PDA

View Full Version : Mounting snowboard bindings

sml
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
What is the proper way of mounting snowboard bindings? There's 8 holes on the board and 4 holes on the binding. What are the cases for mounting in which holes? Is there an advantage to mounting the bindings closer to the front or back of the board? Also, what's the general distance between bindings and do you measure from the middle of the bindings? (Some say shoulder width) Last noob question is the angle of the bindings? (Some say 21 in the front and 0 in the back) Thanks!

Hash_man
02-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Personally I go with what is comfortable, which is that you should be doing... put your boots on, stand on the board...I blieve mine are sitting in the middle holes on both sides. I try to keep it as much to the middle of the board as possible. You also might have a few different places to put the screws through the bindings so you can adjust them properly.

So ya, its probably about shoulder width, but make sure its comfortable.

And about the angle... Personally I like "duck" stance... ( \\ // ) I think my front is at 17 degrees, and back is pointing the opposite way about 15 degrees.

rip
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
^^^^^Ya i would have to agree, it is whatever feels best to you.

I go with about the same setup as Hash_man, with both feet angling in diff. directions. Just mess around and find what works best for you.

maxout
02-03-2005, 12:46 PM
out of the 8 holes I would mount them in the middle of the eight on both sides then turning them slightly to an angle( this is calculated in degrees) when I mountbindings for beginners I usaully place them front foot 95 degrees and the rear foot about 90. From so on adjusting it to how comfortable you want it. It also plays a role if you ride goofy foot or regular if any question feel free to pm me

abyss
02-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Mine's set up like with just my front foot tilted my back foot is perpendicular. ( l / ) Is there any way to mve the bindings more toward the heel edge or toe edge of your board? We got our friend a board for christmas and he wears like size 13 boots and so his toes hang probable 2 1/2 inches off the front of his board, he says it makes it pretty hard to stay on his toe edge for too long. :eek: Or are we gonna have to trade in his board for a wider one?

ZorroAMG
02-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Most boards are fine for size 10 and smaller. If you have a bigger foot, (12+) you will need to go for a fat board...

Ben
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Most boards are fine for size 10 and smaller. If you have a bigger foot, (12+) you will need to go for a fat board...

Yep, gonna need a wider board if you want a comfortable stance without having to go Mad duck foot or ultra race to keep your heel and toe out of the snow when you carve.

As for where to mount, shoulder width is fine, hop on the board in socks and see where it feels right, then mount the bindings accordingly.

As for angle, for beginners I generally try a perpendicular rear (0) and a front at maybe 5-10 degrees. fairly stable. Nothing too agressive. This is of course 100% dependant on how big your feet are. If you've got canoes for snowboard boots, you're gonna have to take on more angling of your bindings untill you lose that overhang.

To decide what foot to have forward, get someone to shove you in the back from behind when you're not paying attention. which ever foot you stick out instinctivly to stop you from falling on your face, is the one you should use as your front foot on the board.

HTH.

mazda_maniac
02-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Theres 8 holes to fit everyones preference. Play with angles and widths and find what you like. You can senter you're bindings(so the tip and tail are equal lengths from the center of you're stance good for freestyle) or se an inch back(so you have an inch more nose good for freeriding and powder). My angles are 21 and -9 and I believe my stance width is 21.5". I've come to find that stance with playing with it for years.