PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 mileage

ecstasy_civic
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
EK9max is trying to persuede me into buying an SRT4 lol, im just curious, in daily driving, and goofing around what the fuel mileage is like.

I drive my car pretty hard so im just trying to get an idea of what your SRT drivers are getting, I know ZFAN was saying mid 300's?
fairly accurate?

thanks.

awd
02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Got google?

MPG: 22 city, 30 highway (EPA)

BigMass
02-01-2005, 11:04 PM
EPA is worthless in the real world

ecstasy_civic
02-02-2005, 04:12 PM
ya no shit, thats why im asking for daily driven/ spirited driving, but thanks anyways:confused:

GoChris
02-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I fill up every 5 days if I don't leave town. I usually fill up at about 3/4 tank and its probably around 300km since the last fill. I wouldnt say its great mileage. On the highway its better on flat ground.

I drove to Drumheller last night and took me just over 1/4 tank to get there, but used damn near 1/2 getting back heh. It was about 1.5 hours away doing 130 or so.

Hope that helps, dont buy it if you dont have money for gas, I fill up 2x as much as I did in my 92 accord, at least.

ecstasy_civic
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
lol oh no, my car is brutal on gas too, and its not the money, but I just dont want something WORSE then what I have now.

I get about 320-380kms to a tank now in my spec v, thats 51L

benyl
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
lol oh no, my car is brutal on gas too, and its not the money, but I just dont want something WORSE then what I have now.

I get about 320-380kms to a tank now in my spec v, thats 51L

Holy cow, that is shitty.

I get about 300km per tank (55L) in the winter and 400 in the summer. I push the car once in a while.

My car is rated at 18 mpg in the city, but I get more like 14.

I would expect the SRT4 to get something similar, albeit better because it is lighter than the STI (no AWD).

ade99
02-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I used to own a Spec V too and I was getting a about 350-400kms per tank driving normally.
With the SRT, i get worse so don't expect to get better milage from the SRT if you end up getting it

ecstasy_civic
02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Its been nice out too, so ive been having a bit of fun lol
Ill be lucky to hit 320 this tank.:(

Well, as far as practicality, the SRT4 doesnt sound that practical lol
Not, really what im looking for I guess:burnout:

The search continues:cry:

thanks for the help guys

RiceCake
02-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Damn your spec V uses a lot of gas!:eek:

I remember filling up every 450-500 Km when I had my spec V.

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
EPA is worthless in the real world

:werd:

Those tests are usually done in a very controlled environment. One which does not represent reality. EPA is beyond worthless, it's downright fucking irrelevant. Cuz everyone likes to mash the pedal now and then...oh, I should clarify. EPA is relevant in that you can expect to get about 80% of whatever that number is in the real world of driving...

Anyhow...

Reference. 1 US Gallon equivalent to 3.785 litres and 1 mile equivalent to 1.609km.

I have been getting approximately 365km to a tank and usually put in about 44 litres of fuel...under 'normal' usage.

So that would be 8.29km/L or 19.5 mpg

Uhm, and I had a tank last week that got 405km on 46 litres, but I had virtually all 'deerfoot' or highway mileage on that.

So that would be 8.80km/L or 20.7 mpg

I pretty much ran my SRT-4 dry at 395km of city driving and aggressive acceleration and serious abuse for 'time tests' style driving...and it took a whopping 51.016 litres. Not bad for a 48L capacity! LOL. So, when abused badly (and I do mean badly) it'll go down to 7.74km/L. 18.2 mpg

Someone had mentioned the SPEC-V getting better mileage. Well, yes, it definitely does. But it's not by a whole whack. I think the SPEC-V gets about 450km on 48L of city use.

So that'd be 9.37km/L or 22 mpg

Overall, it is a pretty marginal difference between the two vehicles. But the SRT-4 is far more expensive because the fuel is Premium, where you can get away with regular on the SPEC-V.

But really, the mileage is only slightly better on the SPEC-V...but it is definitely better.

If all that matters is your mileage, buy an old Geo Metro. :dunno:

GoChris
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Man I just dont see how these tanks hold that much lol. I drove it on the low fuel light for a bit today and only put in 39.x L of gas this morning.

Do you stop when it clicks off? I am, maybe thats why you get more in.

Edit: I meant to say I drove it all the way home last night on low fuel light.

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 10:47 AM
What year is yours again?

But yeah, I keep pumping after it clicks off the first time...and I always drive well past the illumination of the gas light. Probably about 45-65 KM depending on situation ... after gas light comes on...

GoChris
02-03-2005, 11:52 AM
mine is a 2004, at least I know if the light is on, I can make it a reasonable distance before I run out of gas :)

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Well, for the record, when I ran the car out of fuel, the gauge was basically resting on the 'stop' which is below the markings on the gauge.

So, if the bottom of the needle is still above the TOP of the empty mark, you've still got about 4 litres or more (30KM) of fuel. You're not empty until your needle is below the last tick on the gauge. Then you're empty!!

CryoCarnage
02-03-2005, 11:59 AM
But we must also take into consideration that we dont use our full tanks so we have potential to have better gas mileage. Then again as everyone else said, EPA is the most useless shit youll ever come across.

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
But we must also take into consideration that we dont use our full tanks so we have potential to have better gas mileage. Then again as everyone else said, EPA is the most useless shit youll ever come across.

Whether we use ALL the fuel, or 70% or 80% or 90% of the fuel makes no difference in calculated gas mileage...

Or, were you trying to say something else? Such as if we use more fuel we'll go further?? Which is correct, but doesn't necessarily alter our MPG in a positive fashion...

Speed_69
02-03-2005, 12:34 PM
what should a 98 automatic civic si gas mileage be around under normal driving conditions?

1badPT
02-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Whether we use ALL the fuel, or 70% or 80% or 90% of the fuel makes no difference in calculated gas mileage...

Or, were you trying to say something else? Such as if we use more fuel we'll go further?? Which is correct, but doesn't necessarily alter our MPG in a positive fashion...

I think he means when caculating fuel consumption, if you drive it till its empty the calculation is correct, if you fill it while there is some gas in the tank, the calculation is off by a bit. I'm just guessing that that is what he's getting at though.

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

I think he means when caculating fuel consumption, if you drive it till its empty the calculation is correct, if you fill it while there is some gas in the tank, the calculation is off by a bit. I'm just guessing that that is what he's getting at though.

Oh, OK. This is kind of what I thought he was saying...so that's probably what he is saying...right...but that idea is not true.

The only thing running your tank dry will help you with is determining (in reality) the maximum distance you can travel on a completely full tank of fuel. But you certainly don't have to use all of your fuel to calculate the economy of the car!

How much gas left in the tank is completely irrelevant to the calulcation of the mileage the car is getting.

There are only two things that you require - you need to know exactly how much fuel you used. AND, you need to know exactly how far you travelled. It is not necessary to consume all the fuel in the tank. In fact, you could have 10 litres left in the tank, and it doesn't effect the KM/L or MPG calculation. While it is true that the closer you get to using all the fuel, the finer the calculation will be - however, you are affecting the calculation in the tenths or hundreths area of the final number AND you are not necessarily increasing the number - you could very well be decreasing the number depending on the aggression level present when the last 10 litres of fuel was consumed.

The real problem is not what is left in the tank. The real problem is determining exactly what was consumed. The fact is we never really know precisely how much fuel we used - and we cause incorrect calculation by underfilling or overfilling. The best we can hope for is an approximate...

For most accurate result, you need to fill your tank right to the point of overflow. Drive until the tank is mostly empty, and then fill the tank right to the point of overflow again. It is far more important to know that the tank was completely FULL in both required instances than the notion of consuming all the available fuel.

Once you have the 'average' economy of the car calculated, you can then determine maximum distance the car can travel on a tank of fuel if that is what you really want to know. (As opposed to running the car dry.) But that number isn't nearly as important to know as the KM/L or MPG economy of the vehicle.

EnRich
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
SRT uses premium gas to right, so if it does you gotta take that into considersation

ecstasy_civic
02-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I alternate between 89-91 in my Spec V, premium gets WAY less mileage:(

and no, im not worried about mileage, like I said, I was just curious if it was worse then my Spec V:drama:

Z_Fan
02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
It'll be worse for sure...but not by much.

I have 365KM on my current tank and the light hasn't even come on yet in my SRT-4. So this tank will be 400+ no problem.

GoChris
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
It'll be worse for sure...but not by much.

I have 365KM on my current tank and the light hasn't even come on yet in my SRT-4. So this tank will be 400+ no problem.

I don't think you are driving hard enough, lol :burnout: I never get that much, and its too hard to try and drive "slow" for an entire tank =\

StraightFlush
02-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Just a reminder with the gas guage...once the light comes on you do have an easy 50-60km's left...once your guage starts to blink, then you know you have very little...I would say a couple liters.

I tested out the gas light blinking theory...the needle was right dead bottom of the guage when it started to blink, I found the closest gas station and managed to put in about 50liters....and that was maxing it out until fuel almost spilled out.

This last tank of gas I drove it normal/hard. Pretty much had a fun time with the tank. Drove the car the way I wanted to hitting boost frequently in 2nd/3rd gear...I got about 395km's on it.

Overall I am happy with the gas consumption...its not as bad as I originally thought.

Z_Fan
02-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Update.

My light didn't come on until 410KM this time! (And I filled up shortly after knowing I still had lots of fuel left.) 423KM on the tank at time of fill.

Now, I know I can take 51L max.

In this case, it took 43.750L filling to brim. (Which I do so I can get an accurate consumption rate...)

423KM on that 43.750L = 9.67KM/L or 22.7MPG. By far the best I've had yet in this car.

StraightFlush
02-04-2005, 11:41 PM
thats some good mileage...you would have hit around 450km's taking it to empty....not bad at all!

I will be testing out the mileage with my recent addition of a Stage2 kit. I want to see the diff those bigger injectors make on daily driving. :)

jersturbo
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't know where these poor gas mileage ideas are coming from....and most of the comments I see posted are not from actual owners.

I'm not a slow driver...in Calgary, I get between about 325kms up to 400kms...depending upon how much of that is driving vs. racing...LOL :burnout:

Taking it easy...like now in winter, with my boost lowered to 5psi...(still beats most cars)...or highway driving...my mileage is from 400kms to 430kms...per tank.

Jer

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Its been nice out too, so ive been having a bit of fun lol
Ill be lucky to hit 320 this tank.:(

Well, as far as practicality, the SRT4 doesnt sound that practical lol
Not, really what im looking for I guess.

The search continues
thanks for the help guys

Z_Fan
02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I just drove my SRT-4 until it was very empty - not dead empty like before - but at least to the point where the light actually starts flashing. (Not just lit - but flashing)

Took exactly 50L of fuel, got 425 KM. (Premium) I didn't baby the car or anything like that! (I am abusive on the car, what can I say - it's why I bought the damn thing!)

The wife's SE-R Spec-V just got 500 KM on 43L of fuel. So significantly better than the SRT-4, even when you drive the SRT-4 as a grocery getter. And it's cheaper fuel too.

But I'm not unhappy with the mileage the SRT-4 gets - it's not great, but hey, pay to play.

w3apon
02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
City stop-and-go driving (no deerfoot) I get about 320 before the low-gas light turns on.
I drove to Banff and back on the weekend and got well over 400km.
It's only a 45 litre tank, so it's not bad gas milage at all.

ecstasy_civic
02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
very good info, thanks guys.