PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket today

camaro
02-07-2005, 01:38 AM
So yeah...I haven't driven my Camaro since about November when it started snowing.....So it's been sitting in front of my house since then..Well the other day I looked out on the window and there was a ticket for "Abandoned Vehicle"...I was like WTF...I have 10 days to get it corrected...I think it's complete bs..The car is in my driveway... :rolleyes:

Gspotracer
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
that happened to me once, they didn't give me a ticket they just towed my K-car, I was pissed, the car wasn't worth the $60 to get it back:thumbsdow

Superesc
02-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by camaro
So yeah...I haven't driven my Camaro since about November when it started snowing.....So it's been sitting in front of my house since then..Well the other day I looked out on the window and there was a ticket for "Abandoned Vehicle"...I was like WTF...I have 10 days to get it corrected...I think it's complete bs..The car is in my driveway... :rolleyes:

?? so was the car parked On the street infront of your house? or Parked In your property (Private Driveway)?

Zero102
02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
If it's in your driveway, then that is BS, if it's on the street, then that ticket will stand.

From the sounds of it, it was in your driveway. As long as the car is in running and driving condition, I don't believe they can give you that ticket on private property.

sputnik
02-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
If it's in your driveway, then that is BS, if it's on the street, then that ticket will stand.

From the sounds of it, it was in your driveway. As long as the car is in running and driving condition, I don't believe they can give you that ticket on private property.

If its on the street they can only give you a ticket if your plates arent registered to a house/apartment on the street. They should have tried calling you to let you know that a 72 hr notice was put on the car (big orange tag on the window).

Also, they rarely ticket cars on residential streets unless one of your neighbours complains.

Tyler883
02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Also, if your car is liscenced and registered, the 72 hr limit does not apply within a "block and a half" of your house. I called the calgary parking authority about this a year ago.

Your neighbor can park in front of your house for a week, and there's nothing you can do about it. However, if your neighbor's friend tries the same thing, you can have him towed

Zero102
02-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I did not know that was exempt if you live within 1 1/2 blocks. That's pretty cool.
So, this ticket is definately BS.

I don't believe they have to call you if they leave the 72 hour notice on your car. If it's out front of your house, you should be able to see it when you come home.

Did they issue you one of those as well?

D. Dub
02-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Here's a Q&A quote from the City of Calgary site.

Looks like a neighbor ratted you out and you're SOL. :thumbsdow

the key to your problem is this line here

"However, public streets and alleys are not intended for long-term storage of unused vehicles"

and if you've been there since November that's long term.

Can I park a derelict vehicle on city streets and alleys?

Derelict vehicles may not be parked on city streets and alleys. Such illegally parked vehicles reported to the CPA are impounded.

Can I park my unused vehicle adjacent to my own home?

Yes. Provided your vehicle is roadworthy, registered, insured and is legally parked in a residential area, it will normally not be a cause of concern. However, public streets and alleys are not intended for long-term storage of unused vehicles.

How are derelict vehicles enforced and by whom?

The CPA acts to remove derelict vehicles only upon receipt of a complaint call from a concerned area resident. The CPS (Calgary Police Service) may also take any actions they deem necessary. Responsible vehicle owners who are considerate of the neighbourhood will not experience problems with enforcement agencies.

What can I do if I receive an orange NOTICE sticker on my vehicle?

A fluorescent orange sticker may be applied when there is some question regarding the status of a vehicle. If you find a notice on your vehicle, call the CPA at (403) 537-7100 for a full explanation and steps to avoid impoundment.

Khyron
02-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Here's a Q&A quote from the City of Calgary site.

Looks like a neighbor ratted you out and you're SOL. :thumbsdow

the key to your problem is this line here

He said the car was in his private driveway, not the street?

People store boats, motorhomes and cars in driveways all the time - it is certainly not illegal as long as it's your property. The only thing I can think of is if it was some sort of horrible eyesore on blocks - neighbours can make complaints that way, but it has to be pretty bad. I'm guessing he left it in the road, and THEN decided to move it into the driveway after getting a ticket...

Khyron

D. Dub
02-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

I'm guessing he left it in the road, and THEN decided to move it into the driveway after getting a ticket...

Khyron

I agree.... even the original post sounds like it had:

"been sitting in front of my house"

then he got the ticket and then

"The car is in my driveway... "

camaro
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
It was literally in my driveway not the street. I still have no snow under my car on the driveway as proof. Its my property so im wondering why they didn't even bother coming to my door. :dunno: Pretty BS.

BebeAphrodite
02-07-2005, 05:56 PM
literally in my driveway not the street

What does this mean --> "literally" meaning partially on the driveway/street? Because you're right, if it was on ur driveway, then it's BS.

D. Dub
02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
It was literally in my driveway not the street. I still have no snow under my car on the driveway as proof. Its my property so im wondering why they didn't even bother coming to my door. :dunno: Pretty BS.

If it was IN YOUR driveway they wouldn't have, couldn't have done a thing.

Which begs the question.....what aren't you telling us?!?!?

oddjob
02-07-2005, 08:54 PM
You're the guy with the silver 98 Camaro? I live right by you!

88CRX
02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
lol oddjob ratted you out.

"literaly" on your driveway? wtf does that mean?