PDA

View Full Version : How about map sensor?

trackerthrasher
02-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Why don't I see more people changing out there single bar map sensors for two or three bar set-up's on their N/A engines (turned turbo).?There is probably somthing obvious here that I'm missing so go easy on me...Couldn't one just get the ecm to get a broader read range through a different MAP?

ls/vtec-crx
02-08-2005, 11:52 AM
on hondas that i know of anyways you can use the stock map sensor up too 11 psi of boost...........and alot of the cars na turned turbo usually don't run more than 9 or 10 psi of boost

legendboy
02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
:werd:

Most turbo setups around town arn't making big power and < 12psi.

coolcat123
02-08-2005, 01:16 PM
people do upgrade.

The stock 1.8 bar honda map sensor can only read to 9.25 psi (obd0) and 10.65 psi (obd1) due to physical contruction that limits the diaphram travel. People usually don't run much more then that on stock (honda) blocks.

When you upgrade to a larger map sensor (gm 2, 2.25 and 3 bar) you have to scale the code within the ecu, the gaps between readings and changes become larger and tuning becomes less efficient(espcially with obd0). This is why 'big boost' guys usually upgrade to some sort of EMS.

That being said, for a street setup, or even a mild race setup, running over 1 bar will still make plenty of power and be safe on stock non turbo ecu hardware.

:)