited to sustaining it.

that said i am very pleased at the results of the election. The next few weeks will be very critical to the future of iraq an i hope it goes well.

Really is a bittersweet result. great that elections seem to have worked at this point, shame that there is now ammo in bush's agenda gun...

well iran is almost 3 times bigger than iraq, and has nuclear capabilities, so having the shiite piece of iraq will not do so much for iran......

besides the people of iran and iraq are TOTTALY DIFFERENT........iranians are NOT arabs......actually iranians get offended when ppl call them arabs,....not to mention that historically speacking the arabs, and jewish people are semites, and the iranians are aryan ......so to say that two contries wiull come together because they share is religon is fuckin hillarious, especially because the iranians are sooooo fuckin sick and tried of their shiite theocratic regime

Originally posted by DEREK57
I thought the Iranians were mostly Sunni's!?!
nope...they are mostly "shiite".

FlySi
02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
A Super Iran is already in existence. As soon as they unveil their nuclear arsenal, i'll bet you my life that the United States will not invade Iran.

If it did, it would mean the end of Israel.

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by FlySi
A Super Iran is already in existence. As soon as they unveil their nuclear arsenal, i'll bet you my life that the United States will not invade Iran.

even without nukes the americans cannot invade iran

ok look at all the trouble they are having maintaining iraq....now picture them trying to do the same thing to a country which has a much larger military (that will fight not kneel sown), a population 2-3 times larger, and a land mass 2-3 times larger......the americans simply do not have enough troops to secure iran

FlySi
02-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Without Nuclear weapons, the U.S. will overrun Iran just like it did Iraq. Perhaps even faster. Land mass and population do not translate into the strength of a state.

The fighting ability of the Iranians was demonstrated through much of the 1980s. They could not hold off the advancing Iraqi troops, let alone the utter tidal wave of force that Americans usually hit with. Ask any Iraqi - the 2 weeks in the Shock and Awe campaign was exponentially greater than anything Iran did in the 8 years that it fought against Iraq.

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Without Nuclear weapons, the U.S. will overrun Iran just like it did Iraq. Perhaps even faster.

hahahhaahha...are u insane.....do u have any idea how big iran is.....america can't even control iraq and its 1/3 the fuckin size..........

don't u think they would have tried to over run iran when they held their embassy hostage...

if bush had the power to take down iran they would have by now......but he simply does not have the strength to maintain iran after the gov't would be toppled..post invasion....

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 08:17 PM

The fighting ability of the Iranians was demonstrated through much of the 1980s. They could not hold off the advancing Iraqi troops, let alone the utter tidal wave of force that Americans usually hit with. Ask any Iraqi - the 2 weeks in the Shock and Awe campaign was exponentially greater than anything Iran did in the 8 years that it fought against Iraq.

u added this part later on so now i'm commenting

ok ur just flat out wqrong the iranians maintained their lines, EVENTHOUGH they JUST came out of a FUCKIN REVELOUTION...hahhahahaha and not to mentiuon the iraqies had the american support....so to summarize a country just came out of a reveloution, and its in choas....and it fends off a neiboring country backed by the TWO super power of the world (usa AND teh USSR) sooo get ur facts striaght
plz excuse the disgusting typing

Weapon_R
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
You must seriously be kidding yourself if you think that Iran can hold up against the U.S. for more than a few days. You are the only insane one here lol.

Like mentioned before, nations who possess nuclear weapons are never attacked, as past history shows. But Iran does not have nuclear capabilities as of now, and they would be just as easily invaded and defeated as Iraq was. Iran is not a strong country by any means.

Oh, and Iran was being funded by the U.S. during the Iraq-Iran war too, sooooooooooo get your facts straight.

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You must seriously be kidding yourself if you think that Iran can hold up against the U.S. for more than a few days. You are the only insane one here lol.

Like mentioned before, nations who possess nuclear weapons are never attacked, as past history shows. But Iran does not have nuclear capabilities as of now, and they would be just as easily invaded and defeated as Iraq was. Iran is not a strong country by any means.

Oh, and Iran was being funded by the U.S. during the Iraq-Iran war too, sooooooooooo get your facts straight.

u are reffering to the contra, and the americans did not provide anywhere as much help to the iranains as tehy did the iraqies, partly because the iranians had recently takn thir embaccy hostage.........

u can argue that iran is a weak nation if u want, i ahev no idea what u are comparing it too, but if u are saying that the iran can be invaded by the states SUCCESSFULLY then u are wrong.....they simply do not have the man power

Weapon_R
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Let me guess - you're persian?

jaysas_63
02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Let me guess - you're persian? :rofl:

edit : i think i'm sending off the wrong message here.....ok the americans would fuckin destroy iran...like bomb iran to fuck BUT (huge but) they couldn't do to iran what they did to the iraqies (i.e. contain iran, and secure the region).....iran is way to big, and has way to large of a population, which means that if the americans had such a difficulty with iraq there is no way in hell they could do it to iran...but once again they could bomb iran, and tear iran another asshole, but they couldn't take it over...

Zoom_Zoom
02-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Bush blows goats :thumbsdow

cycosis
02-03-2005, 02:04 AM
^ go suck a nut. Bush, although weird at times, i believe is a good president tfor the time being, hes certainly a better choice then the other dude. im not sure if iraq was necessary but there are other countrries that did need dismanteling *cough* iran/north korea*cough*

Toms-SC
02-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Zoom_Zoom
Bush blows goats :thumbsdow

ban

Weapon_R
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Jaysas: Are you persian?

DEREK57
02-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Exactly. So you think America is going to wait for them to develop proper nuclear weapons, or to reword it: that Isreal will let America wait until they get nukes?

Remember, this a party with a preempyting ideology. Kill them before theyre strong enough to kill you.

DEREK57
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Without Nuclear weapons, the U.S. will overrun Iran just like it did Iraq. Perhaps even faster. Land mass and population do not translate into the strength of a state.

No doubt that America could take Iran, but Iran would definetly not be easier than Iraq. It is bigger, has a larger military, and has harder terrain in many places. Remember, all this time, America will also be occupying Iraq, and their many other posts, so its not like they can just move soldiers along their fronts like a risk game. The more land you go for, the more places you have to occupy, the weaker your front line forces must get. Unless your gonna blow a hundred billion extra, and institute a draft.

Originally posted by jaysas_63

hahahhaahha...are u insane.....do u have any idea how big iran is.....america can't even control iraq and its 1/3 the fuckin size..........

don't u think they would have tried to over run iran when they held their embassy hostage...

if bush had the power to take down iran they would have by now......but he simply does not have the strength to maintain iran after the gov't would be toppled..post invasion....

Theres a few different aspects here. First, of course they wouldnt invade an entire nation just to rescue the few people from the embassy. Noone would support such a campaign.

I agree that America couldnt control Iran without a draft, but they shouldnt have as much trouble as with Iraq. Remember that the number of terrorists in Iraq increased once the Americans got there. The terrorists have placed themselves in a position to kill Americans, that means that the more spread out the American military gets, the more spread out the insurgency too will get. They will still gain many new ones in Iran. But the insurgent/population number should go down.