PDA

View Full Version : best shops to lower cars

asp integra
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
i have some lowering springs that i bought a while ago and its almost time to put them on, i was just wondering where some good shops are to do lowering springs and if anyone has had any experience taking their cars to shops to get them lowered, thanks

dj_rice
02-08-2005, 02:05 PM
TireCraft

Weapon_R
02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
There are some great guys here with more than enough knowledge to do it for you for 1/2 the price of a shop.

EnRich
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
TireCraft

TireCraft is the worst place you can go... They scratched the roof of my car, and even when I asked them if I needed anything else besides suspension and springs, they told me no... 5 months later, had to buy all 4 new tires cause my camber was sooo fucked... I knew fuck all bout lowering cars at the time...

dj_rice
02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Maybe it was the location u went to?

heavyD
02-08-2005, 03:34 PM
The tirecraft by Macleod tr. by the Back Alley. Isn't that the one that does alot of imports? They did my old Del Sol with no problems.:dunno:

djfob
02-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
The tirecraft by Macleod tr. by the Back Alley. Isn't that the one that does alot of imports? They did my old Del Sol with no problems.:dunno:

If I was to get a shop to lower I'd also go here, might as well get a shop that can also align it after the spring install.

EnRich
02-08-2005, 03:57 PM
WHy not take an import to T&T Honda... They can do it too... and allign it after it was lowered...

dj_rice
02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Cuz its a dealership and they charge more than other shops on certain occasions

BumpinTalon
02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
you better have shocks too or you will look like an idiot when your car bounces down an entire block and handles like garbage. and get a camber kit to save on tires.
do it yourself, there are tons and tons of guides on how to do it on the internet and you can rent the special tools for very cheap from lots of places, like NAPA.

Celica TVS3
02-08-2005, 04:38 PM
You might not need to get new shocks - it depends on the condition they are in + the spring rate of your new springs. If they have a spring rate much higher than stock you might as well pick yourself up some new shocks just so you don't have to do it 20k later.

How much are you going to drop your car? What kind of springs did you buy? Depending on the drop you might be in the range of the stock camber adjustment.

I would suggest you make a post asking for help from other members of this forum. I'm sure many of them have swapped springs on an integra. If you had a 7th Gen Celica i would say come over with beer!:)

asp integra
02-08-2005, 10:01 PM
i bought some BandG lowering springs fromm speedtech a while ago, and they are pretty stiff, about 1.5 to 2 inch drop

b16Ateg
02-08-2005, 10:18 PM
tirecraft put my springs and they criped my shocks and i lost my warrenty on them.. cos they blow the day after i got my springs installed .. but i dunno its your own judgement.. i would do it yourself

oddjob
02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Don't go cheap, go to speedtech and have it done right.

KoukiS14
02-09-2005, 12:58 AM
DIY, its not that hard.

asp integra
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
ya i am just wondering about the rest of the suspension, if all i need is the lowering springs then that will be good but if i need other parts then i am not sure

Aleks
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I would go for better shocks. But camber kit is up to you. Everyone says you need a camber kit. My camber is -2.5 up front it's ugly but my toe in is set to 0. I haven't had any wear in 4 months now. Toe is what ruins your tires more so than camber.

GTS Jeff
02-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I would go for better shocks. But camber kit is up to you. Everyone says you need a camber. My camber is -2.5 up front it's ugly but my toe in is set to 0. I haven't had any wear in 4 months now. :werd: with proper toe settings for street use, mad camber isnt too big of a deal if u drive the car hard enough.

7thgenvic
02-09-2005, 03:29 PM
PM hightower! he may do it for you if he has time! and he does nice work! PS. its a honda it isn't that hard!

BumpinTalon
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
you really better get new shocks, don't believe what people say about not needing them. as soon as you lower your car, the stroke of the stock struts is shortened much worse and you will wear through your shocks very quickly, esecially lowered 1.5"-2"

frostyda9
02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
If you're just doing the springs, I'd DIY. You have to make a choice though, if you're going more than 1.5-2" drop, you really do need aftermarket shocks and camber correction. It's so tempting to just drop it with springs, but in the end you'll kick youself because you'll have to do it all over again, and probably be down a set of tires, too.

Speedtech did my coilovers and bushings, and Alvin Automotive did my camber and alignment. I'd recomend both :thumbsup:

asp integra
02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
how much did speed tech charge u? and if i can get a camber kit for 100 bux is that a good eal

frostyda9
02-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
how much did speed tech charge u? and if i can get a camber kit for 100 bux is that a good deal

Well, the majority of the time it took to do my setup was torching out the bushings. I am not sure what the suspension install by itself was, sorry. Call Speedtech and see what they say :)

For the camber, a quality kit will probably be about $100-125 (per side) on the front. For the rear camber, I'm pretty sure you can use the washer shim trick as shown below. I've had no problems at all using washers like this.

Aleks
02-12-2005, 08:57 PM
You DO NOT NEED a camber kit! Yes it works and yes it brings the wheels back to spec but Set you toe in to 0, rotate tires every 10K and you Will be fine! Besides you can spend 400 bux for a camber kit which means you could buy another set of hi performance tires when and if yours wear out. Ask yourself how long will you keep the car or keep it lowered. In my opinion it is not worth it.

frostyda9
02-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I guess it all depends how much you're dropped.
One thing is for sure, toe will kill tires faster than camber.

Here's my tire, with a camber of -1.80 and a toe of 0.07

Moonracer
02-13-2005, 12:57 AM
I had mine done at speedtech as well. There was no way I would have been able to do it myself. The bushings were totally shot and seized in there and it took them half a day and alot of swearing to get them out. I had them install: springs, shocks and urathane bushings, what a difference! Glad I had it done right the first time. Can't remember the exact price but it was reasonable for a shop. Goodluck whatever way you go. :)

asp integra
02-14-2005, 08:56 PM
so if i lower the car should i replace the shocks? also how much would that cost for all 4 wheels, also depending on how good my shocks are right now, would i just be able to replace the springs and thats it? not worry about shocks?

frostyda9
02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
you really better get new shocks, don't believe what people say about not needing them. as soon as you lower your car, the stroke of the stock struts is shortened much worse and you will wear through your shocks very quickly, esecially lowered 1.5"-2"

The new springs will also have a siffer spring rate, which will likely be too much for the stock shocks to damp on rebound. The only exception would be springs that only drop a little, like the Eibach Pro Kits. I believe they are ok on stock shocks.

Save your change and do it right man, you will regret going cheap in the long run

$.02