PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Woes, Help needed.

HOK
12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I'm leaving the country and i have my car down here in LA. I need to leave in like 12 days. I want to leave my car here (since there is someone here to take care of it). But if i phone my insurance company and tell them i want to leave only fire and theft on the car i don't think they will insure it if it is in the US. Can anyone tell me how I can do this? or if a Canadian insurance company will insure it just sitting here?

Any insurance guys out there?

FiveFreshFish
12-19-2002, 07:09 PM
12 days? That's it?

Definitely not worth the hassle to save a couple of dollars. They will have to amend your policy twice, so the service charges may kill the savings anyway.

HOK
12-19-2002, 07:18 PM
no... i'm "going" in 12 days... I will be staying in Hong Kong

4wheeldrift
12-19-2002, 07:42 PM
Are you going to be coming back to canada after you return from HK? If you aren't, I would suggest cancelling your insurance all together and getting fire and theft through a US provider. Much less hassle.

HOK
12-19-2002, 08:09 PM
yes i will be eventually returning... the problem with getting a Us provider is that my car cannot be registered in Cali... I wouldn't pass smog ever :(

FiveFreshFish
12-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by HOK
no... i'm "going" in 12 days... I will be staying in Hong Kong
Sorry... misread your original post. Cool! I'm going to HK in 5 weeks.

Originally posted by HOK
es i will be eventually... the problem with getting a Us provider is that my car cannot be registered in Cali... I wouldn't pass smog ever :(
If you're getting fire, theft & vandalism, would it need to pass a smog test?

HOK
12-19-2002, 11:39 PM
i think you need to have registration to have a car in california... but if its just parked maybe not... guess it couldn't hurt to ask...

4wheeldrift
12-20-2002, 07:38 AM
If the car is parked, it should be similar to a home owners policy.

HOK
12-22-2002, 10:29 PM
my god you what i just found out?

your insurance company in Canada only insures your car if you drive it to the US IF YOU ARE physically in the car... ie if you go to a restaurant and come back out and your car is gone... your screwed...

??????

Adica
12-23-2002, 04:36 AM
do not insure you car with canadian insurance if you are leaving it in the states. if anything happens they will try to find any reason possible not to pay you, and they will find good reason if you park it in the states. you will have to get american insurance. but i do not know if you will have to pass a smog check in california in order to get the insurance. but i am pretty sure you can get american insurance for just theft and fire without having to pass the smog inspection.