PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Artist To Job Shadow/Mentor With

statick
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey, I am a student at Sir Winston Churchill High School, and am currently in a Professional Development in the Arts program. The aim of this is to help us put our portfolios together and get a feel for art in the real world.

As a part of this program I am required to job shadow someone who works with art and/or mentor with a student who studies art at a post-secondary level. This would let me see some of the careers available to artists, and what art schools look for in a portfolio.

If there are any people that work in the arts, or post secondary art students, willing to sacrifice some of their time, please contact me through PM, e-mail ([email protected]), or post on this thread.

Thank you for your time.

statick
02-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Bump, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melinda
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Maybe specify the kind of art you do? That might be a bit more helpful :)

statick
02-17-2005, 04:29 PM
This program is for all forms of art. I personally am into music (contemporary and classical),literaryarts, drawing, painting, and a little bit of sculpture/ceramics/photography.

D. Dub
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
You might want to check out a few galleries and ask around.

Or just go to the Artspace Gallery (above the Crossroads Market) on the w/e and ask around there as their are a number of small galleries.

Or talk to an instructor or counsellor type at ACAD by SAIT?

statick
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the help so far. However if anyone has any other ideas or better yet if there are any professionals in the field of arts willing to help out, please let me know.

5hift
02-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Lol if you want to job shadow someone in the art field, proceed to any employment office and ask one of the unemployed guys standing in line if you can follow him around for a day. :D

Def_3
02-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Khali
Lol if you want to job shadow someone in the art field, proceed to any employment office and ask one of the unemployed guys standing in line if you can follow him around for a day. :D

good one there buddy....I'm sure you know what the hell you are talking about

give the kid a break they ask for help, and some loser comes in and gives em a hard time, I'm sure art like this is waaaaaaay out of your grasp, so I can understand you trying to make a funny:thumbsup:

5hift
02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Actually no its not out of my grasp, while dropping a joke in there im being realistic as well. If you want to do art go for it. Im just saying it from what I see. My family owns several buisnesses so I always am looking at resumes. You'd be suprised how many art students with masters from u of c apply for jobs where they will never make more than 10-12 bucks a hour. He asked what kind of jobs he would be looking at once done and I'm just giving him an idea. Yes if art is your passion for go it. If money is another passion you might want to rethink it though.

Def_3
02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually no its not out of my grasp, while dropping a joke in there im being realistic as well. If you want to do art go for it. Im just saying it from what I see. My family owns several buisnesses so I always am looking at resumes. You'd be suprised how many art students with masters from u of c apply for jobs where they will never make more than 10-12 bucks a hour. He asked what kind of jobs he would be looking at once done and I'm just giving him an idea. Yes if art is your passion for go it. If money is another passion you might want to rethink it though.

:werd: I agree with you 100%, didnt mean to be to harsh in my last post

Weapon_R
02-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Drive down to the University with your brother and go to the Nickel Arts Museum. Ask them if they'll let you hang around for a day.

Superesc
02-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Depending on what kind of "art" industry you are interested in, there are alot of good design studio (online/offline) in town.

Def_3
02-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Drive down to the University with your brother and go to the Nickel Arts Museum. Ask them if they'll let you hang around for a day.

best advise on here, as well check out alberta arts college, i forgot its actual name, i think its downtown!

Superesc
02-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Alberta College of Art and Design.

One of the best design school in Canada.

t-im
02-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by statick
Hey, I am a student at Sir Winston Churchill High School, and am currently in a Professional Development in the Arts program. The aim of this is to help us put our portfolios together and get a feel for art in the real world.

As a part of this program I am required to job shadow someone who works with art and/or mentor with a student who studies art at a post-secondary level. This would let me see some of the careers available to artists, and what art schools look for in a portfolio.

If there are any people that work in the arts, or post secondary art students, willing to sacrifice some of their time, please contact me through PM, e-mail ([email protected]), or post on this thread.

Thank you for your time.

Are you considering pursuing Art????

whatever happen to Sciences?!

or my advice, Business? heehe jk

Fivewayradio
02-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Call Critical Mass at 262.3006. Tell the receptionist your story and ask if you could job shadow one of their Art Directors.

ACAD is an excellent school and getting a degree from there can be a really rewarding experience. If you want to commit yourself to a life in the arts I'd highly recommend getting your start there.

Getting a job as an artist is extremely difficult and next to impossible in Alberta. But most artists make their own jobs anyways. It's almost guaranteed that you won't make a living as a painter or sculptor, or musician, or actor. On the other hand there are a number of arts related fields in which you make a perfectly good living if you're good.

Graphic Design and all it's related areas is an obvious one. That includes, desktop publishing (which is basically obsolete), web-design and development, interactive design, animation, computer modelling, motion graphics, illustration, etc. It's a pretty expansive field and there are lots of rewarding creative jobs in it.

You can also make a decent living as a photographer provided you're really good, though I'd probably be prepared to leave Calgary since there's not a lot of work here. Jewellery is another field that you can make a good living in.

It's a seriously tough slog trying to earn a living in a creative profession, but if that's what you love doing, then don't let anyone stop you from trying. I personally can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadnt gone to art school and become a designer. I think I'd probably be very very bored.

statick
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for all the help so far. T-im I'm not sure what I'm going to do in university/college, but art is definitely an option, and I need to do this for my current class anyway. Going down to U of C and ACAD did cross my mind, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd want to job shadow/interview someone with a profession in the art industry. That said, Fivewayradio please check PM :D .

Melinda
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
When does this shadowing need to be done by and how long do you need to do it for?

Shoebox//Racer
03-05-2005, 11:39 PM

how naive...

you take a pencil and paper and make a living. Good luck.

Im in ACAD right now, and although im in graphic design, many of the fine artists here can do a finished piece in anywhere from 30 mins to a few hours and sell it at our Local Show and Sell or sell their work privately for anywhere from 100-400$ and up to ... gawd.. any amount of money if they spend time on it or have a really good concept.

Sure they may not make as much as other careers, but its whatever keeps you happy right? On top of that, im sure they do art on the side of these 10-12$/hr jobs should they have one. so meh.

sorry if this comes off as bitter, not many people understand how hard this career path is.

eg. "pfff art school?? ur so lucky!! there is no work load at all in those schools, its soo easy compared to what im doing".

heh. like i said above, if you can make a living with a pencil and paper, or whatever ever other tools your facet of art uses, then i'll shut up =p

anyways, i'd come to ACAD and speak with the teachers here. Most of them work outside of teaching. And even if they have prior engagements, they may have contacts for you to try. Good luck!

statick
03-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
When does this shadowing need to be done by and how long do you need to do it for?

By may I need 8 hours of shadowing or mentoring, it does not all have to be with one person.

Shoebox//Racer, thanks for your reply, but if I were to ask an ACAD/UC professor for help, it would similar to asking a teacher at my school. So although it may be a good last resort, someone who is either a post-secondary art student or full-time artist (art related job field) would be ideal for me to shadow and/or mentor with.

Shoebox//Racer
03-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Have you thought about posting flyers @ acad or any other institution? Make a simple one with ur contact number on those little tabs at the bottom that people can rip off.

dunno how much luck you'll have but its worth a shot.

if you do decide to try this you need to speak with the Students Association to get your flyer approved, otherwise they'll take it down when they see it without a acadSA stamp.

goodluck.

statick
03-06-2005, 11:45 AM
^Please check PM.

Shoebox//Racer
03-07-2005, 09:59 AM
your turn statick =p,

check pm.