PDA

View Full Version : Drive by Wire Throttle....

CelicaST-162
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
What is the deal with Drive by Wire throttle? Does anyone know why is it better than the conventional cable?

The recent models of Toyota vehicles I have seen as well as a few other makes have Drive by wire, what is so great about this? One thing I can think of is traction control maybe? Otherwise, I hate it! There is so much throttle lag it's not even funny, like when you put your foot to the floor then a second later the throttle plate opens up then you get an unexpected jolt of power.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I think it's mainly because it eliminates the mechanical linkages associated with a conventional throttle. Thus, your throttle can't stick, etc. Plus, it makes it easier for mechanics to go, "OK, looks like your throttle wire needs replacing, here's a bill for $500" ;)

I like conventional throttles, myself...

GTS Jeff
02-07-2005, 09:03 PM
what car do u drive that has bad throttle response?

drive by wire throttle means that the ecu receives a more accurate reading of exactly how much pedal is depressed, then it can figure out how much to open the throttle plate. u get a more linear response from the pedal...like 10% down is 10% power, and so forth...

Redlyne_mr2
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Sometimes I wish I had drive by wire on my 944. The throttle cable is looser than hell so its lag city. Ive got a new throttle cable coming soon so hopefully my 2.5L na beast wont feel like a its got a t78 turbo at 2psi. Drive by wire will wear out though eventually then be ready for the bill.

GTS Jeff
02-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Sometimes I wish I had drive by wire on my 944. The throttle cable is looser than hell so its lag city. Ive got a new throttle cable coming soon so hopefully my 2.5L na beast wont feel like a its got a t78 turbo at 2psi. Drive by wire will wear out though eventually then be ready for the bill. there should be a way to tighten it dude.

EstoMax
02-08-2005, 12:26 AM
is there a way to tigthen it after u adjusting screws are maxed?

anyone got an idea?

cause mine is and its kinda loose again lol

sry if its somewhat off topic

max

TurboMedic
02-08-2005, 02:36 PM
VW's (such as mine) have DBW, and this throttle lag issue has been beat to death! Using Vagcom through the ECU someone did a plot map of "pedal position" vs "throttle plate position", and found that there was little to no lag at all....The throttle plate has the capability to open and close SIMULTANEOUSLY with the pedal. Maybe you need to do a throttle body alignment....