PDA

View Full Version : workout suppliments

ramminghard
12-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Anyone on here use them? If so which ones and what they are supposed to do. I have been looking into them but not sure which ones are worth the money. any help would be great.

davidI
12-20-2002, 07:24 PM
I only use protein. It's the most commonly used supplement as it speeds muscled growth. Whey Protein is the type of choice as Soy Protein can actually increase the amount of feminin horomones in your body!

Creatine is another well known supplement. Most people think of Cell Tech when they hear of creatine but it's a definate waste of money. Creatine basically causes water retention in Cells and allows your muscles to repair faster. Although it is good for quick increases in size and usually an increase in the amount of weight you push and can cause the muscles to look bloated. You also must consume a lot of water while on creatine.

Glutamine or L-Glutamine allow for the muscles to repair faster allowing you to re-train them sooner.

Hydroxycut, Ephedra, ECA (Ephedra - Aspirin - Caffeine) Stacks are all intended to promote bf loss. They speed up a person heart rate and cause for the fat to be burned off more quickly. Although I'd never use it due to the side effect ie. heart attacks some people find really good results from them.

Weight Gain Powders will usually contain a mix of carbs, protein and dextrose etc. to increase calories in your diet. If you really want to get big just eat lots. Lots of eggs, tuna and other protein rich foods.

I'm still looking for a good place in Calgary to buy protein so if anyone knows of one that would be great.

Diesel
12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
well, I think it all depends on how big your budget is...but, if I were you I'd judt stick to the basics and get a good Whey Protein Powder - preferably something that has Isolate in it. It's the purest form of protein, and it dosen't upset you stomach.

A good multivitamin, and multimineral.

From there you can add other supplements:

glutamine
creatine
EFA's

There's lots of good places, but my favorite to buy from is Better Bodies on 16th...

Si_FlyGuy
12-20-2002, 07:26 PM
How's your diet?:D

ramminghard
12-20-2002, 07:43 PM
i eat fairly healthy.

Diesel
12-20-2002, 07:44 PM
just make sure that you're getting adequate calories, and enough lean protein in your diet.

ramminghard
12-20-2002, 07:47 PM
so if you were recommending any one suppliment it would be protein.

Si_FlyGuy
12-20-2002, 07:56 PM
It depends what your goal is, and where you are now...hehe..do you want to be like that pimp Leo? hehe

Diesel
12-20-2002, 08:08 PM
simply put, if you want to put muscle on, take in more protein...
if you want to lose fat, take it more protein....

I would suggest it to be the cornerstone of your supplement program.

and make sure to drink plenty of water...it will help in the digestion process.

ramminghard
12-20-2002, 08:27 PM
ihad quite a bit of muscle but i have had many injuries that have kept me out of the gym untill now. i am basically looking to tone the muscle i have and maybe build up some more. Also lose the fat caused by lack of excercise and lots of drinking.

davidI
12-20-2002, 08:44 PM
it's hard to tone muscle ie. lose fat while building more.

Usually people will bulk by eating everything they can and lifting heavy weights and then once they get to 10-15 pounds above the size they'd like to be they start cutting down to that ideal size by increasing cardio and cutting down on Carb consumption.

It is possible to gain a little bit of muscle while losing fat but it's much more difficult.

ramminghard
12-20-2002, 08:55 PM
and something like protein can help. i allready eat a good amount of protein.

Diesel
12-20-2002, 09:37 PM
yeah, but where do you get most of your protein? and how much is a "good amount"? you want to consume 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight...everyday, consistently.

The best food choices for protein sources are lean chicken, beef, and fish, along with egg whites, etc.

Hipermax_d
12-20-2002, 11:06 PM
i tried whey. but its just gross when you put it in milk or chocolate milk. dont know if they even helped me or made a difference at all.

just eat healthy and eat a lot

davidI
12-20-2002, 11:10 PM
you can get flavoured whey that doesn't taste too bad. Believe me, you'll teach your self to eat gross stuff. How do you think a dozen eggs a day taste or a couple cans of tuna straight are? Chocolate Whey is a delicacy after eating that stuff.

importbabe
12-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Diesel

There's lots of good places, but my favorite to buy from is Better Bodies on 16th...

Yeah better Bodies on 16th across peter's.
The owner and I have a GOOD relationship:poosie:

That.Guy.S30
03-03-2003, 09:44 PM
dont take the suppliments. do it naturally in the gym. increase the reps. decrease in wieghts. you can see the change in 2 months if you already have the mass. and just eat right. but if you want the easy way out take hydroxycut. it really works.. but it has some side effects like insomnia. i dont know how the hell to spell it but you get what i mean

GTS Jeff
03-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by importbabe

Yeah better Bodies on 16th across peter's.
The owner and I have a GOOD relationship:poosie: u give the owner bad blowjobs to get discounts at the store?

davidI
03-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by surfertech
dont take the suppliments. do it naturally in the gym. increase the reps. decrease in wieghts. you can see the change in 2 months if you already have the mass. and just eat right. but if you want the easy way out take hydroxycut. it really works.. but it has some side effects like insomnia. i dont know how the hell to spell it but you get what i mean

Other side effects include increased heart rate, possibility of heart attack, heavy shaking and breathing and I've heard people get a buzz for the first little while.

Personally I'd do like surfertech says and do it naturally. Cut the calories, increase the water intake, hit some cardio and you'll sweat it off in no time!

Hakkola
03-03-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm going for a physical on monday and I'm going to find out what the doctor thinks is the best for me, I suggest you do the same for best results.

I've had supplements before with some bad side effects so I'd say be careful, it's stupid not to consult a doctor before taking supplements and such.

88 CRX
03-03-2003, 11:12 PM
If you really want to burn alot of fat you can take ephedrine, I will speed up your heart rate alot, but only take it on cycles. (1 month on 1 month off) If you already have the muscle mass its a great way to get ripped!!!

lammer
03-03-2003, 11:45 PM
im trying to do cardio, what do you guys suggest? i have slow/low metabolism, whatever i eat it stays in side me, i hate that!!

RiCE-DaDDy
03-04-2003, 12:49 AM
i heard of some bad side effects like kidney stones from creatine and such. anything else?

ninjak84
03-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
i heard of some bad side effects like kidney stones from creatine and such. anything else?

Once you stop using creatine, you're fucked!
All your "muscle" turns into water, and you're worse off than before.
Haha, there's this guy from Beave that used to use it, and now he looks pathetic... he was ripped when he was on it though. He would exercise everyday!

mwmhong
03-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by davidI
you can get flavoured whey that doesn't taste too bad. Believe me, you'll teach your self to eat gross stuff. How do you think a dozen eggs a day taste or a couple cans of tuna straight are? Chocolate Whey is a delicacy after eating that stuff.

Hey I like eggs!
They sell them in little 250mL cartons like milk and you can drink them raw! :drool:
Each little carton is roughly 25-30 g protein (depending on whole/whites).

Kraft Dinner is good too. :bigpimp:

Place at the gym offers a free gym bag with a 5lb tub of whey proetin powder, maybe I'll go get some.

davidI
03-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Once you stop using creatine, you're fucked!
All your "muscle" turns into water, and you're worse off than before.
Haha, there's this guy from Beave that used to use it, and now he looks pathetic... he was ripped when he was on it though. He would exercise everyday!

What you said is basically right. Creatine causes water retention within your muscles. This does give a larger look to them but also causes the muslces to look somewhat bloated. The good thing about creatine is that it speeds recovery time so that you can lift again sooner. If you're going to use it cycle it. You should look around on the net but I'd guess about a 6 week on - 3 week off cycle. It is still unknown whether the creatine or the creatinine derivative are bad for your kidneys or not. Like anything else I would say it's probably bad in excess.

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 01:19 PM
As long as you stay away from anything with effedrin, you should be OK. It is basically speed, and can have long terme affects. Dont know much about Creatine, but doesn't sound good. Protein in a natural way (Chicken, Fish, Eggs, etc) would be your best bet. If you want to loose weight as well, stay away from the Carbohydrates. There are numerous carbo-free diets that work wonders, its just hard not to have any bread/sugar products.

davidI
03-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Best Bang for your buck supplement in my opinion would be Whey or Creatine. If you're looking to bulk look into some NLarge2 and DON'T buy Cell-Tech. It works great but it's overpriced. If you're looking at using creatine search around on the net and make some of your own Cell-Tech for 1/3 the price.

And no matter whether you're trying to bulk or lose weight...DRINK WATER!

max_boost
03-04-2003, 03:22 PM
You guys are crazy! I just work out lots and eat lots.....that's about it for me.....

But....I notice I am getting a lot stronger, what use to be heavy is now light! haha and I have a higher metabolism.....but my body isn't shaping up......what' sup with that?!?! lol

max_boost
03-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
As long as you stay away from anything with effedrin, you should be OK. It is basically speed, and can have long terme affects. Dont know much about Creatine, but doesn't sound good. Protein in a natural way (Chicken, Fish, Eggs, etc) would be your best bet. If you want to loose weight as well, stay away from the Carbohydrates. There are numerous carbo-free diets that work wonders, its just hard not to have any bread/sugar products.

Baltimore Orioles player died from it effedra......

All protein and no carbs=ATKINS diet! and man, that thing works! My buddies have lost quite a bit of weight on that diet!

Weapon_R
03-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You guys are crazy! I just work out lots and eat lots.....that's about it for me.....

But....I notice I am getting a lot stronger, what use to be heavy is now light! haha and I have a higher metabolism.....but my body isn't shaping up......what' sup with that?!?! lol

Some guys work out for years and build massive amounts of muscle, but it never really shows...it's all about the toning now. Toning sucks and is boring, but it's the best way to make that muscle look the way you want it to.

MrX
02-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

What is the end goal that you are looking to get? Big muscle mass, bigger/ tone, or lean cut?

I encountered the same problem as you did with the getting stronger. It was from doing the same cycle of exercises without changing up the routine. Your muscles create a memory for the workout and that's when you see the changes in your bodyshape stop. I'm in the process of starting up a different workout program, but I'm setting some goals this time so I know what/ where I'm gonna get.

hockeybronx
02-21-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Diesel
simply put, if you want to put muscle on, take in more protein...
if you want to lose fat, take it more protein....

Only partially true, protein that is not needed by muscles from working out turns into fat after a short period of time. As long as you are working with cardio along with weights and protein you will lose weight.

Just taking protein and sitting around will make you fatta!

JordanLotoski
02-21-2004, 02:54 AM
nutrex;)

YCB
02-21-2004, 03:10 AM
what an old thread