PDA

View Full Version : Calgary's Official 5th Gen Lude Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

JordanAndrew
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Misfires are fairly common in the Prelude. Try to clean the EGR valve and EGR ports if you haven't had a chance to do it as it's most likely that. I know it worked when I did it in my prelude, another friend did is to her prelude as well and everything worked out.

98Luder
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a brand new oem honda typeS front lip, never used never installed
it's prepainted from the factory Flamenco black
unfortunately i dno't have a prelude anymore and i'll have to sell it now
i bought it almost a year and a half ago and never installed it, back when exchange rate was kinda bad.
I'm loking for 350+shipping (edmonton) + paypal fees

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/2248320096_b59c459fc6.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2231/2248320032_f726be59b7_o.jpg

more pic's here if you wanna see
Flickr: Photos from mrjkchan (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14323905@N06/)

1-Bar
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
^you bastard, hahaha, I would have bought that when I had my lude, where were you 2 years ago???

takedown
02-09-2008, 02:22 AM
there's no real point in getting a VTEC controller unless I have some type of forced induction, like a supercharger, correct?

buh_buh
02-09-2008, 03:50 AM
you can squeeze out some ponies stock. You'd want more than just a VAFC if you had any sort of FI though.

1-Bar
02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
8 points of tuning isn't enough, and you can find more power and be more safe with hondata/uberdata setup....

buh_buh
02-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I'll give that a try when its a little warmer out, thanks Jordan.

98Luder
02-11-2008, 12:14 AM
i got a set of jdm fogs for BB6 prelude for sale
the housing/brackets are brand new
the interior/exterior harness
relay/interior switch is new
i took pic's today but the exterior harness is not in the pic's
i will take more later with the exterior harness
still in very good condition
lookin for 375+shipping from Edmonton Alberta

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2192/2256505617_5307bc7547.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2256505423_3db8967fb9.jpg

more photos here (http://flickr.com/photos/14323905@N06/)

JordanAndrew
02-11-2008, 12:28 AM
haha damn it, what's up with all these prelude items suddenly going on sale when I don't have my Preludes anymore. (I had 2)

Ah well, good price for these.

98Luder
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
yea i'm going back in time now
98 prelude to a old rusty eg
it's wat happens when you get married and hav ea mortgage :nut:

5hift
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Questions for the Experts ... Properly lowering the Lude and upsizing the wheels

So I apologize if this sounds very repeititve, as I have done my research, but it seems the more I do, the more complicated even just lowering my car seems to get. Any advice from the lude experts would be greatly appriciated.

Right now I'm sitting at stock height on 17" crappy aftermarkets I got for free with my 2000 SH. Finally this summer, I have some cash to waste on lowering my car and getting better wheels.

I want to both lower my car and upgrade to 18" wheels. With upgrading the wheels, I've read on this and other forums that 18's are too big for the prelude. I was hoping to get opinions from those who have actually run 18's. Right now my 17's dont feel big at all, so I dont see how increasing the rim 1" will make a huge difference (esp since my current 17's are not light and I would go after lightweight 18s).

Secondly I want to lower my car but there seems to be a million ways to go and problems that come out of doing this.

1) First off, the wheel gap in the back is much more than in the front. Can this be corrected by adjusting the springs or is it supposed to have more gap for the back wheels?
2) Secondly which struts/springs are the best to use? All I want to really do is lower the car for appearence purposes; although I do occationally do some spirited driving, I'm not tracking the car, so any handling upgrades would just be a bonus. I also dont want my ride quality to go completely to shit as I'm on the road a lot. Would GC's and Koni yellows be a good fit for this (they seem to be the most popular)?
3)Tire rubbing issues - I've read that that plastic edging inside the rear wheel wheels needs to be cut out or it will constantly rub and scrape up the tires ... has anyone dealt with this
4) The rear "clunking" noise that seems to be a constant problem on all prelude forums for many who have lowered their 5th gens.
5) Recently I've been reading about lude owners using "bump stops"? or something similar to prevent noise associated with lowering.
6) What kind of drop should I be targeting/ how much finger gap if I still will be using this as a daily driver and dont want crazy rubbing issues?
7) anything else I missed out on or should know.

I apologize for how long this is, I just want to make sure I know what to expect and if its worth it before I just jump in and make the upgrades. Thanks in advance.

1-Bar
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I've ridden on 17s and 18s. 18s are too big for the car.....17s suit it nicely. For 18s the side wall was way to small and it was scary riding on mugens in this city.....

Destinova403
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Questions for the Experts ... Properly lowering the Lude and upsizing the wheels

So I apologize if this sounds very repeititve, as I have done my research, but it seems the more I do, the more complicated even just lowering my car seems to get. Any advice from the lude experts would be greatly appriciated.

Right now I'm sitting at stock height on 17" crappy aftermarkets I got for free with my 2000 SH. Finally this summer, I have some cash to waste on lowering my car and getting better wheels.

I want to both lower my car and upgrade to 18" wheels. With upgrading the wheels, I've read on this and other forums that 18's are too big for the prelude. I was hoping to get opinions from those who have actually run 18's. Right now my 17's dont feel big at all, so I dont see how increasing the rim 1" will make a huge difference (esp since my current 17's are not light and I would go after lightweight 18s).

Secondly I want to lower my car but there seems to be a million ways to go and problems that come out of doing this.

1) First off, the wheel gap in the back is much more than in the front. Can this be corrected by adjusting the springs or is it supposed to have more gap for the back wheels?
2) Secondly which struts/springs are the best to use? All I want to really do is lower the car for appearence purposes; although I do occationally do some spirited driving, I'm not tracking the car, so any handling upgrades would just be a bonus. I also dont want my ride quality to go completely to shit as I'm on the road a lot. Would GC's and Koni yellows be a good fit for this (they seem to be the most popular)?
3)Tire rubbing issues - I've read that that plastic edging inside the rear wheel wheels needs to be cut out or it will constantly rub and scrape up the tires ... has anyone dealt with this
4) The rear "clunking" noise that seems to be a constant problem on all prelude forums for many who have lowered their 5th gens.
5) Recently I've been reading about lude owners using "bump stops"? or something similar to prevent noise associated with lowering.
6) What kind of drop should I be targeting/ how much finger gap if I still will be using this as a daily driver and dont want crazy rubbing issues?
7) anything else I missed out on or should know.

I apologize for how long this is, I just want to make sure I know what to expect and if its worth it before I just jump in and make the upgrades. Thanks in advance.

1: drop the front and back equally or the car will end up looking like its tipping backwards... the gap is supposed to be a little bit more in the back to give the car a more level look.

2: im gonig with Koni and GC as well seems to be the best option for this application. however an alternative to them would be tein s-tech springs which would give you a 1.5 drop but no adjustability

3: you will probably need to shave that plastic piece but the bigger issue with regards to wheel rub will be the rim size and offset. with 18s you should be looking for a rim and tire combo that follows these guidelines or youll need to roll your fenders or use spacers. 18 x 7.5 rims with tire size: 225/35/18. the rims MUST have an offset of +48 - +52 to be completely safe and rims that are 8 inches wide WILL NOT fit in your wheelwell... so get 7.5s

refer to this thread for more info on this:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=106390

4: the clunk will always be there... i get it with my stock setup... and from what iv read its a common annoyance.

5: really no idea... havent read that but it cant be good to have the car riding on bump-stops all the time... rough ride and no suspension travel

6: i would do a drop of 1.5 inches but its really up to you. any lower than that looks to be too much IMHO and you might end up needing to tuck your tires... and you will sacrafice daily drivability

7: if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

one more resource which might be useful is a DIY guide to suspension install on the 5th gen lude.

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270244

EDIT: one final thing i forgot... i noticed how your car is an SH...

when picking your suspension parts you gotta follow this

both parts must be either SH or Base... you cant mix and match eg: SH springs with base shocks.

i believe you can use either or

rc2002
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
18's are fine on a prelude. The tires sizes that are recommended are 215/40 and 225/35. The 225/35 are a closer tire height but they're more expensive and have less sidewall protection.

GC/Koni Yellow is a good combination - a lot of people are running it. It lets you dial in height and stiffness. Basically you play with it until you're happy with it - Using a finger rule or two finger rule isn't going to apply universally.

The piece inside your rear wheel well should be removed regardless. Water collects in it and aids the rear quarter panel rusting problem that plagues Hondas.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

If you are able to attend DTP you can see how my koni/gc setup looks on 17's. If you're around when we roll out I'd be happy to let you come for a quick drive and see how the ride quality feels, listen for clunking etc. You can hear a hundred opinions and make a decision based on them but it's always nice to experience it firsthand.

Jlude
05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I had 18s on 215/35s... never had a problem..

except for calgary roads... went through a few rims! haha

Destinova403
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I had 18s on 215/35s... never had a problem..

except for calgary roads... went through a few rims! haha

i have 17s and i just wrecked a rim last night... car is grounded for a week and a half :(:(:(

Jlude
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

i have 17s and i just wrecked a rim last night... car is grounded for a week and a half :(:(:(

damn calgary roads...

Destinova403
05-20-2008, 09:59 PM

damn calgary roads...

:werd:... all it takes is one pot-hole to flush away a nice chunk of change and leave you car-less while you wait for a new rim to get in :(

the worst part was that i couldnt avoid it... it was heavy traffic and i saw it coming and couldnt swerve...

Jlude
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM

:werd:... all it takes is one pot-hole to flush away a nice chunk of change and leave you car-less while you wait for a new rim to get in :(

the worst part was that i couldnt avoid it... it was heavy traffic and i saw it coming and couldnt swerve...

I had 35 series tires before, but never again... not in calgary.

Destinova403
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM

I had 35 series tires before, but never again... not in calgary.

yeah mine are 40s... next time i buy a set of rims i think im just going to get a 5th as a spare and keep it in my garage just incase...

Primer_Drift
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone got a 5th gen OEM front and rear bumper for sale? :P

RATM
07-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Prelude's are c00l

buh_buh
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
this thread is old balls, but thought I'd revive it with a for sale thread! Haha. JDM Recaros with custom Prelude rails.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/241509/fs-red-jdm-recaro-seats-with-custom-prelude-rails/

Jlude
11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I totally forgot all about this thread until you bumped it.

1-Bar
11-30-2008, 07:18 PM
whoa....who on here still owns a 5th gen?

buh_buh
11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I do :poosie:

Primer_Drift
12-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Me :D

Every 3-4 months someone bumps it and it shows up in my email.. surprises me every time.

Carlton
12-01-2008, 01:10 AM
I love my 5th gen but once i am finished cleaning it up it going for sale. I hate seeing the km's climb on it due to the 80km drive i do every day almost.

but buh_buh i was actually looking at your seats, sadly its a shitty time of the year

JordanAndrew
12-01-2008, 03:48 AM
I was an old school Prelude owner myself. :D
Although I miss the looks of the car, I definitely don't miss the fact that this car was heavy as fuck and not really that fast either.

Anyways just joining the bump thread. I think I have a few parts from my old rides(I had 2 5th gen preludes) that I might put up for sale or just give away for free.

Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

Destinova403
12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
im planning to own my lude until it wont drive anymore...

then ill probably do a swap :D

Jlude
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
im planning to own my lude until it wont drive anymore...

then ill probably do a swap :D

I said the same thing.

If It wasn't for the accident, I'd probably still be driving it.

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I actually miss driving a lude.
Took one out for a spin the other day, and it drives nice. If they made a 4 door I'd probably still own one.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I actually miss driving a lude.
Took one out for a spin the other day, and it drives nice. If they made a 4 door I'd probably still own one.

I would have taken my Prelude over the CR any day of the week.

I've looked for a prelude, but I want to find something that's already modified... and clean with either mugen or oem body kits.

hard to find... oh, and has to be electron blue/fully loaded.

Skyline_Addict
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM

I've looked for a prelude, but I want to find something that's already modified... and clean with either mugen or oem body kits.

hard to find... oh, and has to be electron blue/fully loaded.

Ludes are awesome cars. But why would you want to get something already modded? As an enthusiast, wouldn't you want to mod it from scratch, to your liking? A clean body kit, I could live with. But engine mods can be iffy. Unless we're talking buh_buh's car, which is super clean all the way :D.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Ludes are awesome cars. But why would you want to get something already modded? As an enthusiast, wouldn't you want to mod it from scratch, to your liking? A clean body kit, I could live with. But engine mods can be iffy. Unless we're talking buh_buh's car, which is super clean all the way :D.

I was really thinking of buh_buh's car when I said modded. It was perfect.

But other than that, I would want it stock.

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
haha thanks Skyline but buh_buh's car is no longer buh_buh's. :)
But even my car had its problems. Not to say I realized my car was a piece after I got rid of it, because I still think its a great car, but I realized once the car was gone there were problems I was willing to overlook and maybe didn't even realize (since I had been the one piecing it together, putting the time and money into it) that others would see as WTF?

Modded cars are iffy, because as the person doing the mods, you may know where the problem lies, or whether you made a compromise for aesthetics, time, money, whatever, and it was justified in your mind, whereas the person inheriting the car might just see it as a ghetto hackjob. When buying a stock car, you have a certain expectation or standard of what the car should be.

I can see where Jlude's coming from, since you save a pile of money from a modification standpoint if you buy an already modded car. Jlude, you shouldve bought my car if that's what you were looking for. Fits the bill for much cheaper than your CR. I sold it for a great deal to someone who I hope will finish it, although it looks like a completely different car already. But that's what a modded car is, some personification or extension of someone's personality or tastes.

Skyline_Addict
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
But that's what a modded car is, some personification or extension of someone's personality or tastes.

Perfectly put. Outside of being a professional tuner/manufacturer/team, the whole point of doing modifications is to express your personality through your car. It's alot of what being a ricer...er, enthusiast is all about. Clearly, many people have differing views on how they wish to express their personalities, ranging from altezzas to turbos.

Must be bitter sweet, but congrats on selling your lude. Nicest one I've seen, period.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I can see where Jlude's coming from, since you save a pile of money from a modification standpoint if you buy an already modded car. Jlude, you shouldve bought my car if that's what you were looking for. Fits the bill for much cheaper than your CR. I sold it for a great deal to someone who I hope will finish it, although it looks like a completely different car already. But that's what a modded car is, some personification or extension of someone's personality or tastes.

I thought about it and thought about it. I wanted it soooo bad. I wanted it exactly as you had it, before you started parting stuff out. (I actually had some of your parts on my lude) I just sold the CR and only a few days after you sold the prelude. I know that Nav loves that car though, talked to him a couple of days ago.

The thing is now, it's getting harder and harder to find a clean unmolested 01 lude. Especially one that meets my requirements. And of course as time goes on, the mileage goes up... before to find a clean lude under 100k wasn't a big issue, now, it's almost impossible.

Mackdawg on here has the only lude I would consider buying atm. If he even still has it. It was a gread deal at the time he was selling, so it's likely gone.

rc2002
12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
whoa....who on here still owns a 5th gen?

I still do. You guys are a bunch of quitters. :)

I would too as a daily driver - after not having a back seat for so long, it's really nice to have one to toss stuff onto. But the Prelude definitely isn't as much fun to drive as an S2.

The thing is now, it's getting harder and harder to find a clean unmolested 01 lude. Especially one that meets my requirements. And of course as time goes on, the mileage goes up... before to find a clean lude under 100k wasn't a big issue, now, it's almost impossible.

You can still find them. I picked up a 1999 that has less than 100k. Original paint, locally dealership serviced and completely stock - even has OEM fogs and OEM alarm system.

I test drove the new Civic SI, but I didn't really see the value in it. The Prelude is very comparable - it has slightly more power, comparable weight, more torque, heated seats...

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
haha, richard....I knew you bought one. Specs?!? As for people wanting to buy ludes still, my old one is up for sale......lol It was a great car I must admit, but the sheer weight was the only negative thing I could think of (but upgrading the suspension, thing handled like it was on rails!) Maybe in a couple years I'll buy one dirt cheap and mod it again. I hope the OEM kits are still around, and I think I got a Greddy lip and the OEM CF trim somewhere.....

Jlude
12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I would too as a daily driver - after not having a back seat for so long, it's really nice to have one to toss stuff onto. But the Prelude definitely isn't as much fun to drive as an S2.
100% right.

The back seat... ride comfort. tons of leg room (not length, but width), extra trunk space. Those leather seats were quite comfy and like you said heated seats FTW.

You can still find them. I picked up a 1999 that has less than 100k. Original paint, locally dealership serviced and completely stock - even has OEM fogs and OEM alarm system.

I test drove the new Civic SI, but I didn't really see the value in it. The Prelude is very comparable - it has slightly more power, comparable weight, more torque, heated seats...

Fully loaded?

Perhaps I'm not looking everywhere. I've only checked out autotrader.ca /.com and a couple local forums. I'd love to find a clean lude, fully loaded, stock with under 100k for a reasonable price, I'd probably jump on it. Must be blue though.

For me, modding a 5th gen is simple.
-oem lip kit
-drop it 1.5 - 2"
-17 or 18" rims
-full out polishing/detailing
- maybe even a clean turbo kit running low boost. (I probably wouldn't throw one on)

Call it a day.

Wouldn't even touch the interior. I had the CF trim kit, which I kinda liked.

Skyline_Addict
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
^^ too bad blue is so rare.

rc2002
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
haha, richard....I knew you bought one. Specs?!? As for people wanting to buy ludes still, my old one is up for sale......

Is yours the one on Norman's lot? I thought the "JDM fenders" looked familiar...

Not really much to write as far as specs go. 1999 Base, Crystal Blue Metallic, 92k, all original, all service done at Honda West since the 20,000km mark. Has OEM fogs, spoiler, alarm. It rolled off the same assembly line as my old Prelude - just 14 cars later.

The back seat... ride comfort. tons of leg room (not length, but width), extra trunk space. Those leather seats were quite comfy and like you said heated seats FTW.

Perhaps I'm not looking everywhere. I've only checked out autotrader.ca /.com and a couple local forums. I'd love to find a clean lude, fully loaded, stock with under 100k for a reasonable price, I'd probably jump on it. Must be blue though.

Yeah the trunk seems like a chasm compared to the S2K. And I forgot how nice it was to have tilt steering. Ride comfort is very decent too - I think the curb weight helps with that. My Integras definitely weren't as smooth or as quiet.

Preludes really only came in two trims: one with leather and straight spoke wheels and one without. I had both leather and cloth seats and actually preferred the cloth because there was less sliding around when cornering and it breathed better than the leather.

I picked mine up as a private deal from an Autotrader ad. I browse quite regularly and it seems like a clean Prelude will pop up every few months. I saw a locally owned black 2001 at Lexus that had low km (60-70k) but that one sold before I had a chance to check it out. There was a pretty clean one at CMS/T&T not too long ago too.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Is yours the one on Norman's lot? I thought the "JDM fenders" looked familiar...

Not really much to write as far as specs go. 1999 Base, Crystal Blue Metallic, 92k, all original, all service done at Honda West since the 20,000km mark. Has OEM fogs, spoiler, alarm. It rolled off the same assembly line as my old Prelude - just 14 cars later.

Yeah the trunk seems like a chasm compared to the S2K. And I forgot how nice it was to have tilt steering. Ride comfort is very decent too - I think the curb weight helps with that. My Integras definitely weren't as smooth or as quiet.

Preludes really only came in two trims: one with leather and straight spoke wheels and one without. I had both leather and cloth seats and actually preferred the cloth because there was less sliding around when cornering and it breathed better than the leather.

I picked mine up as a private deal from an Autotrader ad. I browse quite regularly and it seems like a clean Prelude will pop up every few months. I saw a locally owned black 2001 at Lexus that had low km (60-70k) but that one sold before I had a chance to check it out. There was a pretty clean one at CMS/T&T not too long ago too.

I check autotrader.ca on a nightly basis. Like you said, waiting for something to pop up. I saw one a month or so ago, black with everything I wanted, had 120k... in B.C. Really good price, called about it and it was sold.

The leather is a bitch for conering haha... especially after it's been treated. Such a pain. Those seats don't really hold you in place.

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
funny how the guys that love the ludes now no longer own them.

rc2002
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
^ Grass is always greener on the other side.

I like the refinement of the Prelude right now, but I have a feeling I'll be sick of it again and start longing for a more throwable and fun to drive car pretty soon.

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM

haha....I cannot confirm nor deny this statement....lol

Yes, its a love/hate relationship.....

^ Grass is always greener on the other side.

I like the refinement of the Prelude right now, but I have a feeling I'll be sick of it again and start longing for a more throwable and fun to drive car pretty soon.

So how many cars have you owned this year? Your insurance is probably on speed dial on your cell by now....or on your fave five....lol

rc2002
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I've only bought two and sold two this calendar year. I'd like to think I'll keep this car for a while but we'll see.

Haha. I keep my insurance company on it's toes. They have to keep on recalculating my premiums and cutting me checks when my policies change.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

It wasn't my choice to get rid of mine. It was the kid who rear ended me at 80k causing the write off that ended my run with the lude.

I looked for another one, but was in the middle of moving to california, so didn't have time to shop around.

carzcraz
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Saw this blue one for sale in Edmonton. Not liking the current kit on the car though...

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?threadid=82904

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
H22az1, meaning the engine was changed by Honda. I wonder if those k's are on the motor or on the chassis.

Jlude
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
H22az1, meaning the engine was changed by Honda. I wonder if those k's are on the motor or on the chassis.

His price is at 15.5

I wonder too...

My guess would be that, that's just the engine.

carzcraz
12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Hmm, here is more info on his motor...

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?threadid=81676

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
doesn't really say much still. Most people in there just kind of reiterated what I said, except he suspects he has an Australian block.

I've seen a couple H22z1s and they appear to be identical to any other H22s, although it would be quite difficult to tell a different bore just from looking at it. An old acquaintance of mine got a new block (just the block and nothing else) from Honda under warranty and his was stamped H22z1 also, which is why I assumed z1 only indicates a factory replaced block.

What I don't understand in that situation is why they would give him an Australian block with completely different internals to sell in the Canadian market. I know SEs were basically mutt parts cars, but putting in an engine with completely different specs to a market that it isn't offered doesn't make much sense to me.

If he does in fact have an Australian block, I'm assuming its just the block and the rest are still Canadian spec parts like the cat and intake like he suggested.

Preslow
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I actually love my Lude.
it drives like a total dream. really nice driving car, handles beautifully, and unlike every other Prelude owner, i've not modded it at all except for a drop and some HID's. Even the stock airbox ;)
maintained since day 1 and its got the really rare front spoiler and OEM lipkit, OEM alarm, everything.
JLude was talking to me about my car but he decided to go for a Teg!

Jlude
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Preslow
I actually love my Lude.
it drives like a total dream. really nice driving car, handles beautifully, and unlike every other Prelude owner, i've not modded it at all except for a drop and some HID's. Even the stock airbox ;)
maintained since day 1 and its got the really rare front spoiler and OEM lipkit, OEM alarm, everything.
JLude was talking to me about my car but he decided to go for a Teg!

I don't know what I've decided on.

I found a prelude EXACTLY like mine down in Virgina for cheap... It's got 100k klms. One owner. It's mint. It's very tempting.

rc2002
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
^ Teg is a whole different driving experience. I've owned 2-2001 Integras and 2 fifth gen preludes. Prelude feels more heavier and more disconnected from the road whereas the Integra feels lighter and less refined.

I have no mods done to my current Prelude whatsoever - and I like it just as much as my modded one. Funny how we all brag about having un-modded cars now.

Jlude
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
^ Teg is a whole different driving experience. I've owned 2-2001 Integras and 2 fifth gen preludes. Prelude feels more heavier and more disconnected from the road whereas the Integra feels lighter and less refined.

I have no mods done to my current Prelude whatsoever - and I like it just as much as my modded one. Funny how we all brag about having un-modded cars now.

I was talking to shadowz about going from an AP2 to a ITR... I've never driven one, but I'm sure i'm going to be dissapointed. He said it was hard to go back to one after the s2k.

Preslow
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

thats so true hey. we all want CLEAN, non-modded cars. haha its a good thing though.
I drove a 01 TEG type R it was quick, but I didn't like how it handled in comparison to my Lude. I don't know what it was.

Skyline_Addict
12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
^^^ probably refinement. the prelude feels more smooth while the ITR is something you can really whip around the corners since it's lighter.

rc2002
12-11-2008, 10:25 PM

I was talking to shadowz about going from an AP2 to a ITR... I've never driven one, but I'm sure i'm going to be dissapointed. He said it was hard to go back to one after the s2k.

If you stepped out of a different car into an ITR, you'd love it.

ITR is an awesome car, but eventually it gets tiring like an S2K. It would be a great practical weekend car. But lack of sound deadening and creature comforts make it tough to live with. Plus the value is not there - it's fun to drive but if I paid that much for a car, I'd like things like a remote trunk popper, electronic heater controls, heated seats, real intermittent wipers (instead of just one setting) and a ton of other things that I was left wanting when I had an Integra.

Jlude
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM

If you stepped out of a different car into an ITR, you'd love it.

ITR is an awesome car, but eventually it gets tiring like an S2K. It would be a great practical weekend car. But lack of sound deadening and creature comforts make it tough to live with. Plus the value is not there - it's fun to drive but if I paid that much for a car, I'd like things like a remote trunk popper, electronic heater controls, heated seats, real intermittent wipers (instead of just one setting) and a ton of other things that I was left wanting when I had an Integra.

Most of those options, the prelude has.

Well, that's exactly what I'll be buying it for, a weekend car. Just something for me to enjoy by myself. I've always wanted one since I was young.

So now Mr. Chan... besides being a TR, what would really be the difference in say a GSR and a ITR? (I know little things like interior, shift knob/boot, HP) Is it worth it to spend the extra money on the ITR? Cause I've found several Integras with JDM front end conversions for much, much less than what ITR's are going for.

buh_buh
12-11-2008, 10:54 PM
If youre looking for a weekend car, I'd take the ITR over GSR 10 times out of 10. I'd take an ITR over a Prelude for a weekend car. I think ITRs are kind of overpriced though for what they are. They're great cars, but I don't see how some of them are still selling for $19k, even if they're untainted.

Other than aesthetics, the difference lies in the different suspension, engine, transmission, stiffer chassis, bigger brakes, and is basically a stripped down GSR. No leather, no power windows (not sure if all of them are), some of them have no AC, no sunroof, no deadening, a purpose built car and a great one. Probably the best handling fwd car ever made.

JDM front ends don't add value to the car. I prefer a clean (see:stock) USDM ITR front end anyway. ITRs are actually one of the few cars I think look better stock than modded (even slightly modded).

Preslow
12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
If youre looking for a weekend car, I'd take the ITR over GSR 10 times out of 10. I'd take an ITR over a Prelude for a weekend car. I think ITRs are kind of overpriced though for what they are. They're great cars, but I don't see how some of them are still selling for $19k, even if they're untainted.

Other than aesthetics, the difference lies in the different suspension, engine, transmission, stiffer chassis, bigger brakes, and is basically a stripped down GSR. No leather, no power windows (not sure if all of them are), some of them have no AC, no sunroof, no deadening, a purpose built car and a great one. Probably the best handling fwd car ever made.

JDM front ends don't add value to the car. I prefer a clean (see:stock) USDM ITR front end anyway. ITRs are actually one of the few cars I think look better stock than modded (even slightly modded).

i agree. for the price though.. come on, its not worth it. Not a car thats even convenient enough for the weekends, like what if I need A/C? the ITR is like a track-only car in some respects.

buh_buh
12-12-2008, 12:25 AM
There's not no AC in all Type-Rs. Just some. But not convenient enough? That's what a weekend track car is: no convenience. Its got a backseat, that's already enough compromise in a weekend/track car. I went through a few summers with no AC in my Prelude and I didn't mind. I prefer fresh air to the smell of freon. I even had to blast the heat on a couple occasions when I still had the stock rad and was sitting in traffic. That's the price you pay for having that sort of car. The Type-R was purpose built. Have you ever sat in an Elise? Much higher price, even less creature comforts than the Type-R. The Type-R was marketed as a race car for the street. Every little bit counts.

Preslow
12-12-2008, 12:27 AM
There's not no AC in all Type-Rs. Just some. But not convenient enough? That's what a weekend track car is: no convenience. Its got a backseat, that's already enough compromise in a weekend/track car. I went through a few summers with no AC in my Prelude and I didn't mind. I prefer fresh air to the smell of freon. I even had to blast the heat on a couple occasions when I still had the stock rad and was sitting in traffic. That's the price you pay for having that sort of car. The Type-R was purpose built. Have you ever sat in an Elise? Much higher price, even less creature comforts than the Type-R. The Type-R was marketed as a race car for the street. Every little bit counts.

I agree with you completely. I like the ITR for its ability to be just that - a track car.
i just think the price for it is a little high considering the conveniences/whole package overall.

buh_buh
12-12-2008, 12:28 AM
See:Elise

But with all that being said, you can have 92.4% of the Type-R performance in a Prelude that's more comfortable and at a cheaper cost. The Type-R isn't a car just a stripped down Integra though, you kind of have to appreciate the details Honda put into it compared to the GSR, I guess that's what youre paying for too. Every little thing was changed and geared towards better performance, even if they were just minor changes. That's what I like about the Type-R. A little more refined, but not refined in the same way the Prelude is.

Jlude
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Same as the CR, some came with AC and Stereo... some didn't. AC can be nice at times... but it's not needed.

Fuck, it's been so long since I've had a back seat. That in itself is a luxury to me.

I have driven an Elise... the s2k is like a luxury sedan compared to that.

buh_buh
12-12-2008, 12:41 AM
haha yeah, so you want out of one track car into another? Sounds like you want another Prelude James. Here I even took the liberty of finding you a (semi) unmolested one

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Honda-2001-Honda-Prelude-SE-W0QQAdIdZ87623582

If I had cash to spare, I'd keep a 5th gen around as a daily.

Jlude
12-12-2008, 12:58 AM
haha yeah, so you want out of one track car into another? Sounds like you want another Prelude James. Here I even took the liberty of finding you a (semi) unmolested one

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Honda-2001-Honda-Prelude-SE-W0QQAdIdZ87623582

If I had cash to spare, I'd keep a 5th gen around as a daily.

This time I won't use the track car as a DD.

The wife HATES integras, so I have no worries of her wanting to drive it.

That prelude is very clean. I have no doubt I'll be back into one at some point in the next year.

I've been talking to this guy in Virginia about this one... http://www.hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2446786 it's identical to mine except the rims/interior.

Only thing stopping me is the CAD.

rc2002
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Most of those options, the prelude has.

Well, that's exactly what I'll be buying it for, a weekend car. Just something for me to enjoy by myself. I've always wanted one since I was young.

So now Mr. Chan... besides being a TR, what would really be the difference in say a GSR and a ITR? (I know little things like interior, shift knob/boot, HP) Is it worth it to spend the extra money on the ITR? Cause I've found several Integras with JDM front end conversions for much, much less than what ITR's are going for.

Yeah the only things the Prelude doesn't have is electronic heater control and a remote trunk popper which really gets annoying.

Kevin got just about all the big points on the ITR. Except I think the JDM conversion still looks better and gives you the option of OEM HID (even if the reflectors are RHD ones). But the stock front end is killer. Original paint and parts keeps the value of the car.

The big things are engine, suspension, and brakes. They're all factory upgraded in the ITR. If you swap those onto a normal integra, there really isn't a huge difference between the 2 cars, and it's easier to find a clean car to start with. I did that on my first Integra and enjoyed all of the mods:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176393/fs-2001-integra-quotjdm-type-rquot/

I would've liked it more if it came like that from factory though.

rc2002
12-12-2008, 09:28 AM
The Prelude buh_buh posted above has inteiror neon lights and HID lights. Stay away! :D

Jlude
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Yeah the only things the Prelude doesn't have is electronic heater control and a remote trunk popper which really gets annoying.

Kevin got just about all the big points on the ITR. Except I think the JDM conversion still looks better and gives you the option of OEM HID (even if the reflectors are RHD ones). But the stock front end is killer. Original paint and parts keeps the value of the car.

The big things are engine, suspension, and brakes. They're all factory upgraded in the ITR. If you swap those onto a normal integra, there really isn't a huge difference between the 2 cars, and it's easier to find a clean car to start with. I did that on my first Integra and enjoyed all of the mods:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176393/fs-2001-integra-quotjdm-type-rquot/

I would've liked it more if it came like that from factory though.

Wow Richard, that car looks amazing. Did you actually sell it?

Althought the ITR doesn't have the refinements that one would like, since it's gonna be a weekend car, I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

I'm just gonna wait for the right... low klm/clean car to come along and snatch it up. I absolutely love the JDM front end conversion for the ITR, but it's hard deciding whether to stay 100% oem or go for the better look.

buh_buh
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
The Prelude buh_buh posted above has inteiror neon lights and HID lights. Stay away! :D yeah, I know... but its low k and its an easy fix. Bone stock and low k are hard to come by nowadays.

1-Bar
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
just my $0.02 on the ITR/Prelude debate.....I absolutely love the ITR around the city, its a pretty quick (at the time) car and its handling is bar none to anything else stock out there for a FWD. The only gripe is that is was loud (as mentioned above) and screams on Deerfoot at high RPMS, good ol' ITR tranny gearing.......if you had an exhaust on that, good luck.

Ludes are heavy and slow, but they handle pretty nimble. I always point to that road and track a while back where the compared the two in corning, IIRC it said that if the lude came with better OEM rubber it would be as close to handling/if not better then the ITR....

In the end, I'll probably pick up another teg down the road, it will probably be another 4 door, but still a teg. Man that was a fun car....

gpomp
12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
i prefer the ITR to the S2K. maybe it's because i'm a crappy driver but it seems like i can push an ITR a lot harder than an S2K.

i've seen ITR's with p/w, a/c, and cruise. compared to the prelude, the only things missing are sunroof and heated seats.

richard, the lack of remote trunk on the lude can be fixed by using a 6th gen accord trunk popper. it should be a direct bolt on, just have to wire it up.

the problem i have with all 3 cars is they feel too old. even a brand new S2K feels like a honda built in the 90's. these cars were great in the year 2000 but i'd have a hard time buying one right now.

Skyline_Addict
12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I love my "old school" Hondas. The late 90s models, for many Japanese automanufactures, was in my opinion, the peak of automotive enthusiasm and flair. I will add an ITR to my collection some day :)

Skyline_Addict
12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I love my "old school" Hondas. The late 90s models, for many Japanese automanufactures, was in my opinion, the peak of automotive enthusiasm and flair. I will add an ITR to my collection some day :)

rc2002
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Wow Richard, that car looks amazing. Did you actually sell it?

Yeah it's gone - sold to a guy here on beyond. It was actually superesc's car before - it was turbo B18B with JDM conversion when I bought it.

yeah, I know... but its low k and its an easy fix. Bone stock and low k are hard to come by nowadays.

Yeah that's true. It's probably one of the lowest mileage ones - and in PPW too! But things like neon and HID, are very telling of a young teenaged owner.

Originally posted by gpomp
i prefer the ITR to the S2K. maybe it's because i'm a crappy driver but it seems like i can push an ITR a lot harder than an S2K.

i've seen ITR's with p/w, a/c, and cruise. compared to the prelude, the only things missing are sunroof and heated seats.

richard, the lack of remote trunk on the lude can be fixed by using a 6th gen accord trunk popper. it should be a direct bolt on, just have to wire it up.

the problem i have with all 3 cars is they feel too old. even a brand new S2K feels like a honda built in the 90's. these cars were great in the year 2000 but i'd have a hard time buying one right now.

The Integra does feel a lot more driver friendly. Driving position, visibility, and steering feel is excellent. It's much more predictable than the S2000.

I actually installed that Accord trunk popper onto my old prelude, and Kevin's prelude. Problem is you need an aftermarket alarm system with auxiliary to use it. The OEM remote won't work since it only has 2 buttons - lock and unlock.

I agree with you 100% about the cars all feeling too old. The 3rd gen tegs started in Japan in 1993. So the first ones probably rolled off the assembly line 17 years ago. It doesn't help that Honda kept the same chassis for 9 model years either. The B-series motor is actually a carry over from OBD0 so the engine technology is ancient.

carzcraz
12-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Electron blue pearl in Saskatoon with 103km

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Honda-2001-Honda-Prelude-W0QQAdIdZ88184474

Another (not sure if standard):

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Honda-2001-Honda-Prelude-SE-W0QQAdIdZ80806341

Generic
02-14-2009, 07:56 PM
these aren't bad winter cars with good winter tires. Last year I drove my 98 modded Lude and it was good in winter actually.

Destinova403
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
old as heck but i got some laughs...

You know you own a 5th gen 'Lude when...

... you pull up to a gas station and get a compliment on your "Integra"
... you can pour oil perfectly without spilling a single drop
... you actually know what Type-SH means
... you DESPISE the Acura RSX
... civic owners think you drive a super-car
... you call Honda and beg for a 6th gear
... you go in for an oil change and the salesman wants to buy your car (yes seriously)
... you can actually tell some one what vtec stands for word for word (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
... you constantly adjust your seat to find a compromise between arm distance and leg room
... you would rather have the Base model than the Type-SH
... your grandparents/older relatives refuse to ride in your car
... you are constantly washing your car to keep up with the carbon buildup on the back bumper
... buying premium gas makes you cry a little inside
... you look at the back seats and say "they're just for insurance purposes"

Generic
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
i sold my Lude eh Dane
all gone :(

Primer_Drift
02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
old as heck but i got some laughs...

You know you own a 5th gen 'Lude when...

... you can pour oil perfectly without spilling a single drop
... you actually know what Type-SH means
... you call Honda and beg for a 6th gear
... you go in for an oil change and the salesman wants to buy your car (yes seriously)
... you can actually tell some one what vtec stands for word for word (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
... you constantly adjust your seat to find a compromise between arm distance and leg room
... you would rather have the Base model than the Type-SH
... your grandparents/older relatives refuse to ride in your car
... buying premium gas makes you cry a little inside
... you look at the back seats and say "they're just for insurance purposes"

I've personally had all of these..

Jlude
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

I've personally had all of these..

+1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: funny list dane

eur0
02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
lol so true

Generic
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by eur0
lol so true

like every single one.

sh0ko
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
for anyone who wnats their door inserts rewrapped in new leather or suede!!! plz contact me

403-613-1477

heres the final product i did for a member

other colors available for suede (not alcantara suede.. this is REAL suede folks)

yellow, light blue, navy blue, red, orange, pink, black, etc

its abougt 60 bones for material (glue suede etc) and i charge about another 100 on top for about 2-3 hours of work

too expensive?! talk to me first.. pm me for details

before
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/playaz-club3/GetAttachment.jpg

after

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Victa/navdeep/IMG_0059.JPG

Jlude
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
looks good...

sh0ko
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
itr inserts to come soon... pictures update when project finished....

taking on a headliner soon too...updates to come

EK 2.0
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

itr inserts to come soon... pictures update when project finished....

taking on a headliner soon too...updates to come

that looks really, really good mang....:thumbsup:

Nizmo_GTR
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Got a creaking like noise from the front end when accelerating the car from a stop. Sounds like 1 creak noise.

Im thinking its caused by either worn out splines on the drive shaft or loose engine mounts? I think I only hear the noise during starting from a dead stop because thats when the parts are under the most load/torque?

Anything else I should be looking at?

JordanAndrew
03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Just thought I'd post this here since a lot of Prelude owners are in this thread. I am selling a custom Alpine amp rack specifically made to fit 5th gen Preludes like a glove.

For more info, click below
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255028

CMW403
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR
Got a creaking like noise from the front end when accelerating the car from a stop. Sounds like 1 creak noise.

Im thinking its caused by either worn out splines on the drive shaft or loose engine mounts? I think I only hear the noise during starting from a dead stop because thats when the parts are under the most load/torque?

become a member at www.preludepower.com my friend. someone will know the answer

JordanAndrew
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Free to someone:

Part # 91316-PE7-730

I believe it's an o-ring for the oil. This is an original Honda part, I just found it laying around and since I don't have a 5th Gen Prelude anymore, I'll just give this one away to current owners. It's still sealed if anyone is curious. It probably cost like $5 or less, but free is even better.

CMW403
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Free to someone:

Part # 91316-PE7-730

I believe it's an o-ring for the oil. This is an original Honda part, I just found it laying around and since I don't have a 5th Gen Prelude anymore, I'll just give this one away to current owners. It's still sealed if anyone is curious. It probably cost like $5 or less, but free is even better.

shame on you son

got rid of the lude for a MAZDA??????

:facepalm: :banghead:

JordanAndrew
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

shame on you son

got rid of the lude for a MAZDA??????

:facepalm: :banghead:

I had no choice, my 1997 and 1999 Preludes both got written off during 2 different accidents, both time I was not at fault either. I figured I had bad luck with them so I changed to an entirely new car manufacturer. Call me superstitious but that's just the way it is. So far so good with the Mazda, it's actually a pretty good car.

911fever
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR

i had this too on my 1st Prelude.. interesting.
curious to see what it is, pm me if you know?

CMW403
03-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

i had this too on my 1st Prelude.. interesting.
curious to see what it is, pm me if you know?

i also have this problem. if you find out what it is let me know