PDA

View Full Version : Sentra VS streetcleaner

szw
12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
So I'm coming around that weird ramp from riverbend to glenmore east...down the road is a streetcleaner on the side of the road (1 road..but kinda wide) kicking up lots of dirt.

I slow down to pass it safely, but it kept moving out, taking up more of the road.

By the time I got there, not as much room as I hoped...I swerved right and saved the day.

However, while I didn't hit the curb, I ran over a strip of road that was raised about an 1-1.5 inches from the road. Hard to describe...but it was a sharp 'edge' that went straight down...

Anyways, my front right tire has a huge gash all the way around it. Its not punctured, and I don't think its leaking air, but on one of the groups of tread, its sliced right in half.

First of all...is it dangerous to drive with this? These are winter tires (artic alpine)

Second of all...I remember posts saying that if your car is damaged from a pothole, that has been called in, the city will pay the damage. Is there any such thing in my case, where the damage was caused by unfinished construction, or am I SOL?

bol
12-18-2002, 06:34 PM
yes it's dangerous to drive with a tire like that. it could break apart at high speed and THAT wont be fun especially as its on the front.

szw
12-18-2002, 06:38 PM
I'll try to get some pics soon...

GTS Jeff
12-18-2002, 06:56 PM
at least rotate it to the rear..

Dr. Evil
12-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by szw
First of all...is it dangerous to drive with this? These are winter tires (artic alpine)
Your life kinda depends on that tire... actually, even if you don't care about your life if your car looses control and hits someone else then you'll be screwed.

How much does a replacement tire cost?
Do you have any guarantees from the tire store you bought it from?

I'd say replace it, but that is me...

szw
12-18-2002, 07:27 PM
No I bought them 2nd hand

Anyways here is a picture. hard to see cuz of the crappy camera, but you get the idea.

The damage cuts into 50% of the remaining tread.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~szwliew/fuckingshit.jpg

szw
12-18-2002, 07:28 PM
maybe i'll just do some burnouts until it wears down 50%....heh heh

LaughingTiger
12-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Yeah I think the city pays for it.....just say you hit something on deerfoot and they will pay up... I don't know about construction because there are warning signs........ It spose to be there duty to keep the roads clear of obstruction....

Weapon_R
12-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Whatever you do, don't drive on that tire in the front of your car.

Make sure you rotate it to the rear-right side. That way if it goes, you can still maintain control. If it blows while you are driving and it's still up front, you will lose control and the car will pull hard that direction.

Get it replaced, either by the city, or yourself. It's not safe driving like that. I am pretty sure winter tires are much softer than all seasons, so you'd be taking the risk by driving like that.

Hipermax_d
12-19-2002, 05:17 PM
since its not going to snow for a looong time. might as well put your summers back on until it snows then.

heard it wont snow at christmas either:thumbsdow