PDA

View Full Version : Chips in Key

Si_FlyGuy
12-20-2002, 02:05 AM
How effective are those chips in the car keys for deterring theft? Is it common in Calgary for thieves to have access to the right tools to bypass that?

Weapon_R
12-20-2002, 02:13 AM
They're not easy to steal...

ancient
12-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Everything is bypassed, in one way another nothing is going to prevent them from stealing it if they really want it. Just a deterrant.

szw
12-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Provided the theives have already got into your car (not scared off by alarms or lights) I think the computer security is the best shot you have, when compared to alarm immobilizers.

OPGForce
12-20-2002, 08:22 AM
All the new Honda Civic's(2001-UP) have this chip in the key. Based on what I heard off of 7thgencivic.com (http://www.7thgencivic.com), there have not been very many thefts. Compare this with the old generation of Civic's, and you'll be happy you bought the newer generation of Civic's. :D

95acc
12-20-2002, 09:11 AM
The new transponder units in most vehicles are veryvery hard to bypass. This will protect your car from most thieves. The only one that c an bypass these chips are not going to waste there time on Honda's. These guys are big time i do not belive there are many if any thieves that could bypass them in Calgary.

Hipermax_d
12-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by OPGForce
All the new Honda Civic's(2001-UP) have this chip in the key. Based on what I heard off of 7thgencivic.com (http://www.7thgencivic.com), there have not been very many thefts. Compare this with the old generation of Civic's, and you'll be happy you bought the newer generation of Civic's. :D

or many might steal the 6th gen more over the 7th gen because it looks better and most common for mods

Si_FlyGuy
12-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I read in some silly magazine a few months ago that the 7th gen civics respond very well to just a simple CAI though. Apparently they dyno'ed it at a 11hp increase just from a silly dilly intake. Not sure which trimline they used, but I'm guessing Si, since baseline was at 110ish.

redline_13000
12-20-2002, 01:15 PM
these keys make the cars harder to steal...but there is always a way past them...such as master keys.

OPGForce
12-20-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I read in some silly magazine a few months ago that the 7th gen civics respond very well to just a simple CAI though. Apparently they dyno'ed it at a 11hp increase just from a silly dilly intake. Not sure which trimline they used, but I'm guessing Si, since baseline was at 110ish.

:bullshit: With i/h/e from DC Sports, they only got 5-8 WHP. Save your money and get suspension mods. Also, getting a full catback would be a waste also, try looking into "rear-section bolt ons"(HKS Hiper) if your going for some looks. If you need advice on what suspension mods to get, PM me.

Si_FlyGuy
12-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Too bad I'm in a recession:(

kenny
12-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Nothing stops a tow truck if they really want your car! =)

SilverRex
12-21-2002, 01:13 AM
welp my I have that for my subaru, not chip in the key but a chip beside my key without the extra wireless chip to give the signal it wont allow the car to start ...

im sure a professional car theive can steal anycar given time is not the factor but it is so any thing u can delay there time to steal ur car makes ur car less of a target..

redbaron303
12-22-2002, 01:16 AM
If you don't have the key and you're an amature the car will just shut off... I know cause I had a key cut improperly for a car when I was working for a dealership and the damn jeep wouldn't start for more than 10 seconds and would die.

Now if you see a car like an new Acura TL or someting with a transponder key, they usually need a key in the car for it to start... which means the autostart people have akey somewhere under their dash close to the device that kills the car if the key isn't present.... or at least thats my experience and how we had the auto start systems installed in these kinds of cars....

Si_FlyGuy
12-22-2002, 01:23 AM
So you're saying that by getting a remote starter, you're nullifying the function of the transponder? That's nuts...

RickDaTuner
12-22-2002, 05:11 AM
yeah With the 01 03 Nissan Models the Chip in the Key is tied Directly into the ECU no Key no start, there is no known way to bypass this type of Security Featureunless Of course youahve another key, but to get one requires 2 months and Recognition of ownership from the Dealer and a copy of the Veichles Registrarton, wich need to Be sent out to Nissan HQ in good ole JAPAN

12V
12-23-2002, 08:00 PM
transponder can not be bypassed with any module, you need to have the key to start the car, even when you install remote starters in the car you need a copy of the key then you have to do a "key wrap" and an "ignition wrap" this trick's the car into thinking the key is in the ignition, and it doesn't disable the transponder it just "tricks" it during start up. any good shop will snap the bottom of the key off so that the thieves can't steal the car withg your own key, Anyone who says that they can bypass a transponder with a key is full of BS, because even to duplicate a key you need a copy of the original.

SpoonEK9@STRD
12-23-2002, 08:14 PM
when you buy a new nissan, they tell you if your car gets stolen within a year of purchase they will replace your car...

thats how sure they are it will work...