PDA

View Full Version : New to working out

mix123
02-02-2005, 01:02 AM
I just started working out. I'm 21.. 5'10 and about 147lbs. I quit smoking last june and since then have put on wieght(I was a measely 134lbs. before). Some of the weight has gone to my arms and chest but alot of it has gone to my stomach. I'm working out because a) it feels damn good and b) I want to have nice defined muscles but I don't want to be overly huge and have to eat like a pig. I only started this week but what i've decided as a plan was

- biceps- back - on monday - cardio - abs - tuesday- day off wednesday - shoulders - legs - thursday - -triceps - chest - friday - off or cardio+abs over the weekend ...

I know protein is important and have started having one shake in the morning..one pre workout..one post .... plus the food i eat daily

Let me know if this seems right to you guys...what i should change etc.

davidI
02-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Just eat well and eat lots and you'll see good gains. 'Newbie Gains' are the best

Shampoo Suicide
02-02-2005, 01:08 AM
If your main goal is too gain muscle/weight I would limit cardio to once a week or cut it out completely.

hockeybronx
02-02-2005, 02:39 AM
It sounds like you have a great start on your routines. Just remember that you will learn loads of new information as you progress in this area.

Your workouts will continually change and you will find what works and what doesn't as you gain more experience with your fitness.

Good luck:thumbsup:

r7
02-03-2005, 01:44 AM
First thing, set a goal.

Set up a diet plan consisting of high protein, moderate carbs, and healthy fats. Aim for 2x your weight in protein and carbs, and about 0.35 times your weight in fats.

protein = lean meats,eggs,fish,milk,whey powder,etc
carbs. = rice,potatoes,yams,oats,broccoli,etc
fats. = peanut butter, flax oil, fish oils,etc

Try and setup 6 meals a day that are either protein/carb or protein/fat.

Have a protein/carb shake ASAP after training. (I utilize Whey/dextrose)

Take a multi vitamin in the morning.

Drink 4 litres of water everyday

Set up a training routine that focuses on the core lifts, your squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Learn and practice form. (very important) Get a partner if you can.

www.fitday.com can help you with macronutrients, and even log your progress.

That's basically it, follow this and you will grow. I might be missing a few things.

r7
02-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Sorry, I just noticed that you don't want to eat much. Your progress will be slow, with the goals that you listed. I mean who would rather be 5'11 160 lbs than 5'11 190lbs and lean?

Also, read your training routine there... in my opinion it doesn't look too good.

1 chest / tris
2 back / bis
3 off
4 legs
5 shoulders arms
6 off
7 repeat

Some like to train bi's with chest, and tris with back. Put abs with either chest or back.

mix123
02-03-2005, 01:51 PM
I mean sure eating 6 times a day + 3 X my weight in protein so on would garantee me growing quite fast. But I'm pretty sure if I change my life around that much it won't last long lol. I'd rather start with getting my weight training routine together and start with protein shakes daily. Then after that has become a habbit/part of my daily life then maybe move towards eating 6 times a day. But I think starting a fitness regime and changing around ur eating habbits all at the same time would be alot to handle in the beginning. So what is sooo terrible about doing cardio...it seems as tho pretty much every guy that isee at the gym or know who is pretty big...never does cardio and probably couldn't run around the block. That to me doesn;t seem like being in shape. I might want to participate in a half marathon in the summer and will have to start training for that aswell.

mix123
02-03-2005, 01:54 PM
So no cardio?

besides that ur schedule seems to be the same as mine exept the days r different. Does it make a difference?

r7
02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
do cardio on your off days

Actually, I know a few guys that are 230-252 , and very lean, that are fighters... they have excellent endurance!

About the routine, do what you want. But that works great, and doesn't interfere with muscle groups.. Such as you wouldn't want shoulder day after chest day... or leg day next day after back

mix123
02-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok i will try what u said about the routine and do cardio on my off days

r7
02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Once you get your training down, and know what you are doing. (form, poundage, reps, sets, exercises that work for you) It really become an issue of what you eat. I've seen people workout for a long time, and still look the same.

RiceCube
02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
what are 'newbie gains' and how fast do they occur?

hockeybronx
02-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by RiceCube

My best explanation of newbie gains would be when you first start working out and you notice prolific changes to your body after as little as 2-4 weeks of working out.

They happen so quickly because your body is going from doing hardly any activity to being thrown through as series of intense workouts.

However your body is an artist at adapting to unfimiliar circumstances, and soon it requires that level of activity. These adaptive qualities show the importance of regularily changing up your workouts, using variation, and most importantly knowing the importance of proper sleep and dieting habits.

hockeybronx
02-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by RiceCube

My best explanation of newbie gains would be when you first start working out and you notice prolific changes to your body after as little as 2-4 weeks of working out.

They happen so quickly because your body is going from doing hardly any activity to being thrown through as series of intense workouts.

However your body is an artist at adapting to unfimiliar circumstances, and soon it requires that level of activity. These adaptive qualities show the importance of regularily changing up your workouts, using variation, and most importantly knowing the importance of proper sleep and dieting habits.