PDA

View Full Version : Peaked out...

YCB
02-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Its been a while since I posted here, gggunit seemed to have whored this part of the forum haha.

I been workin out for a while now, learning things as I go along. I already went through the "newbie gains", but it seems like I have peaked out, I can't seem to lift more, and get bigger. Right now I'm 170 lbs, bench is 225, squat is 275, shoulder press is about 85's.. and I have been doing this weight for about a month now, maybe increasing like 5lbs here and there..

I also believe in the phrase "with strength comes size". In my gym, there aren't many huge people, but there are a couple big guys, and I seem to match them in lifting etc.. (all proper of course, no half bench press or half squats here), but these guys are big.

What I think is, I just need to get heavier, maybe 180-190lbs, then I could lift more??

DavidI or Wildcat, any suggestions? haha

sorry they seem like the only people that know what they are talking about.

Supplements I'm on: Protien + Dextrose. v12 cycle (almost finished, 1 more week). EFA's, vitamins etc.. just basic stuff..

davidI
02-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Try taking a week off...maybe changing up your routine to 5x5's or something. Experiment with different excercises. I had the same problem of stalled gains and coupled with having great luck with the ladies I lost all motivation. I still really haven't gotten back into it but hopefully soon!!!

Just make sure that you stay motivated and interested and push yourself just that bit further to get over the plateau!

DUBBED
02-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Do you pay attention to tempo/time when you workout?

YCB
02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
Do you pay attention to tempo/time when you workout?

yeah, i have a consistent tempo when I do my lifts, my brain wants to do more weight.. but my body won't lift it.. haha

DUBBED
02-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Try doing 2 seconds push, 2 seconds negative. No pause between up/down. Take 45 seconds between sets, and 2 minutes between exercises. That should help break the plateau if you're looking for size.

If you're looking for strength, push for 1 second and 4 seconds negative.

A bodybuilder/personal trainer had me doing this for a bit, absolutely the best workouts I've ever had. :thumbsup:

gggunit
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by YCB
Its been a while since I posted here, gggunit seemed to have whored this part of the forum haha.

I was new so I went buck for a while... posting nazi hahha

only advice change up your routine..

~Leah~
02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Try taking a week off...maybe changing up your routine to 5x5's or something. Experiment with different excercises. I had the same problem of stalled gains and coupled with having great luck with the ladies I lost all motivation. I still really haven't gotten back into it but hopefully soon!!!

Just make sure that you stay motivated and interested and push yourself just that bit further to get over the plateau!

Exactly this. Take a week, even 2 weeks off! You'll give your body a little rest (but do an active rest.... that is, do some recreational stuff, like basketball or something) but you'll most likely come back more motivated. When you do come back, change up your routine a little bit. Slight changes can make it more challenging. Try using an exercise ball for some stuff so that you have to use your core while lifting. Change the angle of your lever. Change up your reps/sets. Try pyramid or negative training. There's so many things you can do when you come back. But like Dave said, take at least a week off (I would recommend 2) and when you come back, you can totally shock your body and go higher and further than you woulda thought! If you want suggestions on how to change up some of your exercises gimme a shout.

badseed
02-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Variation is key, your body has adapted to the exerises you perform on a regular basis. Small changes will go a long way, and as far as not gettin big right away, initial strength gains are mostly due to neuromuscualr improvement. Hypertrohy comes later.

r7
02-03-2005, 01:31 AM
1. Adjust your diet
2. up your calories, more protein and complex carbs
3. do deadlifts
4. 20 rep squats

YCB
02-03-2005, 01:39 AM
yeah.. cool, i was thinkin today that maybe I dont' push myself hard enough, I'll change it up.. with the tempo I usually do 1 second up and 2 second down.. somewhere between there..

Its not that im not motivated, I go monday- friday straight.. but it seems like i been at the same weight for a while now.. almost a month..

r7
02-03-2005, 01:54 AM
what does your daily food intake look like?

YCB
02-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by r7
what does your daily food intake look like?

not really good either, i think thats another reason for the lag...

r7
02-03-2005, 01:57 AM
That is THE reason. You are hitting some alright numbers, how tall? Gotta eat more food.

YCB
02-03-2005, 02:10 AM
5'10 or 5'11.. hah pretty good for a chinese guy...

guess i gotta eat more of that food, but as DavidI says, too lazy to make it.. haha

~Leah~
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Even if you are motivated, stop going to the gym for a week at least. It'll give your body a huge shocker when you come back.

r7
02-03-2005, 05:44 PM
food intake is the problem

but taking a week or two off is great..