PDA

View Full Version : Educate me

oddjob
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Would an H-series motor work well inside a hatchback? :dunno: or is the B-series a better choice?

Weapon_R
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
which b series?

gpomp
02-01-2005, 08:55 PM
more of a price issue, imo.

statick
02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
H would work, i've sene it doen before, but a B is better suited i think.

baronsamedi
02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Wouldnt there be suspension issues with the h-series? just a thought.

buh_buh
02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by baronsamedi
Wouldnt there be suspension issues with the h-series? just a thought.

So I am sitting here tonight looking around HT and talking in PM to people about my built H22 I just posted into FI and Prelude... and I come across yet another B VS H arguement... and people start talking about all this weight BS again... the H series I hear rumours of anywhere from 85-125lb heavier then a B swap.
Here are some pics to let everyone with a B loose one of their points. (Not that I am against the B... the B is the shit... but I love the H as well and I have a H and I am tired of the weight argument)

I own a shop, and at the moment we are building several motors. So here I bring you some good shit.

All 3 Blocks are built with stock crank, forged rods, forged pistons, and iron sleeves done by benson (H22, D16) and darton (B16). I have a bensen'd B16 here as well but its already made the voyage to the engine stand so its not getting weighed. The only thing that is not fair in these pics is that the D has the oil pan on it... wasnt gonna take it off just for this BS.

H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block
D = 100lb short block + oil pan

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

NOW lets move on... the big word that I always hear is that its the H TRANS IS SOOOO HEAVY!!! Lets take a little peak here...

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lb

OK.. thats 6 lb... so we have a 25lb weight increase so far with the H22.

I will post here within a day or two as I weigh the assembled cylinder heads, as the H head is definatly heavier... but I would guess 10 lb heavier.

As for the rest of the crap... who cares. Intake manifolds are light for any motor and come in different flavors, same with headers and all that BS. Accessories are up to the owner of the car. Everything else hardly applies... flywheels are up to the user, axles, clutch, aluminum or steel oilpans, etc etc all this shit is up to the owner of the car so that crap doesnt need to be part of the comparison.

So what it comes down to is unless that H head is REALLY that much heavier... we are talking about

35 LB INCREASE!! Thats about how much weight off my ass I need to loose so I would be a hypocrite to be hard on the H.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550&page=

gpomp
02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by baronsamedi
Wouldnt there be suspension issues with the h-series? just a thought. due to weight? no, the h-series is not heavier by any significant amount. the engine sits kinda low though.

baronsamedi
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
due to weight? no, the h-series is not heavier by any significant amount. the engine sits kinda low though.

i see. the weight difference isnt that much after all. good to know. :thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
02-01-2005, 10:37 PM
the engine sits lower? thats even better, lower center of gravity means better handling. plus, some guy built a 700 horsepower H22 and I have not heard numbers like that from a B series motor.

oddjob
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
thanks guys, your info was exactly what i needed. great stuff