PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Caffine on Mental Capacity?

Weapon_R
02-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Does anyone see any harm in taking a caffine pill ?

I am taking a test in a few days, but i'm always kind of tired at the beginning of the morning. I was thinking of taking one to help me stay alert (and just that once, in case you are all going to say that i'm going fiend on them).

Would it hinder my ability to think at all? Is there any tradeoffs?

GucciBoy
02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
howabout green tea pills? so many other supplements better than caffeine.

nismodrifter
02-02-2005, 06:36 PM
IMO a good night sleep is better than anything you can take.
I used to drink coffee in the morning before tests and shit (same principle as caffeine pill? :dunno:) to get myself "started" but in the end it messed me up more I think because I was all jittery and shit from overdosing on the coffee :D
Changed my habits and now I get a good night sleep before the test so I'm not tired in the morning (haven't drank a cup of coffee since October) and all is well....grades went up too because I'm more relaxed during the test.
The effects would vary from person to person I think and would depend on other factors as well (I don't really know much about how much "punch" these caffeine pills have so ignore this whole msg if I have no idea of what I am talking about :D)

Weapon_R
02-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Caffine pills do pack a punch. I just don't want to be completely cracked up from being so wide awake and have it screw me up more than help.

As for a good nights sleep...ain't going to happen. I've become too accustomed to late night studying and late night surfing that it's not going to change in a couple of days.

streetarab
02-02-2005, 06:50 PM
ahhhh, the morning coffee, my problem is it doesnt do all that much, i can drink it but it doesnt wake me up, now if i dont have my morning coffee i get a good headache around 2ish

the best thing is sleep sleep sleep, pop one a few days before the test to see if its worth it, if it screws with your head or not. but sleep is the best way, WERD the the more relaxed durin test thing

Speed_69
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
i've done what you're doing numerous times when having to do an exam. I take caffiene pills and it keeps me pretty awake but i can barely think, it's like my mind stopped functioning because my mind is tired and needs rest. i dont suggest doing this but yea you can remember SOME of the stuff you read.

Kaos
02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
I take Red bull instead of Coffee now.
Something about caffine being in a pill bothers me.

kiwi
02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Caffine puts me to sleep faster! :dunno: :zzz:

1badPT
02-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Caffeine used to have the same effect on me too. The way caffeine works is its a stimulant so your body will burn off all your blood glucose (thats what gives you the rush) and then you crash. If you don't have a lot of blood sugar naturally then you'll crash right away. I personally wouldn't take it to help with a test because if crash mid test, you'll be under a lot of stress and you'll feel too tired to deal with it. A good night's sleep is the best medicine :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
02-02-2005, 07:12 PM
It's kind of an experiment at best. What if I take a caffine pill, breakfast, and a protein shake? Would that be a good motivator?

I don't think sleep is an option, once again. I just can't sleep early. It doesn't happen.

GucciBoy
02-02-2005, 07:16 PM
I agree sleep is the priority here.

You could try EPO (evening primrose oil) caps, or maybe dex?

7thgenvic
02-02-2005, 07:29 PM
i NEVER drink coffee before an exam! makes me wayyyyy to jittery! sleep works for me before an exam! take some nightquil and pass out feeling refreshed in the morning!!

1badPT
02-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It's kind of an experiment at best. What if I take a caffine pill, breakfast, and a protein shake? Would that be a good motivator?

I don't think sleep is an option, once again. I just can't sleep early. It doesn't happen.

Ok say the test is on a monday, stay up all night saturday night (no sleep whatsoever) and you could pass the time say... studying :tongue:

Then go to bed early sunday night and have a glass (or 5) of red wine and you'll be out like a light. Thats the only way I can fix my sleep pattern if I've been to a different time zone or if I've gotten accustomed to late nights and have to start getting up early.

gggunit
02-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by kiwi
Caffine puts me to sleep faster! :dunno: :zzz:

My wife is the same way.. around 11pm she'll get a Tims coffee by 1130 she's ready to sleep.:dunno:

R-Audi
02-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Caffiene does differnt things to different people (some go nuts (me) and some it doesnt affect at all)
Either way I was pretty sure I read some where that it increases the activity in your brain cells, so depending on the amount taken can actually help you out.....

GTS Jeff
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
It affects everyone differently. For me, one cup of coffee hits me strongly and makes me jittery for a few hours. I develop a huge headache and I still feel tired, but can't sleep. If I really need a boost for those morning exams, I'll drink 1/3 cup of regular coffee. Any more and I turn into a mess.

As an aside, black coffee contains the most caffeine and espresso has way less, contrary to popular belief.