PDA

View Full Version : Nice car under 10k?

John2496
02-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I've been looking for a used convertible for under 10k as a first car. I have a basic understanding of the mechanics of a car, but no real-world knowledge when it comes to comparing vehicles and such.

I've been considering these three cars. I've read reviews on all of them, but I'm unsure how reliable they are. For example, there are some cars with 20 reviews, 50% of them being negitive. But how many people actually post reviews on these websites? Its an insignificant number compared to how many people actually have the car.

Which do you think would be the best for a novice driver(if you know of another good car, please post! :) )?

- Chrysler Sebring JX 97
- 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT
- 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thanks
John

Skylinelover
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Go with a 240sx.. Some years came in convertable but I cant remember which.

John2496
02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Would you recommend that car over the ones I've listed. I'm using cars.com to find cars, only found a few of them :\.

camaro
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Eclipse Spyder - 2.4L :thumbsup:

John2496
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I just finished reading some reviews on that car. I'm realizing that _a lot_ of these reviews, most of the cars posted, are negitive. It seems that there is always problems with these cars.

http://www.carsurvey.org/othermodelyear_Mitsubishi_Eclipse_1997.html
^^^Thats the site I'm using

oddjob
02-07-2005, 05:15 PM
If its maintained properly you should have no problems. J-Body's are probably just as unreliable as an Eclipse Spyder.

awd
02-07-2005, 05:15 PM
For that kinda cash I would be hunting for a mid-90s DSM with low mileage.

jaysas_63
02-07-2005, 05:16 PM
convertables can be very nice, but not at your price range (unless you are willing to buy an older car).......if u have to get a convertable, in your price range i would prefer an e30 3 series IC (BMW), a camaro isn't too bad either lots of bang for buck,

John2496
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Alright thanks :s.

I really wanted the sebring jx for the longest time but after reading some of the reviews I'm just not sure. Would you recommend that car? It looks like a good deal but I really wouldn't know.

statick
02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
^1994

out of the cars u posted, none of them are extremely reliable. out of those, i would take the camaro, just cuz its fast.

i would reccomend a mid 90's eclipse or a 1994 240sx (rwd so not great in winter, but with winter tires u'll be okay).

jaysas_63
02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by John2496

I really wanted the sebring jx for the longest time but after reading some of the reviews I'm just not sure. Would you recommend that car? It looks like a good deal but I really wouldn't know.

how old are you? i ask becuase the sebring jx is more of a seniors car...like its not that "fresh", or appealing...i dunno that might just be me, but i would never buy that car

awd
02-07-2005, 05:24 PM

Just remember John -- the opinions you get here will be "slightly" biased towards JDM vehicles.

John2496
02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm not a senior citizen or anything like that. I'm only 17 :s.

I'm trying to find something reliable, not sure which convertible would be the most reliable. I checked up on the eclipse. These are some of the reviews I found, they don't look too positive. But like I said, many of the reviews on that site seem to be negitive(they only 'seem' to be this way because I have only read reviews on 10-15 cars, maybe they're just crappy cars, idk).

jaysas_63
02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm not a senior citizen or anything like that. I'm only 17 :s.

I'm trying to find something reliable, not sure which convertible would be the most reliable. I checked up on the eclipse. These are some of the reviews I found, they don't look too positive. But like I said, many of the reviews on that site seem to be negitive(they only 'seem' to be this way because I have only read reviews on 10-15 cars, maybe they're just crappy cars, idk).

check out that bmw i was talkin about....tell me what u think...its a little older, but IMO it has nice lines, and looks sporty, its performance isn't half bad either......and ya if u really like the sebring jx then go for it...but i just think they are an old mans car.

John2496
02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Alright alright I think I know what I want :). I like the camaro. I'm probably going to buy a used one with less than 60k miles. Is there anything especially important I should know about these cars? I like the reviews it got on this one car site, I'm going to check others. But I like this car :)

GTS Jeff
02-07-2005, 09:08 PM
dont get a jbody convertible ;)

id say the camaro is the nicest out of the bunch tho.

Weapon_R
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I'd say that the Sebring is your best bet. It's a fairly well built car, it's pretty nice and it's got some decent performance. The camaro is nice too, but it's really got only one true purpose.

Skyline_Addict
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
every car has some problems with it, both subjective and technical. if you're willing to look at imports, the 4th gen prelude SRs are a nice deal as well as some of the 3rd/4th gen integras, depending on trim and year. though these are slightly older cars, i'd say they are just as if not more reliable than the newer domestic counterparts you are looking at. if you're willing to squeeze past 10,000 to the 11-12k range, you may be able to to land an s14 240sx. really good starter cars. keep in mind that when you buy a used car...it won't be perfect. expect some problems, and do your research on a particular car before buying it to minimize/account for these problems.

John2496
02-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Yea I decided not to go with the camaro after readnig a bit on it. Not too fuel efficient :(.

Right now I'm looking at the Nissan 240SX. Good reviews, fuel efficient, cheap ;)

Weapon_R, would you take the sebring over the 240sx? I've read _a lot_ of complaints about the sebring.

To tell you the truth I'd really only want to pay less than 6k because I can pay that upfront in cash. You know how much it costs to get auto insurance for someone my age?

I also wanna get a car that I wouldn't feel too bad if I dented or scratched up(its my first car).

PGTze
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM

- Chrysler Sebring JX 97
- 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT
- 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thanks
John

For a novice car out of those three I'd say sunfire, not much power, good for learning to drive with I guess, but people will probably make fun of you for driving a convertable sunfire. Camaro is easily the nicest of the three, but you will have to grow a mullet if you get it, haha jk.

NickGT
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Camaro for sure from your list of choices. Convertibles are a blast. Spring/Summer is just around the corner :thumbsup:

:burnout:

Weapon_R
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
You won't get any decent car for 6k. Personally, i'd take a newer sebring over an older 240sx. I think the only convertible 240s you can get are 11 years old now, well into 200k, and pretty pricey. For that price, you could grab a newer (2000+) sebring convertible, much better performance and lower mileage.

It's up to you, but for 6k, the only convertible I can think of that you could find is a 1991ish Mazda Miata (which is a cool car, btw)

RWD
02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
please dont get a sunfire gt for 10 grand.. get a gen 2 rx7 convertible..

finboy
02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
turbo miata
:burnout:

Moe Man
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
why dont ou look for an audi or a saab, they have great converables that are under 10g

240droptop
02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Skylinelover

the 240sx rocks!!

Originally posted by statick

^1994

out of the cars u posted, none of them are extremely reliable. out of those, i would take the camaro, just cuz its fast.

i would reccomend a mid 90's eclipse or a 1994 240sx (rwd so not great in winter, but with winter tires u'll be okay).

1993 and up I drive a 93 240sx convertible I got it for around 6k interior needed work and there was a bit of mechanical needs to it. when I bought it it had around 180 something kilometers I do fine in the winter I got a good set of winters and I find I slide less in my car than the pathfinder. Unless of course you wana slid then yah thats easy :thumbsup: the chasy of the convertible likes to flex alltho I would sujest you stiffen it up a bit with some strut tower bars to get rid of some of that chasy flex. EVERYTHING on the convertible is power, power windows power top everything iss done Automaticly for you.......even the shifting. The 240sx convertibles only come in Auto so like me if you can't stand driveing an Auto be prepared to have to swap it. Its rare that you find a 5spd one but look hard you might get lucky. I love my car looks great and will be nice when i'm done with it. like any 10+ year car don't expect it to be in perfect condition theres gona be maintenance needed on it. if you do decide to go with the 240 ask check everthing check all 4 seat belts even take out the back seat Rust lieks to get back there and cause havik I know this cause my 240 is a bit rusty behind the back seat. as far as I klnow there was only around 300 of theses cars made (correct me if i'm wroung) so check any part that is "Convertible spacif" parts can be hard to find altho there are ways of getting them. Gl finding picking and finding your car and I hope this novel helped some :)