PDA

View Full Version : Ticket question

TamagoKun
02-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Hopefully somebody can help me out on this.

Came home friday to 2 notices of convicions in my mail. Apparently i've recieved 2 tickets about 2 months ago. The thing is i haven't been driving in about 5 months. I certainly didn't get these tickets. Both of which were in the red deer area (i'm in Edmonton and haven't left the city, let alone driven). The tickets were for having too dark a tint on the windows and for not having a valid drivers license. At the time it wasn't renewed hence why i haven't been driving. The license plate written on the ticket is not a car i'm registered to either.

Anyone ever have something like this before? Any info would be great.

Skyline_Addict
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
hmmm...maybe they got the wrong mailing address if it's not your car or license?

TamagoKun
02-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Well the ticket is under my name, however it's not my car nor did i ever get those tickets myself. The only thing i could imagine is possibly someone else getting those tickets under my name?

Skyline_Addict
02-08-2005, 01:41 AM
tamago-san
that's strange. did you ever own the car indicated on the ticket? i think there should be no problem dealing with the ticket, as it is invalid. it has your name on it, and address...but it's not regarding a car you own or have registered. very strange. bring it up with the authorities....you shouldn't get charged for it in this case, but you should definetely find out what is going on.
ganbatteyo.

oh, and who is that person that it is so painful to believe in? hehe

Tyler883
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
someone on another thread suggested that you could talk to the prosecuting attorney, and he may be able to help you out with out you going through the formal process of fighting this

X_plorer
02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
You've never sold or lost your drivers license or ID? They might not believe it wasn't you driving if there is a ticket in your name for driving without a valid license and your license is expired.... If the prosecuting attorney won't drop the charges or help you out you can request disclosure from the crown and see what they have against you for proof that it was apparently you. You might be able to fight it just saying that it wasn't you or you car. But where did they get your name from then?

TamagoKun
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I haven't lost my drivers license (the expired one) or any other pieces of ID. Would somebody else be able to give false information and successfully claim they were me without having ID on them? At the moment i don't have the time when the tickets took place just the date so i'm not sure i could prove i wasn't there other then confronting the police officer who pulled the car over and seeing if he could identify me.

Anyways i get to try and sort through this tommorow so i'm just trying to get some information before hand. Best of all i can't even do it here in Edmonton.

oh and Skyline_Addict: hitori jya nai shinjite itai : i wan't to believe i'm not alone.

bspot
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
:werd: Identity theft

I wouldn't be suprised if some crooked little bastard at the registry sold a copy of your ID to a friend that looked similar.

DonJuan
02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
^ what he said :thumbsup: take a copy of your insurance and your ticket to the police. Tell them that you don't nor ever did own this car. They will look into it. they will run the plate on the vehicle to the owner and ask him some questions.

X_plorer
02-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I can't see a cop giving someone a ticket and letting them go on just their word if they can't produce any ID, especially a drivers license. Maybe the registry has messed up and has somehow connected someone elses plate with your license number? Maybe go in and ask if there are any vehicles registered to your name or license number and see what comes up. If the strange plate comes up I would go from there. What did the notice say? That you didn't respond to the tickets and you owe a fine plus a penalty?

TamagoKun
02-08-2005, 03:07 PM
X_plorer: Yeah the notice was just that, informing me that i failed to pay the tickets and what it's up to now after the late fee.

Tyler883
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I was once had a Licence plate number that was allowed to expire, then it was re-issued to another driver about 5 years later...

...anyways, the plate number still called up my info on their database, so the letter that I received was completely correct....except I was never in Vancouver, and I never owned a car that was described.

What really pissed me off, it took me hours of being on hold to straighten this out with CIBC. Not one apology, not a penny for my time.

good luck, man, I feel for you

Skyline_Addict
02-08-2005, 11:17 PM
hmmm...yeah, it is quite possible that someone else has taken over your license plate number? well, do what a few of the guys suggested if it gets rough (disclosure).

thanks for clarifying that! read it in the wrong context...it's always hard without kanji :D.