PDA

View Full Version : Is your car a survivor?

habsfan
02-05-2005, 04:00 PM
so how many of you out there have/had a car that took a beating but didnt want to quit? i was just thinking today, and realized that the family camry has been through no less than 7 collisions since we've owned it, and yet nothing mechanical has ever needed repair and the entire drivetrain is a smooth as the day we bought the car, even though the mileage is now well above 250k. anyone else have a "survivor car" story to tell?

A790
02-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I had a 91 Civic SE hatch that took absolutely everything I threw at it with ease. I went offroading in that bloody thing and it still went.

God I miss that car :)

Kirbs17
02-05-2005, 04:17 PM
My Excel that I drove in the summer. That thing was a beast. The previous owners had been a couple fender benders with that thing, and I was even lightly rear ended in it, and It took it all like a champ. Rust everywhere, couldnt make it over 110 on the highway, but damn, great on gas, same gas mileage as my jetta gets almost.

A_3
02-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I took my Cadillac through more then it's fair share. The car was a tank, it went through a couple ditches, a street sign, one or two fender benders and barely had a scratch on her. She ended up making it to km275 000 before the tranny took her down, but prior to 215 000 she never had one mechanical problem. I'm pretty sure she would have held her own in Iraq as a tank if you added a couple guns and some better tires.

ryder_23
02-05-2005, 05:11 PM
^
and a better driver...

My families camry has been threw alot as well. Been hit twice, sandwiched, and ran into a few things :rofl: shes still going strong, 190 000km, only replaced axles and power steering pump...so not too shabby

A_3
02-05-2005, 05:15 PM
^
I think the camry took more damage then the cadi did, I remember when you knocked the side mirror off swerving for a "deer" ;)

Skyline_Addict
02-05-2005, 05:16 PM
most decent cars can last well into 200000 km given that they are mechanically well cared for (regular oil changes, generally maintanence every 5-7k km). this is assuming you haven't smashed into a brick wall several times, of course.

ryder_23
02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
The manual said that the camry is a complete offroad machine...i'm sure habsfan has figured that out, not my fault mirrors and trees dont go well together.

Zoom_Zoom
02-05-2005, 05:44 PM
My cuzn rented a Kia Rio down in the middle east, we took it offroading, did burnouts very time we'd stop, e-brakes on dry pavement, u name it we did it and when we returned it they didn't even know anything happened to it.

then we tryed a 300E, that thing couldn't take the beating and started overheating

habsfan
02-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
The manual said that the camry is a complete offroad machine...i'm sure habsfan has figured that out,

what on earth are you talking about??? :angel: :angel:

ApexDrift
02-05-2005, 06:03 PM
87 accord, 274000 km, 3 accidents, oil changed when we feel like it... its one of the cars that you dont spend money on repairs because its going to die sooner or later, but it JUST WONT DIE...

oh yeah -40 weather cold start no problem!~

finboy
02-05-2005, 06:47 PM
my car has been to the boneyard and back :rofl:

ecstasy_civic
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
my 93 civic si went to hell and back with me lol

I beat that car to the extent of wondering if it would start the next time I turned the key, went 125,000 without having the timing belt done and kept the beating going until the day I sold it.

I too miss that car very much:cry:

90Tegra
02-05-2005, 10:00 PM
when my dad was a taxi driver his lincoln Town Car went all the way to 670 000km:eek: on it until the engine blow up. the body is mint and i have it at my shop just someday might drop a engine and drive it

DonJuan
02-05-2005, 11:39 PM
my 88 Nissan Hardbdy 2wd pickup. From Sept to Feb got it's share of Waiprous, -50, winter drifting, and constant trips to 7500k RPM (redlines at 6k) but it always started, never was pluged in, -50 it started (a whole lot of brownish red smoke plumed out, and stalled when I let the clutch out in neutral), bought it for $400 sold it for $400, all I did was change the oil regular and drive the crap out of it.

CryoCarnage
02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
My dads 86 Jetta TDI. man that thing was a beast. Ran strong at 500k. It was soo cool to drive that thing, even burnouts were fun :thumbsup:. But a las it dies in the summer of 01 when a crane dropped a crate full of salmon at my dads loading company.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: That was my survivor.

CelicaST-162
02-06-2005, 12:59 AM
1988 Toyota Corolla Wagon....Back when I was 16 and stupid....drove the crap out of that thing, drifting, 4x4ing you name it. Even drove the crap out of it when it was bone dry of oil...no knocking...nothing but smooth idle.

The Pathfinder is holding up very well, except I have wisend(sp?, or even a word?) up a little and it gets the occasional off roading beating:)

Ben
02-06-2005, 01:32 AM
My old jetta, man that thing got the beat down.

Loved my WOT cold starts.

Gspotracer
02-06-2005, 02:36 AM
87 Chevy Astro Van, its got 450,000km +/-(hard to tell cause the speedometer has been replaced more than once) my parents bought it with 8000km on it, I drove it, my brother & sister both drove it, we towed boats & trailers every summer with it.Original drivetrain, transmisson finally went about 5 months ago.

Proof that regular maintainance will make your vehicle last :thumbsup:

Chris88CL
02-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Check the link below and download the "Dukes Of Corsica" video. Its large, but hilarious.

http://www.gmfwd.com/pn/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

streetarab
02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
my car, the 86 caprice, its my first car and its still goin after two years, i learned how to do everything in that car, from driftin to rally racin, reversing then spinnin the car around, snow-dirt-mud-water-rocks-trees-honda civics(awesome day), its been used for pretty much everything, only been in one minor accident, have a dent in the fender, but what ive done is much worse, last summer i hit a tree in the woods doin about 30 sideways, i only lost a piece of moldin, slidin the hood like the dukes, paintballin it for fun, seein how many snow banks i can go through before i stop, random "brake tests" i really love this car,

VetteRacin
02-06-2005, 11:20 AM
A friend of mine had a older big blue buick century 4dr that we did everything to, from drifting to offroading to jumping it lol, not to mention everything else we did to it like your normal stupid stuff but that car just would not die no matter what we through at it, after a few years of this teatment he finally bought a new vehicle and gave the Buick to the fire sept. to destroy, man that car was a blast, and definatly was a survivor

DuPont
02-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by streetarab
my car, the 86 caprice, its my first car and its still goin after two years, i learned how to do everything in that car, from driftin to rally racin, reversing then spinnin the car around, snow-dirt-mud-water-rocks-trees-honda civics(awesome day), its been used for pretty much everything, only been in one minor accident, have a dent in the fender, but what ive done is much worse, last summer i hit a tree in the woods doin about 30 sideways, i only lost a piece of moldin, slidin the hood like the dukes, paintballin it for fun, seein how many snow banks i can go through before i stop, random "brake tests" i really love this car,

That sounds like what my old '85 Olds 88 Regency Brougham went through. :D Great car to learn how to drive in. Till the tranny went into full melt-down after some Sask-style cat 'n mouse in summer fallow fields vs. a Toyota Corona, and the tranny cooler getting jammed-full of stubble and dirt... good times.:poosie: