PDA

View Full Version : JDM Land

A790
02-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Well damn, after sampling a couple offerings I seriously am at a loss. Do I for a Skyline, go fast and look hot doing it? Or a 180sx Type II?

Both a great cars, both are quick. The difference? One is pain to get parts for.

Is it worth it? Any Skyline owners got any input?

ex1z7
02-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Theres a significant difference in prices. Are you going for an SR20DET 180sx and a Skyline R32 GT-R ? Or a CA18DET 180SX and a Skyline R32 GT-S / T ?

The skyline is going to be more powerful in the end if you decide to get crazy, and will always fetch more of a look from the import guys, as well as theres more of an oppourtunity to get noticed by sponsors if you want to go that route, too. Most people can't tell the difference between a 180sx and a 240sx, hell, there isn't much one from the exterior.

Personally I'd go 180sx because I love the look of them. R32's you can't go wrong with, but at least with a 180sx you can use quite a few 240sx parts on it and you don't have to wait 8 weeks to get small parts like the Skyline (a buddy owns a GT-R .. )

My vote goes 180sx.

A790
02-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Well, I was thinking the Skyline GTS-t Type M. I'm not interested in the GTR at all. If I wanted a twin turbo, I'd grab a 300ZX TT.

The 180sx is going to the a CA18DET I think; I don't feel like waiting around for the SR20 and I'm sure I can make my desired output goal of 250 whp pretty reliably wit the CA18.

But yea, if I can find a nice (lowered) 180...

CryoCarnage
02-03-2005, 09:48 AM
180 SX type 2 are crazy fast wen you do soem weight reduction. remove the back seats, change em to racing seats. Upgrwade to titanium exaust. Then it'll be crazy fast. The 180SX is my choice of the two cars even tho i will alwyas love to skyline's rear lights :thumbsup:.

Edit* i found one for you.!!!! http://www.importconcern.ca/perl/b_list.pl?10341 RHD but i know youd love it.

TypeS
02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
your 250 mark would be easily met with the CA, my outward goal is 300whp but it will be a peice by peice process. I know you'd love the 180, enough that you'd forget about the skyline! I was also considering the typeM when I was shopping but in the end it all boiled down to parts. I didnt want to get in over my head, and I don't regret it.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SKYLINES, but in the case of owning one I had no problems choosing the silvia, just as hot and not too much difference in power.
plus S13's are pimp:bigpimp:

A790
02-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Yea, I've been looking around the net and it seems pretty easy to hit 250whp pretty reliably (15psi, intake, exhaust, turbo timer).

As long as I can drive it and have a helluva time, and occasionally show some Prelude and Teg drivers where its at, I'm fine :D

Lo)2enz0
02-03-2005, 06:59 PM
depending on if I decide to keep my sileighty depends on if I want to keep my car. I can keep up with integra type R's and wrx's no problem 7psi with the t28. i think i am going to slap on some tomei cams and cam gears and I think I will call it a day if i decide to sell my car, if not I will sell my black 94 golf and slap in the ca20 conversion kit front tomei.

But in my opinion, if you want to import a s13 or a 180 I would wait till you can get the sr20det chuki's cause it will cost alot less to hit 250 with an sr20. I love my ca18 but in some cases I wish I got an sr20.

Laurier

A790
02-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Yea... but how long do I have to wait for that?

A790
02-04-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm figuring, if not a Skyline, bring in a 180 Type-2 and throw on some mods- not really looking to spend a whole lot. I more or less want a quick, stable car. I want it to go fast, take corners fast, and stop fast.

Plus, I don't feel like waiting longer than I have to for one either.

chris
02-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by A790
Yea... but how long do I have to wait for that?
next year for sr s13's, if you bought one now and stored it would be pretty cheap (the 15 year rule seems to inflate car prices)

BumpinTalon
02-05-2005, 12:32 AM
you could also look at it this way: the Skyline weighs a lot more and as a result it will wear through parts much faster then the 180. if you were going to race your cars, or drive them hard, you would probably wear through brake pads, rotors, tires, and other suspension components a lot faster on the Skyline then the lighter 180. as well, parts for Skylines are two or three times as much for locally available cars.
when you factor in how much more money they are up front, how much more money they are to keep running, how much more money they are to mod... and so on, it just would not pay for itself unless you were going to go above and beyond the limits of the CA or SR (which you aren't). so I think the 180 is by far a better choice.

TypeS
02-05-2005, 12:36 AM
for a guy who hates JDM you stand a fair opinion:thumbsup:

A790
02-05-2005, 01:35 PM
How available are the SR20DET's in North America, parts wise?

Mike09
02-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Part's are not hard to get for either car. Most part's can be picked up in under 1 week for either. Unless there rarely ordered part's like an ashtray or gauge cluster for the RHD. Most mechanical part's can be picked up very quickly.

A790
02-05-2005, 04:10 PM
SO why not just bring in a s13 and swap in an SR20?

BumpinTalon
02-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Mike09
Part's are not hard to get for either car. Most part's can be picked up in under 1 week for either. Unless there rarely ordered part's like an ashtray or gauge cluster for the RHD. Most mechanical part's can be picked up very quickly.

parts are difficult to get for the RB. much less so with every passing day, but a lot of components must still be special ordered because an RB engine has never been offered in North America. even the CA18DET is easier to get parts for because othe CA engines have been available here.

Chim
02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by A790
SO why not just bring in a s13 and swap in an SR20?

$$$$$
An SR20 swap installed will cost ya around $3500, and not sure how much you can trade in the CA18 for after. Whereas if you wait for the ones that come with the SR20, there's less headaches and might save you some cash too.

Your civic kept up with Christian's Cefiro that night, and I think it has the same engine as the Skyline GTS. Go for the 180sx when the SR20 models become importable :thumbsup:

projectsilvia
02-06-2005, 01:47 AM
my vote goes towards the 180sx..skyline is an amazing car but why deal with the wait..around here a 240 proves itself with the ka24de...so a ca18det will let you show off a bit..sr20det is the way to go tho..i dont know many specs on the CA but all i know is after i bagged mine fora couple weeks in blew...and now im doing SR...my suggestion if yu wanna spend the money is to swap the SR in but at the same time while yu have the engine out of the car build it up..its gunna be cheaper on bullshit labour costs for you.

TypeS
02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
^^^ Dont blame the CA, just because your CA18 blew, doesnt mean its a bad engine...all facts considered its a stronger built engine, and can take more abuse than the SR20 but it comes stock with a lower power output, so in the end you will not get as much power out of it than the SR.
the SR can take a shit-kicking aswell, but I'm not going to give up my CA for an SR anytime soon. Chim CA's are going for about 1800-2000, so basically your spending over 1500 bucks to get about a 40hp gain, whereas if you spent 1500 on the CA you'd be making the same or more with a stronger bottom end

:clap: yay for CA's:clap:

EDIT: didnt mean to sound cocky, this is just my opinion that no-one has to listen to:angel:

A790
02-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Yea, I think I'm still going to go for a 180. I don't feel like waiting. I just need this Civic to sell.

Hey Chim, yea, I was bloody surprised. Especially since I had KILLER wheelspin when I launched. Ah well, I was still happy , considering my engine is rated at 45 less HP :D

projectsilvia
02-06-2005, 10:50 PM
oh im not blaming the motor..im saying its a good motor and i was jus giving a heads up that mine blew just for sumthing to think about..but also think about that i beat the shit outof it to blow..lol..im only going with a SR now because i know more about it than a CA and it a 95 engine and not an older one...also i have fund that there a a little more upgrades that i can do to my SR also..no worries tho..us silvia owners have the right to be cocky:angel:

TypeS
02-06-2005, 11:17 PM
actually my girlfriend told me tonight to think about selling my silvia and buying an SR20 model next year.....HOW COOL IS THAT:D :burnout:

shes got a point though, when the 91+'s become eligable to import, I won't be able to sell my car for very much (people will want a pre-equipped SR), whereas if I sell it before the SR's are available it will fetch more coin. Then buy an SR model and it WILL hold its value, being the most powerful factory engine in the S13 ever.

sucks though, I ddint want to sell it until S14's were available...even THEN i don't like the look of the non-kouki S14's near as much as the S13 silvia, so I really hadn't pictures myself parting with my baby for a WHILE....but now that damn woman has me thinking:cry:

projectsilvia
02-07-2005, 12:12 AM
keep the silvia man..why go through sellin it..then importing and waiting the two monthes again..unless yu can get it quicker now..to get a new one..but all that for jus a SR motor?..yu already have a CA and like yu said yu can build that up nicely..and not many guys have there CA built up so its a little more original...it will be WAY worth it when all these cocky guys with there new SR powered s13's get killed by you with your CA..and also i dont think that the SR equipped models will go to cheap..wait for the s14 if thats whut you want..i thgouth about selling mine but now ive decided to keep it and make it a drift car until the bnr33 skylines are available at a decent price and make a drag car:D

calgarys13
02-07-2005, 12:47 AM
werd tanner keep the ca18!!!stay away from the sr darkside, if you wanna be original research the FJ20DET, after reading that im sure youd rather have that than an SR, id still rather have the ca anyways much stronger in the end and can take a beating, also are you coming to wednesday meet?

"quote form fj20.com"
FJ much stronger with hard to get parts, SR not as strong but easier to get parts...........FJ was built for race, SR was built for production line...

TypeS
02-07-2005, 03:42 PM
hhmm yea its not the fact that I want an SR, its only the fact that an SR model will be easier to sell and will fetch more cash, but I guess your right, a CA with the same (or more) power output than a stock SR will be just as easy if not easier to sell.
alright, now I just have to convince the woman that Im modding the shit out of the car for a purpose:D :D

A790
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Are you looking to sell your Sivlia any time soon ;)?