PDA

View Full Version : Why are Quebec used Cars so cheap???

Stratus_Power
02-06-2005, 02:12 AM
i just notice on canadatrader.ca that ALOT of cars from Quebec are very cheap.. like many 32k STi, RX8, etc.

why are they so cheap? wats the catch? what do i need to do if I want to purchase one from there? just out of province inspection?

nhlfan
02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
because french people are absolute imhumanly bad drivers, smash them up, and have to keep buying new ones.

:dunno:

Phuqu
02-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Rust?

nismodrifter
02-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Ontario/Quebec cars are cheaper for a variety of reasons but I think especially when dealing with newer cars its basically due to the size of the market. They have way more people there, which means they have alot more cars then we do.....hence lower prices...

big_k
02-06-2005, 02:35 AM
i'm not sure why they are cheaper, but i would not reccomend buying a car from there. They have some 6 month rule or something, that says, if your car is written off, you can wait 6 months, fix and it then register it again. and car fax does not always catch it. when a friend was looking at buying a car, he found one he liked, i got my dad to run the VINs as he works for the insurance buero of canada, so he runs them for free, and has more sources than just carfax, turns out the car was written off, and was previously in quebec, so it was repaired there, and then brought here. kinda rambled on, but yeah, i think it makes sense, and also, carfax did not pick up on the fact that it was written off.

nismodrifter
02-06-2005, 02:45 AM
FYI: Carfax for canadian cars is pretty much useless

ryder_23
02-06-2005, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by big_k
i'm not sure why they are cheaper, but i would not reccomend buying a car from there. They have some 6 month rule or something, that says, if your car is written off, you can wait 6 months, fix and it then register it again.

I was under the impression, written off cars can get salvage titles and be rebuilt, and i dont think they have to wait 6months, in ab atleast. Maybe thats only in us.

And said above, market/rust is a problem in the eastern provinces.

big_k
02-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

I was under the impression, written off cars can get salvage titles and be rebuilt, and i dont think they have to wait 6months, in ab atleast. Maybe thats only in us.

And said above, market/rust is a problem in the eastern provinces.

as far as i know, once a car is written off in alberta, it can not be registered again. legally that is

Ben
02-06-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i just notice on canadatrader.ca that ALOT of cars from Quebec are very cheap.. like many 32k STi, RX8, etc.

why are they so cheap? wats the catch? what do i need to do if I want to purchase one from there? just out of province inspection?

Supply and demand.

Calgary, or Alberta for that matter is probably one of the most expensive urban placed to buy a car in Canada because of it's lack of major ports, shipping routes etc. Plus there are far more people in Ontario and Quebec, as well as Vancouver and area than there is here.

Make sure you FULLY inspect the cars out east before you buy them, rust is HUGE out there!!!

CryoCarnage
02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Since i live here i think i can answer it the best :) . Anyway eeryoen has made good points. Our supply and demand is well off here especially when living in a fully packed residentail. as foor rust, most of the people here dont knwo how to take care of their freakin cars and then they get refurbished/repaired. Anyway i do not suggest buying them unless you actualy get to see the cras in person.

ninspeed
02-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by big_k

as far as i know, once a car is written off in alberta, it can not be registered again. legally that is
It has to be recertified by a shop, and will carry a "repaired" status on the title card.

hollywood_35
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
In my opinion I think that the cars are cheaper for a combination of reasons. Number one because they do tend to drive the hell out of their cars. They also have a lot of problems with rust out there, as mentioned before. And it is a big possibility that the cars have been wrecked and rebuilt. I was wondering the same thing while I was on canadatrader.com looking for cars. My advice, if you find a cheap car dig as deep as you can to find history on the car. :devil:

cloud7
02-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Calgary, or Alberta for that matter is probably one of the most expensive urban placed to buy a car in Canada

I second that... many people have gotten rich from bringing cars from out east to resell here.

legendboy
02-07-2005, 09:40 AM
cars from the east are rotten from the type of salt they use (and how much they use)

awd
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Many of the cheap cars are "salvaged" rebuilds.

heavyD
02-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Cars develope cancer in Ontario & Quebec years earlier than we are accustomed to in the West due to the amount of salts used out east combined with the humid weather. Plus as some have stated there is a larger pool of vehicles to choose from.

Zero102
02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Cars out east usually see more severe driving than they do out here. A lot of them have spent their entire lives in stop and go traffic, for much longer periods than we experience out here. This adds up over a period of time, and you will probably find you're replacing brakes, clutches, etc, at much sooner times than you would with a car that has been driven around here. Also already mentioned is the rust problem. Between the rather humid weather, and the greatly increased quantities of salt they put on their roads, you will find a lot of undercarriage rust. Now, you shouldn't see that on most newer cars, and for what it's worth, most new cars come with a 10 or 15 year corrosion warranty.

Chandler_Racing
02-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
cars from the east are rotten from the type of salt they use (and how much they use)
Exactly. Try and take a bolt off a 94 integra from the east, best of luck to ya.

legendboy
02-07-2005, 02:54 PM
easiest way to tell if a late model car is from the east, look under the drivers seat, at the front bolts holding the seat down. if its an eastern car thoes bolts will almost always be rusty.

heavyD
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
and for what it's worth, most new cars come with a 10 or 15 year corrosion warranty.

Yeah but there is a loophole in that they won't cover anything unlest the rust is perforating through. My wife's 2002 Protege 5 had rust bubbles on the hatch after only three years and Sunridge basically said "come back when the bubbles turn to holes".