PDA

View Full Version : Drying off........

Jerms
02-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey I was just wondering what is the best way to dry off your car after you get a wash, without having to worry about scratching it or leaving apparent "circle lines" on the car?

It seems alot of people use shamies (sp?), but I head good and bad things about it, on how it leaves "circle lines" on your car, but if it is a good method, how do you apply it to when drying your car?

Also I heard about the california wiper blade?? how does that work?

Thanks

DUBBED
02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
diapers.... seriously.

If you go to canadian tire they have diaper cloth packs that work great. Come in packs of 3 or something.

t-im
02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
maybe it's just me..but I just use old body towels and tee shirts...i'm sure it's not the best way to dry a car but meh

oddjob
02-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Its actually spelled chamoise. haha

DelSoln
02-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I use a blade. Just start from the top of the car and move downwards. It flicks off all the water. However it does take awhile to dry off the whole car.

DuPont
02-06-2005, 10:58 PM
2 micro-fiber cloths. 1st one to remove all large water drops, and puddles, 2nd one another time around to leave absolutely NO water marks. Gauranteed not to leave swirls and scratches.

turbotrip
02-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by t-im
maybe it's just me..but I just use old body towels and tee shirts...i'm sure it's not the best way to dry a car but meh
:werd:

Jon Boi
02-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I've heard great things about using cloth diapers, and use them myslef. The fabric is soft enough that it does not harm the paint, and they are obviously obsorbant!!!

Sky
02-09-2005, 01:17 AM
micro fiber cloth is AWESOME.....didn't know what it could do until I tried one...and WOW!

ZorroAMG
02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
California water blade and a chamois.

Jerms
02-16-2005, 08:03 PM
how do you apply the chamois??

is it soak it in water and the ring out the excess water,
then apply the chamois and just pull on the edges and repeat?

how do you use it??

gggunit
03-02-2005, 04:56 PM
get an air blower.. from buysell.com.. works awesome especially for the spring polish

liztic
03-02-2005, 07:26 PM
i watched a show a while back about a guy that does car detailing for the likes of 50 cent, gov. arnold etc..............he bought his clotes/towels from a shop that carried strictly supplies for babies........

anyone ever use those mr clean carwash sprayers?

88CRX
03-02-2005, 09:03 PM
deerfoot trail for 2 minutes

Uncle ben
03-02-2005, 10:18 PM
water blade, then microfiber cloth to tke car of the door jambs and whatever's left over. I tryed the chamois, but I kept forgetting to wet it at the car wash, and microfiber works better anyways, no spots!

BokCh0y
03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I just went out and bought a nice fat bath towel - super soft. After I'm done I throw it in the wash with some fabirc softener. I was also thinking about picking up one of those California water blades. I hear it does wonders.

Bonka
03-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Terrycloth towel.

I use straight hose water (no nozzle). After finished washing, I turn down the water flow to about 1/3 (little water pressure) and hose down the car. Gets rid of most water puddles on the car. I blot the excess with the towel (no back-and-forth motions). Works great.

Actually, I like the diaper cloth idea.

BlackArcher101
03-03-2005, 03:02 AM
leather chamois is the way to go

vietdood
03-03-2005, 03:19 AM
chamois is what we used to dry off cars when i used to work at an autobody. pretty much just dry the car as if you're using a paper towel, except on black cars. because creases in the chamois will scratch the clear coat and it will stand out. with black cars, you need to keep the chamois nice and flat.

Uncle ben
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I just went out and bought a nice fat bath towel - super soft. After I'm done I throw it in the wash with some fabirc softener. I was also thinking about picking up one of those California water blades. I hear it does wonders.

Fabric softener will leave a residue on your paint.

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Uncle ben

Fabric softener will leave a residue on your paint.

Seriously? Thanks for the tip. Remind me to fire the wife!!!!:D

rhiebert
03-14-2005, 12:14 AM
If the wax job is still good, water shouldn't stay on. Mine has Amsoil's Car Polish. I also use Amsoil's Miracle Wash which is an aresol spray that works real slick and easy. The water hardly sticks. Parked in the garage overnight, it's all dry by morning with hardly any marks, streaks etc. Just needs a quick buff in a few spots.
RH

cycosis
03-14-2005, 12:51 AM
im telling u, vinegar works best for glass, jsut put soem in a spray bottle and guaranteed no streaks left regardless of what kind of towel you're using, however i wouldnt use it on your paint beign that it is an acid....

Bonka
03-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Vinegar is safe on paint. It's great for removing waterspots.

Buldog
03-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Bonka
Terrycloth towel.

I use straight hose water (no nozzle). After finished washing, I turn down the water flow to about 1/3 (little water pressure) and hose down the car. Gets rid of most water puddles on the car. I blot the excess with the towel (no back-and-forth motions). Works great.

Actually, I like the diaper cloth idea.

New to the forum and this is the best idea. I've tried it and it works, hardly any water left on the surface as it sheets most of it away. I use 100% cotton towels and cut the sewn part out. The less you rub the less swirls in the clear coat. Yep blot the surface.

VIP_style
03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I have always used sheepskin chamois. All I have to do is rinse it down and drag it across the car- it doesn't leave and circle marks because im not drying in a circular motion. If there are any remaining water spots I just spray on a little vinegar & water, then dry it off with some plain old cotton cloth. Works well for me!!

Buldog
03-17-2005, 05:36 PM
The only problem with a chamois is that if there is a bit of dirt that gets caught under it, it will possibly scratch the clear coat.
The thick cotton towel or micro fibre gives a little more room for the dirt to get away from the surface. California blades have a similar effect, can drag dirt.