PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Centre Extender for XBOX

Fluidic
02-05-2005, 02:16 AM
This looks super interesting. Load the software and boom -- you're XBOX is something like a Tivo. Able to record and pause live TV. Microsoft is really making use of the 733mhz processor inside. Just upgrade the HD and you're golden! :bigpimp:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xboxmediacenterextender.htm

eblend
02-05-2005, 02:29 AM
its not really like that if i understand it correctly, i think basically all it is is a program that can interact with your window media center based pc over the network...basicly you get to see the visual and all the recorded stuff over your network through your mce pc.

"With a wired or wireless connection to the Media Center PC (sold separately), the Xbox console now allows you to enjoy the digital entertainment media from your PC when and how you want. "

so not really cool if u don't have one of those 2 grand media center pcs

Fluidic
02-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Well that sucks. Guess I better start to learn how to read a little more "in-depth" next time I make a thread.

Either way, I'm going to attempt to make a software interface for my XBOX to allow me to use it like a Tivo. Just have to figure out how to jack-in my satellite.

--- anyone have any suggestions? :)

GoChris
02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
probably easiest to record on a pc, get a capture card, then just play it on the xbox over the network

lint
02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic
Well that sucks. Guess I better start to learn how to read a little more "in-depth" next time I make a thread.

Either way, I'm going to attempt to make a software interface for my XBOX to allow me to use it like a Tivo. Just have to figure out how to jack-in my satellite.

--- anyone have any suggestions? :)

Don't think anyone has yet been able to hook up a video capture card in the XBox. Right now, you do need something else to capture the video, and you can play them on the xbox as a front end. I know there's been some work done on that with Win PVR.

Fluidic
02-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Hmmm....

How does the DVD player in the XBOX connect inside? I'm thinking something like an 80-pin IDE cable. What if I were to find or make an adaptor so that I could plug the cable into a capture card or something of the like?

GoChris
02-05-2005, 02:42 PM
and what, have the hard drive unplugged?
pretty much not gonna happen that way imo

lint
02-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Well you can split the ide and have multiple hard drives, so if you can rig a capture card that way, it would be an option. Haven't heard anything about that yet though, and I would have figured that someone would have tried it by now.

Fluidic
02-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by rlde.us
and what, have the hard drive unplugged?
pretty much not gonna happen that way imo

DVD drive, not HD drive. Think about it. ;)

Khyron
02-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Capture cards are PCI - the xbox has no slots. Drives are on IDE channels - you can't plug a pci device into one. Check www.xbox-scene.com for more info than you want to know.

M$ is really driving for people to all have media center PCs.

Khyron

SportTwin
02-05-2005, 06:23 PM
The Xbox's controllers are USB with a modified connector. I'm surprised that nobody has released a USB capture device that runs on a connector port on the front. A simple derivative of existing USB capture devices.